Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4...do you watch it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

no
    Aifric is a great show
    Very funny and clever, been going for a few years now

But the best show was an undertaker going around in his hearse, I don't know the name of it or if it's still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

no
    For years now, new televisions tune themselves in :)

The days of scanning bands are long gone

Well TV3 didnt appear when I did the autoscan on my new telly, and therefore I didnt bother to go find it by tuning in manually. Perhaps my telly is trying to tell me something.

no
    You have a wise television so, looking out for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

no
    Their music programmes are fantastic, regularly watch them on the TG4 player

no
    Even the cailíní are lovely....the girls on Ros na Run, the continuity announcers, the newsreaders. Much nicer looking than those Xpose bimbos :rolleyes::p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

no
    Ros na Rún is fantastic, love it, love it ,love it! For those with better Irish, if you look at the subtitles and then listen to Séamus, you'll see some of his lines are rather milder in translation then they are in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

no
    The Gaa coverage is excellent and much better than RTE. It's occasionally has a movie that I would watch until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

no
    Ros na Rún is fantastic, love it, love it ,love it! For those with better Irish, if you look at the subtitles and then listen to Séamus, you'll see some of his lines are rather milder in translation then they are in Irish.
    This is one of the things I love about RnaR, they get away with murder with the things lost in translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

no
    FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    This is one of the things I love about RnaR, they get away with murder with the things lost in translation.

i don't think they are lost in translation though...

in reverse south park where "you killed kenny you bastard" became "a ubh lofa"

i think ros na rún do it intentionally for those that understand it, otherwise he is simply varying off script!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Aifric is a great show
    Very funny and clever, been going for a few years now

But the best show was an undertaker going around in his hearse, I don't know the name of it or if it's still on.

CU Burn?

• Advertisement

no
    I useda love this show, hopefully it returns for another new series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

no
    Not only do I not watch it, but I spy on my neighbours through their curtains, and if I see them watching TG4, I report them to Michael McDowell as possible dissidents.

*not*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

no
    I used to watch it for spongebob....with subtitles! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

should be taken off the air
    Chick who reads the news is a fox. Oh yeah baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

no
    I'm not into soaps but I'd watch Ros Na Run ok. Good documentaries.
    For the money put into it they do a really good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

no
    Nowadays, I rarely watch TV - perhaps once or twice a month. But here are some of the things which make TG4 stand head and shoulders above any other TV station:

1. Although nobody has mentioned this yet, I loved their non-English language movies. Particularly, I loved all those great, great French movies such as Jean de Florette and its sequel Manon des Sources. Superb, amazingly moving films. Have been a regular in Laser since.

2. Their documentaries, as has been said many times here, are exemplary. Fíorscéal is particularly informative.

3. I love their Irish cultural documentaries - for instance, many years ago they did a documentary which covered how people in Conamara celebrated some feast or other by chasing and then killing a pig. I mentioned it to older Irish people and all of them knew about this tradition. I had never heard of it. I also love their reshowings of Come West Along the Road and the superb Hands series, which showed us a huge number of traditional Irish crafts and traditions such as how people built boats traditionally. It's a refreshing (and educational) break from America's Next Top Model or Britain's Got Talent. And don't mention Big Brother.

4. I'm not mad about sport at all. But I admire the way TG4 shows not the inter-county matches but the small parish matches across Ireland, in both football and hurling. I also think it's cool that they show the regional matches in rugby rather than the big matches, and that they show Spanish soccer rather than (the dominant) British soccer. All of these add something to Irish broadcasting and for that TG4 should really be commended.

TG4 is one of the few areas of society where we're getting value for our money. It, along with National Geographic, adds something to my knowledge of the world. TV3, in contrast, is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

no
    I think TG4 is far and away the best broadcaster in Ireland. My Irish is poor but it doesn't stop me enjoying a lot of the shows on the channel. It's a shame that so many people have such a prejudice against the Irish language that they won't even watch the station. I feel if they did they would be pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety of programming they deliver.

In terms of Irish historical and current affairs documentaries, Irish language programming (I'm including Scannál), is streets ahead of anything RTÉ or TV3 deliver in English.

The only criticism I would make is about their website. A lot of their shows are only up on their online player for a short period (with Mobs Mheiricaeá for example, only two of the episodes are currently available) and also you can't watch the programmes in one piece, they're split into segments.

This is a shame because they have such a great back catalogue of programming it would be fantastic if they were available online.

