Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I seen a UFO over Limerick and got a photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I saw saw two too. Terrible movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Agent_99 wrote: »
    I caught a glimpse of three of those lanterns very near the Dock Road on Saturday approximately midnight, as I was vacating my place of work.

that was friends of mines work.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

A chinese lantern.. miles away.. being picked up by a ****ty camera at nighttime, behind a high powered street lamp.

Sounds completely legit.

You are all a bunch of government shills trying to drowned this evidence of aliens with your ****posting.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

mamolian wrote: »
    A chinese lantern.. miles away.. being picked up by a ****ty camera at nighttime, behind a high powered street lamp.

Sounds completely legit.

You are all a bunch of government shills trying to drowned this evidence of aliens with your ****posting.

:cool:

I love the drunk posts on Boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Chonaic mé UFO sa spéir agus fuair mé griangraif :pac:

Seeing a post "as Gaeilge" reminded me of that science-fiction show about them. Think there's even a newer version of it out now.

Think it's called Bhí.

• Advertisement

Have you seen this DVD Lee Burn?

40_year_old_virgin_dvd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Good sirs I come to you today to tell you once more in the most verbose fashion about a related encounter, my story telling is both verbose and yet concise as to prevent further dissembling by those who would claim to be literary masterminds and those who would use ad hominem to dispute my claims of having seen a craft of unidentified origin.

So upon this day the 31'st of October I did take it upon myself to venture beyond my locale in search of exercise by pedestrian methods, upon my person I did carry my spectacles for which give me perfect visionary aptitude, so no man may dispute my claims that my senses were well tuned on this most windy of nights.

So upon my crossing of William street near the two banks on the corner I did notice in the sky an orange light, silently moving at not further than one thousand five hundred feet distant, I did put the young ladies in Halloween costumes who had clearly come from some late night drinking establishment whom I had been content to watch out of my mind and did turn my full attention to the object of interest in the sky above me.

After much observation and deduction and having watched the object move quickly across the sky I came to the conclusion that it was terrestrial in nature and most assuredly some form of flying balloon or lantern using convection from some form of wax candle to produce lift and relying on winds for lateral motion, I did thereafter search my mind for the memories of the object in the original post and I did most diligently compare them both whilst in deep concentration at the corner of william street and gerald griffin street.

I have deduced my good peers, and I can say this with absolute confidence and no hint of pride, that the flying lantern device I witnessed above me tonight was absolutely not the same object that I did observe on the 11'th of October, it moved lower, faster and was clearly a soft light, need I remind you that with my spectacles I would declare that my observational abilities were quite astute, so to surmise for my patient readers and peerless friends of the internet, the object on the 11'th was clearly not the same domestic convection powered balloon that I did witness today.

GOOD DAY SIRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's a chinese lantern. Have a google of them :) We get reports of them all the time in the astronomy forum.

Yes I have let these off but by the time they actually take off the lantern burns out after 5mins or less so I doubt it if this is what the op seen tbh!

we set some off by nicholas street and they were spotted down the dock road later. things can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Between 18:00 and 19:00 over Limerick city. First formation was of five lights,tracked from the South East three low and two high.Orange in colour.NO navigation or landing lights or jet noise.Tracked to the south of Limerick and disappered.
    Second flight appx 10 mins later came from the SE horizion In a perfect arrowhead formation with one trailing.I'm sorry but that is not possible for them to be Chinese lanterns.They then went into a straight line formation and disappered to the South of Limerick within a four minute time period.The wind,whaever it was 0/5 mph was coming from the West.These things flew against the wind.
    For the Hell of it I rang Shannon ATC.They had nothing on radar for anything within 50 miles of Limerick or expected any aircraft until later in that hour. Radar in Shannon is pretty good if it can pick up a flock of birds..I estimate their height at around 10 to 15 thousand feet.Witnessed as well by an independant witness with me.

These were not weather baloons,fireworks,lanterns,helicopters or aircraft.

The distance between them would preclude tethered baloons or lanterns.
    As a hobby pilot I would know what a aircraft at nite would look like.
    No idea what they were..:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dublin is covered in lanterns and balloons tonight, I'd say any strange sightings in Limerick are built along the same models ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Saw a chinese lantern tonight over Maynooth, about 8:15 or 8:20. The first I've ever seen up in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I hate to rain on your parade grizzly but I do think that today they were lanterns, between 18:00 and 23:00 there was a constant stream of them being sent off from around steamboat quay, every time I looked out the window of my flat towards steamboat there was loads of the bloody things flying around the place, I watched maybe 30 of them fly over the Shannon towards the northwest quite quickly as winds seemed quite strong.

However if you say that they were going against the wind and that they something else entirely I wont dispute you as I know that what I witnessed on the 11'th October wasn't a lantern either.

what day grizzly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Ya guys I saw them as well,on sveral occasions and they are Chinese lanterns.

One of which I saw quite low in castletroy a few weeks past and last night I saw a ton of them over the city as we drove in.

