Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midnight opening for Cataclysm in Cork on Dec7?

Options
  • 11-10-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know who's doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Do you really think there's a need for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Do you really think there's a need for it?
    Yes of course, I'm a night owl and want to get stuck right into it when it comes out. I can remember watching guys from my old guild leaving on the boat for Northrend when wrath came out. It sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

preload the patch and buy the digital version from battle.net and play straight away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I did that with sc2 and it only allowed me to play from 10am on release day.

If you somehow had a boxed version of wrath you could play from 10pm (russian midnight) the day before which was really great:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

HMV did it last time so would assume they might go for it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

From what I know, Game aren't planning a midnight launch for Cata. Most stores seem to be concentrating on COD and the release of Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,048 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes of course, I'm a night owl and want to get stuck right into it when it comes out. I can remember watching guys from my old guild leaving on the boat for Northrend when wrath came out. It sucked.
    Awwwwww.... did you feel like poor Samwise there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

<link removed as they offer gold selling services> mailed me my CD keys about midday on the day before the WOTLK launch.

Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dustaz wrote: »
    I did that with sc2 and it only allowed me to play from 10am on release day.

If you somehow had a boxed version of wrath you could play from 10pm (russian midnight) the day before which was really great:)

I had my wrath 5 days before release ;)

Although most of that was spend watching the DVD and soundtrack :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Notorious wrote: »
    From what I know, Game aren't planning a midnight launch for Cata. Most stores seem to be concentrating on COD and the release of Kinect.
    kinda odd , both of those launch in early novemember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

play.com / game.co.uk should have it to you day beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

kinda odd , both of those launch in early novemember?

Yup, the 9th and the 10th I think. They only ever do midnight launches for games that the company predict will be big sellers. Recently that's been - COD, Halo and any new hardware. Cataclysm won't sell anywhere near as much as Black Ops will.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

Looks like i will be buying it online from blizzard.. will we be able to pre download it a day before release? dont want to wait 24 hours downloading a big patch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'll do the same as i did with wotlk, download the leaked version of cata the few days before release and buy a cd key online, can jump in as soon as the servers go live

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

Cataclysm won't sell anywhere near as much as Black Ops will.

I'm guessing you mean in ireland itself yeah? Cause if you mean worldwide your wrong, o so very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

COD MW2 sales forcasted at 11m (http://www.xboxic.com/news/5408)

WoW has 12m players, but not all of those buy the game, and of course also in some regions they do a pay per play scheme instead so they dont need it to play cata anyway. On the other hand looks like wotlk did 2.8m on its first day...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

But that's overtime, as on release day there will be basically every subscriber and also some who plan to rejoin for the expansion(as there are always some that would like to see how the game as changed and give it another shot) that's at least 12m people paying 40 quid, thats not even including people, like myself, who plan on buying the special edition. That's roughly about 4.8 mil in the first few days, and thats not including any special edition buyers, which i'd say at least 500k people will be getting it. So yeah, cata will definatly make more on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

er where are you getting these figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

They won't sell as many cod games would but still make a crap load more in the long run, other developers look at Blizzard and drool with jealousy,

Didn't Wotlk have a mid night opening in Ireland?

KilOit wrote: »
    They won't sell as many cod games would but still make a crap load more in the long run, other developers look at Blizzard and drool with jealousy,

Didn't Wotlk have a mid night opening in Ireland?

Yeah it did. I went to one in Game on nassau st and im pretty sure there was another one in the ilac centre or somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,048 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kev_like wrote: »
    But that's overtime, as on release day there will be basically every subscriber and also some who plan to rejoin for the expansion(as there are always some that would like to see how the game as changed and give it another shot) that's at least 12m people paying 40 quid, thats not even including people, like myself, who plan on buying the special edition. That's roughly about 4.8 mil in the first few days, and thats not including any special edition buyers, which i'd say at least 500k people will be getting it. So yeah, cata will definatly make more on the first day.
    Not sure where you pulled those numbers out of. Lest you forget that one of the largest subscriber bases is Mainland China, and they won't be getting Cataclysm for quite a while: Lich King was only approved for release there over the summer.

Yup, the 9th and the 10th I think. They only ever do midnight launches for games that the company predict will be big sellers. Recently that's been - COD, Halo and any new hardware. Cataclysm won't sell anywhere near as much as Black Ops will.
    kind of a moot point but there was a sign up in Game in Dawson St (Dublin) that they're doing a midnight launch , a lot of people are getting the DD instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I've bought it from amazon, £25.70 and £1.99 for guaranteed delivery on Dec 7th.

Decent enough since I'll be at work all day on the 7th anyway.

The midnight launch, is that actually Dec 6th at 12pm(Dec 7th) or Dec 7th at 12 (dec 8th)?

Dustaz wrote: »
    Yeah it did. I went to one in Game on nassau st and im pretty sure there was another one in the ilac centre or somewhere.
    I got from a 24hr tesco in Derry.. there was about 40 people there and only 14 copies.

I was 11th in line and it was 1 per customer :D contemplated selling to people in the queue behind me for an inflated price but thought better of it

DRakE wrote: »
    I've bought it from amazon, £25.70 and £1.99 for guaranteed delivery on Dec 7th.

Decent enough since I'll be at work all day on the 7th anyway.

The midnight launch, is that actually Dec 6th at 12pm(Dec 7th) or Dec 7th at 12 (dec 8th)?

as far as I know it's actually Dec 6th at 12pm

DRakE wrote: »

Yeh, its dec 6/7th. Bet your sorry you ordered from play:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, assuming one wanted to play this as early as possible, would the midnight launch or the digital download be better? Game is about a 5 minute cycle from my house, so i could be there are back pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

DD. It goes live at 12pm Game time.

ie 11pm Irish time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Direct download it is. Although considering i have to work the next day, it probably won't matter that much.

• Advertisement

@Dustaz
    Amazon! I'm working on the 7th anyway so its not a big deal really, i'll spend the day researching which class is best in cata

Advertisement