TG4 dispels the notion that Ireland can't produce good television and really shows RTÉ up for the wasteful incompetents they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

no
    Dionysus wrote: »
    Nowadays, I rarely watch TV - perhaps once or twice a month. But here are some of the things which make TG4 stand head and shoulders above any other TV station:

1. Although nobody has mentioned this yet, I loved their non-English language movies. Particularly, I loved all those great, great French movies such as Jean de Florette and its sequel Manon des Sources. Superb, amazingly moving films. Have been a regular in Laser since.

2. Their documentaries, as has been said many times here, are exemplary. Fíorscéal is particularly informative.

3. I love their Irish cultural documentaries - for instance, many years ago they did a documentary which covered how people in Conamara celebrated some feast or other by chasing and then killing a pig. I mentioned it to older Irish people and all of them knew about this tradition. I had never heard of it. I also love their reshowings of Come West Along the Road and the superb Hands series, which showed us a huge number of traditional Irish crafts and traditions such as how people built boats traditionally. It's a refreshing (and educational) break from America's Next Top Model or Britain's Got Talent. And don't mention Big Brother.

4. I'm not mad about sport at all. But I admire the way TG4 shows not the inter-county matches but the small parish matches across Ireland, in both football and hurling. I also think it's cool that they show the regional matches in rugby rather than the big matches, and that they show Spanish soccer rather than (the dominant) British soccer. All of these add something to Irish broadcasting and for that TG4 should really be commended.

TG4 is one of the few areas of society where we're getting value for our money. It, along with National Geographic, adds something to my knowledge of the world. TV3, in contrast, is abysmal.

+1
    TG4 seem to understand what's required of a public service broadcaster far more than RTÉ do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

no
    There is very little on RTE 1 that I would watch - apart from Reeling in the Years!! Net 2 - apart from GAA- has little also - CSI's are getting sooooo predictable. TV3 - you must be joking - a rehashed UTV. TG4 has fantastic sport coverage - particularly GAA - club level throughout the winter is brill - ladies football - camoige, aussie rules and now of course the rugby. Their sport coverage alone is better than most of the ' best of' programmes on the other 3 put together.
    I have the free to air uk channels and to be honest I watch them alot - TG4 gets most - about 80% - of the viewing between the other 4 channels.
    I also hear they have some very good programmes in Irish - not much need for a poll really - TG4 is quite clearly the best channel we are producing - cinnte!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

no
    Watch all the GAA matches on there. It's way better than TV3 anyways.

no
    TG4 is taxpayers money well spent.

Maybe Minister for Communications Eamonn Ryan can look at forcing RTÉ and their massive budget to look what at TG4 produce on a very small budget.

No need for presenters with "premiership football" salaries ;)
    Plus the weather girls on TG4, ah sigh!!

Edit; anyway RTÉ always say if they cut salaries their stars will quit. And go to where?
    Joe Duffy gets 400k a year. Philip Boucher Hayes filled in for a few weeks this summer was even better. Give him 100k and the daily slot.
    Marian Finucane gets over 500k. Rachael English on RTÉ is even better, again give her the job for 100k and will do and even better job
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I also hear they have some very good programmes in Irish -

Check out Ros na Run (possible lack of fadas, sorry) and Aifric
    And C U Burn, all fantastic

And that show on the Galway Races, the name is in the thread further back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Where's the option for "only when they show good foreign films"? I don't understand Klingon, but at least the movies have subtitles. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

TG4 uses their budget so well. Great foreign and indie movies. They always show GAA matches. Scannell and fiorsceal are topnotch. They were the first Irish channel to show the ire and this was before it got really popular. I think they are doing a great job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

no
    123balltv wrote: »
    no I never watch it my parents only watch it for the films then they switch it off when the foreign language comes on :)

That's the language we have here, along with English. Welcome to the country. Where you from?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

no
    Watch all the gaelic matches on it! they have lots of county finals on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Used to watch films on TG4 more often than the other three channels, have some interesting foreign films that RTE and TV3 would never show because of the subtitles.
    Has TV3 ever even aired a documentary?

Don't watch it anymore, although that's mainly due to d'internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kowloon wrote: »
    Used to watch films on TG4 more often than the other three channels, have some interesting foreign films that RTE and TV3 would never show because of the subtitles.
    Has TV3 ever even aired a documentary?

this is as good as it gets as regards a documentary on tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

no
    TG4>RTÉ1>RTÉ2>watching paint dry>TV3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I watch a fair bit of TG4, now it also has the Rugby. I think they do a great job.

Advertisement