I saw a Chinese Lantern last night, it was flying low over the Cement Factory doing .5 warp speed and I'm 99.9% sure it was snagged on the nose cone of a visiting Intergalactic Reconnaissance Spaceship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I welcome our new sky lantern alien overlords

2mg2upt.jpg

s2xgeg.jpg
    As you can see they are flying in a triangular pattern, so obvious signs of intelligence (unlike myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Last night (halloween for those who are stupid and didn't know) there were fireworks festivals in swords ballymun and city centre dublin were thousands of chinese lanterns where lite and set away.
    NOT UFO'S

end of story

Thread should be closed

Last night (halloween for those who are stupid and didn't know) there were fireworks festivals in swords ballymun and city centre dublin were thousands of chinese lanterns where lite and set away.
    NOT UFO'S

end of story

Thread should be closed

Pssst i know they are lanters, I'm playing along!

Shhhhh!

NOT UFO'S

end of story

Thread should be closed

Who the fcuk are you?

- They may be Idiots but they're our Idiots, go pick on your own Idiots.

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Pssst i know they are lanters, I'm playing along!

Shhhhh!

wasn't saying it too you was saying it too everyone in general

Raiser wrote: »
    Who the fcuk are you?

- They may be Idiots but they're our Idiots, go pick on your own Idiots.

i could be someone you know then again you the leader of the idiots so i should leave you lot to litterally bang heads over a stupid issue or in simple terms a candle with fabric around it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

forrest_l.jpg

Stupid is as stupid does! :D

I think this thread adds something a little bit different to the forum, so I won't be locking it. Who knows, we may even discover a real UFO over Limerick some day!

good luck with search :)

i could be someone you know then again you the leader of the idiots so i should leave you lot to litterally bang heads over a stupid issue or in simple terms a candle with fabric* around it

*paper

i could be someone you know then again you the leader of the idiots so i should leave you lot to litterally bang heads over a stupid issue or in simple terms a candle with fabric around it
    forrest_l.jpg

Stupid is as stupid does! :D

I think this thread adds something a little bit different to the forum, so I won't be locking it. Who knows, we may even discover a real UFO over Limerick some day!

I don't know anyone called Bilko though, the Browns in number 19 are the closest match....

You flatter me!!! - No Insect Overlord is the Idiot Leader, hmmm, that reads badly, I mean the one who leads the Idiots, naturally.....

- They should really fit those Chinese Lanterns with Radio Systems so at least if they are being piloted by Aliens we could communicate with them and try to determine their intentions.

Its probably something the green Party might be interested in ring-fencing funding for ?

The one i bought only had cardboard, not a candle. I considered swapping it out, but thought would add too much weight!
    By the way, has anyone found a lantern after that landed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Gneez wrote: »
    So there I was going for a stroll Monday night, about 11:30pm (oct 11'th) had my headphones in and was walking down Thomas street (the newly pedestrianized part near mickey martins) and I caught sight over the buildings of a low flying, bright orange light that was moving slowly towards the northwest, It was completely silent and I estimate it at about 3 or 4 thousand feet in height, it was not a helicopter or plane, several people said to me that they thought it could be a Chinese lantern on a helium balloon which I concede it may have been, but to me the light was bright, intense and had a definite electric quality to it, it also moved like an artificial object (steady pace at about 4,000 feet height) and the light it was putting out gave me the distinct impression that it was artificial in nature.

By the way I've worked night shifts in Shannon for a long time, I know what planes and helicopters and ancillary aircraft look and sound like at night, this was nothing I've ever seen before, anyway here are the 3 photo's and video, unfortunately the photo's aren't exactly conclusive and as far as I can tell there was no other witness's (there was a guy and girl down the alley behind me where kranks korner used to be and I shouted to them to look at the giant glowing orb in the sky but apparently a dirty alley handjob was more interesting than UFO's to both of them)

Youtube video
    mate that's a Chinese lantern like this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV7nQU7iaCg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Max Hunter

Gneez wrote: »
    So there I was going for a stroll Monday night, about 11:30pm (oct 11'th) had my headphones in and was walking down Thomas street (the newly pedestrianized part near mickey martins) and I caught sight over the buildings of a low flying, bright orange light that was moving slowly towards the northwest, It was completely silent and I estimate it at about 3 or 4 thousand feet in height, it was not a helicopter or plane, several people said to me that they thought it could be a Chinese lantern on a helium balloon which I concede it may have been, but to me the light was bright, intense and had a definite electric quality to it, it also moved like an artificial object (steady pace at about 4,000 feet height) and the light it was putting out gave me the distinct impression that it was artificial in nature.

By the way I've worked night shifts in Shannon for a long time, I know what planes and helicopters and ancillary aircraft look and sound like at night, this was nothing I've ever seen before, anyway here are the 3 photo's and video, unfortunately the photo's aren't exactly conclusive and as far as I can tell there was no other witness's (there was a guy and girl down the alley behind me where kranks korner used to be and I shouted to them to look at the giant glowing orb in the sky but apparently a dirty alley handjob was more interesting than UFO's to both of them)

Youtube video

That is so strange.

I was walking the dog on the the golf course, Kenmare Saturday night around 19.30. I noticed the very same light moving about three times the speed of a jet.

I've seen a few shooting stars but nothing like this.

• Advertisement

Max Hunter wrote: »
    That is so strange.

I was walking the dog on the the golf course, Kenmare Saturday night around 19.30. I noticed the very same light moving about three times the speed of a jet.

I've seen a few shooting stars but nothing like this.

ISS passed at 19.25 on 30th October.
    EDIT, sorry, 19.57 on saturday, 19.25 on sunday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement