Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Ford Transit Hi-Cube Conversion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

seen it going into town at the retail park last night. looks well if ya had time it would look well to paint the bottom half black and a cover for the spare wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

seen it going into town at the retail park last night. looks well if ya had time it would look well to paint the bottom half black and a cover for the spare wheel.

All part of the plan. Will paint it in a few weeks, but just wanted to get away this weekend first.

Black up to the swage line I think... Didn't think of getting a cover for the wheel. Where would I get one? (On the cheap of course..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

All part of the plan. Will paint it in a few weeks, but just wanted to get away this weekend first.

Black up to the swage line I think... Didn't think of getting a cover for the wheel. Where would I get one? (On the cheap of course..)
    ebay id sa. its the small things that finish it. happy motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

great to hear that you are up and running
    enjoyed following your progress
    safe travels;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

hope you'd a great weekend!

• Advertisement

It certainly was. I'll have a good waffle about it tomorrow evening, and will update the build finish and snags I came across etc.....

Ok, so I thought long and hard about actually putting carpet into the front part of the van, but I wasn't too sure how it would have turned out. Primarily because I'm not a carpet fitter and would most likely make a pox of it ;)

Anyway, I dug out the old mat from the front from under a pile of scrap and it was surprisingly in good shape. One powerwash and a scrub later and it was as good as new (ish) so I stuck it back into the front. It looks quite good and I'm happy with it.

Campervan_adventures_183.jpg

And, thanks to a donation from my auntie, I had carpet from a room that was rarely used. Again, I'm not a carpet fitter, so the fit wasn't perfect. I got some edging strip from a local wood flooring place and did the step on the side door, the back door, and a joiner strip to go between the two carpets. Damn drill bit pulled a thread in the carpet..... (Its a custom feature). I also lined the front of the seat base. Not bad eh?

Campervan_adventures_186.jpg

Campervan_adventures_185.jpg

Campervan_adventures_189.jpg

Also found a neat little hiding place for the table......:D

I got the second main seat cushion cut down to size and had the cover adjusted. Now there's a set of cushions that actually fit together as a bed. Also a view of the floor with the new carpet. You can also see the lap belt that's there for the passenger in the back.

Campervan_adventures_187.jpg

Campervan_adventures_188.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

really nice job man. :D

Next job was figuring out how to mount the wheel on the back door. I didn't have a mount like what's on a jeep, so I made one out of some steel and threaded bar. (sounds like make and do, where I make things out of pipe cleaners and loo roll inserts)

Took a bit of work, and was a pain, but its done. The wheel sits tight to the door now, and the lock nuts hold it tightly in place.

The frame fitted on the inside panel of the door. Fixed to the side ribs for a bit of stability..

Campervan_adventures_191.jpg

El resulto....
    Campervan_adventures_192.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well done, I see the bunk made it into the build!

Happy camping. I actually tested 2 campers today, a 06 Master and a 93 LHD Transit

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

well done fingers,
    been watching your progress for a while,
    wishing you and yours many happy times in it,:D:D
    are you gonna give it a name?

So, for some finishing off little jobs....

I fitted a radio into the van...

Campervan_adventures_184.jpg

Little vanity unit in the bathroom, over the toilet.

Campervan_adventures_194.jpg

Panel around the bathroom sink (carpet on floor too, but only temporary measure) Bathroom walls will also be lined with something in the future.....

Campervan_adventures_193.jpg

Ceiling and light in the bathroom

Campervan_adventures_199.jpg

And thats...... thats about it really.

well done fingers,
    been watching your progress for a while,
    wishing you and yours many happy times in it,:D:D
    are you gonna give it a name?

Thanks, Yeah, we had a chat about it over the weekend. For some reason, we think RED is a good name... Will put it on the side of the van I think

Slidey wrote: »
    Well done, I see the bunk made it into the build!

Happy camping. I actually tested 2 campers today, a 06 Master and a 93 LHD Transit

Thanks. It certainly did and does the job indeed. Much appreciated for the help with that. Was in Cawleys today and they had one in for a test too.

When we were on the road this weekend, we counted 75 campers on the road alone, not including what was in the parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

we were in loughkey sat night and all but about 3 or 4 pitches were full,
    i even commented to the dragon (wife!:p) that theyre was loads of vans on the go aswell,
    are you going to limerick racecourse in two weeks?

we were in loughkey sat night and all but about 3 or 4 pitches were full,
    i even commented to the dragon (wife!:p) that theyre was loads of vans on the go aswell,
    are you going to limerick racecourse in two weeks?

Whats on in Limerick in two weeks?

I'm mad for heading away to meet up at events and that, but my good lady girlfriend has booked us on a holiday for the last week in may, so I doubt I'll be out before than. But I imagine we'll be looking for places to go after that, so don't hesitate to mention...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Whats on in Limerick in two weeks?

Motorhome Parade in aid of your chosen Charity - Limerick Racecourse - 13th-15th May 2011 See Safe Nights Ireland. I wouldn't mind going but missus WildWater isn't too keen as the little WildWaters would be hard work if there isn't much to keep them occupied.

Anyway congrats Fingers , seriously well done. No way I would ever have taken that project on but I really enjoyed the thread. Will give you a big wave if we ever see you on the road.

Best wishes and I hope you have many many great times in her.

WildWater

WildWater wrote: »
    Motorhome Parade in aid of your chosen Charity - Limerick Racecourse - 13th-15th May 2011 See Safe Nights Ireland. I wouldn't mind going but missus WildWater isn't too keen as the little WildWaters would be hard work if there isn't much to keep them occupied.

Anyway congrats Fingers , seriously well done. No way I would ever have taken that project on but I really enjoyed the thread. Will give you a big wave if we ever see you on the road.

Best wishes and I hope you have many many great times in her.

WildWater
    Thanks for that
    Will check the SNI link out
    What you rolling on, and I'll keep an eye for you when I'm on the road.

I know what you mean about the little uns. We realized very quickly how much work the little fingers can be when you dpn't have something to occupy them

Thanks for that

What you rolling on, and I'll keep an eye for you when I'm on the road.

I know what you mean about the little uns. We realized very quickly how much work the little fingers can be when you dpn't have something to occupy them

This be our 6 week old (to us a least) baby.
    Camper.jpg

That's a nice bus. One day I will have myself one like that. One day. Here's hoping you have many happy and safe years with it.

• Advertisement

That's a nice bus. One day I will have myself one like that. One day. Here's hoping you have many happy and safe years with it.

Thanks, it only took years of savings :eek::eek::eek: But based on the last few weeks... Soooooooo worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Congrats on getting her finished and out for an adventure Fingers. Have been following the thread all along, and nice to see it done. Some very novel, outside the box, thinking gone into it to (like spare wheel carrier) so fair play to you - hope you've many happy adventures :cool:
    I got some edging strip from a local wood flooring place and did the step on the side door, the back door, and a joiner strip to go between the two
    Can I ask (currently working on a storage unit for our 4x4) - was the edging strip expensive?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Can I ask (currently working on a storage unit for our 4x4) - was the edging strip expensive?

Not really, but it depends on how much you need of it. It cost me €19 for a 3 meter strip of it. Incidentally, it wasn't the lip I wanted. Ideally I wanted brass, with a bigger lip but that's all I could get. Its slightly larger on the down length than normal. The strip is designed for an edge of a wood floor. There's a self adhesive backing on it, but I drilled it and countersunk the screws into it. I'd recommend using screws on them though.

WildWater wrote: »
    Thanks, it only took years of savings :eek::eek::eek: But based on the last few weeks... Soooooooo worth it.

What year is it? It certainly looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cheers for that Fingers. Like yourself, I wouldn't consider myself particularly talented with the carpet laying :D

Who'd a thunk from such humble beginnings, such a transformation would have happened. I have to admit i didn't believe it at times. I went back through the photos today and got all nostalgic.......

P1020312.jpg

Top Dog wrote: »
    Cheers for that Fingers. Like yourself, I wouldn't consider myself particularly talented with the carpet laying :D

I know what you mean...:o
    Not perfect, but I did my best. Carpet material, the black and the grey was easy enough to work with, but the actual carpet was a bitch. Hateful stuff......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hardibuck

Great thread Fingers, congradulations on getting her registered. Was thinking about undertaking a similar conversion myself. Is it a condition of insurance that there has to be two single seats in the front of the van as opposed to the original double seat and single drivers seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Who'd a thunk from such humble beginnings, such a transformation would have happened. I have to admit i didn't believe it at times. I went back through the photos today and got all nostalgic.......

P1020312.jpg

congratulations
    you must be so proud to know that every screw , nut,pipe,wire and accessory was patiently and precisely installed
    i too followed this thread with great interest
    safe travels

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    congratulations
    you must be so proud to know that every screw , nut,pipe,wire and accessory was patiently and precisely installed
    i too followed this thread with great interest
    safe travels

Thanks. Yea, I got a great sense if achievement the first time I took her for a spin after it was finished. I know each nook and cranny in it, every wire, bolt, piece of timber etc.....
    hardibuck wrote: »
    Great thread Fingers, congradulations on getting her registered. Was thinking about undertaking a similar conversion myself. Is it a condition of insurance that there has to be two single seats in the front of the van as opposed to the original double seat and single drivers seat?

No. One of the conditions of the insurance with Dolmen is that there can't be a partition between the driver seats and the back of the van, it needs to be a through way. Check out their website, they list everything. www.dolmen.ie

Advertisement