Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4...do you watch it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

no
    They had a show earlier this year on Irish outlaws and gangsters.
    No, not bankers and politicans ;)

Highwaymen back two or three centuries ago.
    Many ended up on the gallows.

I forget the name, I'd buy the DVD if they released a boxset.

May make a quick phonecall now so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

fruvai wrote: »
    IMO , it's better than RTE and TV3

To be honest I'd say whatever channel they have to watch in Pyongyang is better than TV3.

TG4 show some good movies, they also had The Wire way back when, and some other good stuff from time to time.

Just a pity the rest of it is in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

no
    mailforkev wrote: »
    To be honest I'd say whatever channel they have to watch in Pyongyang is better than TV3.

TG4 show some good movies, they also had The Wire way back when, and some other good stuff from time to time.

Just a pity the rest of it is in Irish.
    Its worth watching some of there other programmes also as they are subtitled and are good ie they cover subject that you wouldnt get on rte. I think my irish has improved slightly trough watching tg4. It is better than rte imo, eg the panel , that show just keeps on getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

should be taken off the air
    Níl

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

no
    i like alot of things on it, the aussie rules, (would prefer the spanish football back) really like the portrayal of college life in seacht, geantraí, one tree hill, two and a half men, true blood, i like the seachtar na cascas series they have running now- learning alot about the other key members of the rising that you dont often hear about, i love their weather girls and tg4 women in general - sexy, like the football coverage, also think aifric is a decent show for teenagers,

tbh id give you tv3 to keep tg4, tv3 seems like an utterly pointless channel, tg4 has alot of merit in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

no
    I think it's the best Irish channel to be honest. The documentaries are brilliant and I watch it for Ros na Rún and once-offs like "Rásaí na Gaillimhe" and "Na Cloigne".

Neelo was a great show too. I think tg4 do more with their tiny budget than rte could ever hope to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

no
    Laochra Gael ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

no
    I think the sports coverage is very good, with prominent club matches as well as league for the GAA. You've got Magnier's League and some greyhound racing thrown in too. The documentaries are good and the weather girls are better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Never heard of it
    Not a big fan of TG4 but I have to admit that Ros na Run is probably the most realistic soap I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

no
    Great channel. I find it really helps with trying to learn Irish too.
    TV3 is the one that should be taken off air, didnt even bother to tune it in on my new telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

no
    TV3 is the one that should be taken off air, didnt even bother to tune it in on my new telly.

For years now, new televisions tune themselves in :)

The days of scanning bands are long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Onesimus wrote: »
    I think it should be taken off the air and replaced with some better channel to be honest. :confused:

I turned it on one night, and it was meant to be a rock show on. All I saw was an eighties wedding dance and some aul one singin behind the mic.

its a poor and boring channel can anyone persuade me otherwise? :pac:

I'll give it a go:D

Firstly the poor and boring comment: TG4 only get a tiny fraction of the money the RTE and TV3 get, but in my opinion, they manage to do do much more with it. As was already mentioned, their documentaries and factual programs are fantastic and far out do the other channels. Ros na Rún is the best Irish soap by far, it deals with more contemporary issues than the likes of Fair City. There's a reason Ros na Run is the one being broadcast in America, and not Fair City;)

I always thought that their dramas did well to keep in touch with RTE, but recently I see the dramas improving as well. "Rasaí na Gaillimhe" (while I wasn't a huge fan) was a big indication of how far they've come and it shows that they can take on RTE, and beat them, in thr drama sector as well. If you don't believe me, wait until "Corp & Anam" comes out in January; that show will make waves.

You turned it on one night and saw something you didn't like? That could happen to every channel; TG4 cater to a very wide demographic so they need different shows for different audiences, I'd just say it was bad timing on your part:p

I really think TG4 is the best channel we have; the products they import (The Wire, Oz, True Blood) and the products they create (Na Cloigne, Rasaí na Gaillimhe, An Crisis, Corp & Anam) are astounding considering the pittence they get every year. Makes you wonder what exaclty RTE spend their vastly superior budget on.

BTW, this isn't a rant at you OP, I juat felt like accepting your challenge:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

should be taken off the air
    No, TG4 is for people who think the potato famine is relevant to today's world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

no
    Confab wrote: »

Potato famine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

no
    Confab wrote: »

ag trolláil :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Never heard of it
    laugh wrote: »
    I watch rugby on it, recently I learned:

Bosca an pheaca = sinbin.

Carta Buí= Yellow Card

Bhí sé san áit ceart ag an am ceart = He was in the right place at the right time

What's the irish for rugby is a pain in the sphinc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

no
    orourkeda wrote: »

Is pian é an rugbaí i mo bhundún

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Never heard of it
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    ag trolláil :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY&feature=related

only joking

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

no
    I think it's great for their Gaa Beo coverage and their Aussie Rules show at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    This is mainly what i watch it for also , they out do rte by a mile in the documentaries category

rte do documentaries?:D

fíorscéal on a sunday night is a quality program.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Haha....i clicked never heard of it thinking that half of after hours would have done the same.....ohh how wrong was I !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

no
    It even had the Cork senior hurling final on last Sunday...what other Channel is going to broadcast that? TG4 also has True Blood on in the early hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

no
    find it very good for sport. Especially for regional games not being covered by national broadcasters. Ie. connacht rugby. online coverage and especially quality of picture on line is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

no
    i love it! i watch programmes on it such as ros na rún, gossip girl, cold case, south park, two and a half men...and now it has rugby also..that's better then tv3's offerings anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

no
    jassha wrote: »
    online coverage and especially quality of picture on line is very good
    1200kbps max and it can adjust up and down according to your connection speed on the fly.

Watching a match I've missed on tg4.tv is great because the quality is much superior to... the rté player for example. A person has to take the load that would be on the rte servers and that of tg4's into account though. You'd be talking about much smaller numbers, so I'm not giving out about rté.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

no
    Onesimus wrote: »
    I think it should be taken off the air and replaced with some better channel to be honest. :confused:

I turned it on one night, and it was meant to be a rock show on. All I saw was an eighties wedding dance and some aul one singin behind the mic.

its a poor and boring channel can anyone persuade me otherwise? :pac:

Are you for real ?
    TG4 is a MUCH BETTER channel then any of the other terrestial channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BotFly

no
    Best national station.
    Superb documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

no
    orourkeda wrote: »

I advise a large suppository 3 times a day for 2 weeks and not watching rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I watch League of Ireland football, The Tour De France and they have Magners league rugby now a days as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

no
    Average-Ro wrote: »
    I'll give it a go:D

Firstly the poor and boring comment: TG4 only get a tiny fraction of the money the RTE and TV3 get, but in my opinion, they manage to do do much more with it. As was already mentioned, their documentaries and factual programs are fantastic and far out do the other channels. Ros na Rún is the best Irish soap by far, it deals with more contemporary issues than the likes of Fair City. There's a reason Ros na Run is the one being broadcast in America, and not Fair City;)

I always thought that their dramas did well to keep in touch with RTE, but recently I see the dramas improving as well. "Rasaí na Gaillimhe" (while I wasn't a huge fan) was a big indication of how far they've come and it shows that they can take on RTE, and beat them, in thr drama sector as well. If you don't believe me, wait until "Corp & Anam" comes out in January; that show will make waves.

You turned it on one night and saw something you didn't like? That could happen to every channel; TG4 cater to a very wide demographic so they need different shows for different audiences, I'd just say it was bad timing on your part:p

I really think TG4 is the best channel we have; the products they import (The Wire, Oz, True Blood) and the products they create (Na Cloigne, Rasaí na Gaillimhe, An Crisis, Corp & Anam) are astounding considering the pittence they get every year. Makes you wonder what exaclty RTE spend their vastly superior budget on.

BTW, this isn't a rant at you OP, I juat felt like accepting your challenge:D

I've just realised it's impossible to 'thank' a post twice. Well said.

Advertisement