Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house trainging a puppy

Options
  • 10-10-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

hi all i got a little 8 week old staffy male and he pees and ****s everywhere every few mins it seems im constantly cleaning up after him lol..

iv put down a towel in my room and everytime i see him go or posture about to go i put him on the towel but he wont go then wen hes on it..

hel literally hold it in till i move away and he can get back onto my floor boards!!

anybody have any tips or pointers to put me in the right direction as its getting very tedious!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

The joys of owning a puppy.lol. What are u feeding him? the cheaper food makes them poop more, Are you leaving a constant supply of food with him.

Pups will only be as good as you are, you have to be constant with him. As soon as he wakes, playes, eats, drinks. Basical every 20 mins take him out to where you want him to go. when he goes praise. A pup can be a yr or so old before they are realiable.

Please post a pic. love staffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Talking to a fella who has owned dogs all his life, he swears that grabbing the pup by the scruff of the neck and sticking its nose into the pee works best.

Sounds harsh imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Talking to a fella who has owned dogs all his life, he swears that grabbing the pup by the scruff of the neck and sticking its nose into the pee works best.

Sounds harsh imo.

Please do not do this!! Its cruel and outdated and it doesnt teach the dog anything.

Firslty your pup is only 8 weeks old. They cannot hold it for very long as their bladder is still weak so when they need to go, they do, no matter where it is.

You need to bring the pup out regularly, every half hour, after every meal, drink, play session and sleep.

You need to praise lots so they associate going outside with good rewards.

It will months to train a puppy so you need to be patient.

Crate training will help you too so i would recommend that so maybe look into that too.

Sounds harsh imo.
    Are you serious, i have owned dogs most of my life and no way would i ever do this. That is so cruel. and i imagine the only thing this would achive is to make the dog scared of the owner and prob make the poor thing so scared to toilet that he wont go while the owner is around. Woulf prob end up hiding the fact and toiledt god knows where.

OP please dont take this advice

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

The joys of owning a puppy.lol. What are u feeding him? the cheaper food makes them poop more, Are you leaving a constant supply of food with him.

Pups will only be as good as you are, you have to be constant with him. As soon as he wakes, playes, eats, drinks. Basical every 20 mins take him out to where you want him to go. when he goes praise. A pup can be a yr or so old before they are realiable.

Please post a pic. love staffs

thanks for the advice. yea iv noticed the cheaper food runs threw him iv been feeding him dry mixer with a little hot water to soften it for him and small ceaser puppy food sachets..

any recommended puppy food i.e pedigree etc..

il post a pic of him in a hour or 2 just have to find my charger for the camera

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Sounds harsh imo.

Worst advise ever, I have also had dogs all my life and have found that house training is not actually that hard.

The problem with pups is that their digestive system is not fully developed and as such they have very little control over it. After eating or drinking they will always need to go toilet within 20 mins.

So the trick is - after they eat/drink bring them straight outside and keep them out until they go. Do this after every meal and they will eventually learn to only go outside.

Puppies only need to be fed three times a day, dont leave food out for them. Put it out in the morning, if they dont eat after 15 mins take it away. do the same in the afternnon and evening. this way you can control when they eat and when they go toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He's only 8 weeks and if he will pee and poop a lot for the next few months so you just have to get used to it, have a mop and bucket to hand or place him in a tiled area. They really can't help it at that age and it takes time, some pups are quicker than others but he's bladder wouldn't be fully mature for a few months. Some pups are quickly trained but it still takes a few months and others will still have accidents when they are over a year.

It's a matter of you predicting when he needs to go so taking him outside regularly and staying outside with him to make sure he does it and so you can be there to praise him, ignore the pees and poos in the house and praise him when he does it outside. Don't say a word when he has accidents in the house just clean it up, ignoring the pups naughty behaviour is punishment enough they hate being ignored.

Give it time and you should expect to be woken up (if you are crate training) from1 to 4 times a night for the next couple of weeks/months it's pretty normal. Which is why I got our youngest pup during a summer, made toilet training more pleasant being stuck outside at 3am waiting for him to pee.

davemc180 wrote: »
    thanks for the advice. yea iv noticed the cheaper food runs threw him iv been feeding him dry mixer with a little hot water to soften it for him and small ceaser puppy food sachets..

Pedigree is crap really as is most fo the supermarket brands. I suggest you pop down to your local pet shop and pick up a better quality food like Royal Canin, Red Mills, Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange and so on.

They are much better quality so you dont have to feed as much and you will notice a big difference in their coat, condition and their poops.

Are you serious, i have owned dogs most of my life and no way would i ever do this. That is so cruel. and i imagine the only thing this would achive is to make the dog scared of the owner and prob make the poor thing so scared to toilet that he wont go while the owner is around. Woulf prob end up hiding the fact and toiledt god knows where.

OP please dont take this advice
    Thats what he said to me. I didn't do it with my dog. As I said I thought it was harsh.

andreac wrote: »
    Please do not do this!! Its cruel and outdated and it doesnt teach the dog anything.

Firslty your pup is only 8 weeks old. They cannot hold it for very long as their bladder is still weak so when they need to go, they do, no matter where it is.

You need to bring the pup out regularly, every half hour, after every meal, drink, play session and sleep.

You need to praise lots so they associate going outside with good rewards.

It will months to train a puppy so you need to be patient.

Crate training will help you too so i would recommend that so maybe look into that too.

thanks for the tips.. yea i relise hes still very young and he nos no better.

i no this may sound silly but can they be trained to use a litter tray?:o

• Advertisement

Pedigree is crap really as is most fo the supermarket brands. I suggest you pop down to your local pet shop and pick up a better quality food like Royal Canin, Red Mills, Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange and so on.

They are much better quality so you dont have to feed as much and you will notice a big difference in their coat, condition and their poops.

ah royal canin i never even tot of that my sis breeds poms and chiwowas and this is wat they get fed!!

thanks

thanks for the tips.. yea i relise hes still very young and he nos no better.

i no this may sound silly but can they be trained to use a litter tray?:o

Why would you want them to use a litter tray? If you do this you will have problems then teaching the dog to go outside and if you go somewhere for the day or where theres no litter tray then your dog might hold on and not go for you so i wouldnt advice this.

Can you not bring the dog outside??

Great cant wait to see pics.

I thinks the likes of pedigree, bakers in fact anything bought from a super market is crap. I feed all mine on RC as i find they poop lots less. Also if changing food do it gradually over 7-10 days as otherwise your pup will end up with a very bad tum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are wee wee pads you can get and you can use them with the tray you can buy for them but to be honest it's a waste of money. Litter training still teaches a dog it's ok to wee in the house so you really need to just open the back door and let him out regularly.

A good quality dog food will help with the amount of times and solidity of the poo but being so tiny the pup will still need to go to the loo a lot, just like babies they just seem to do nothing but poo, eat and sleep.

I tried Royal Canin with my pup but I found Burns much better but it all depends on the dog nothing wrong with something like Red Mills as well and you can start by feeding the pup on dry food only now it's cheaper in the long run and less smelly. zooplus.co.uk are a reasonably priced when it comes to good quality dog food, just be careful not to change his diet too much coz he could get an upset tum with the change of brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Hey I agree with some of the posters 8 weeks is very young for the pup. I started training my little one at 3/4 months. I tried taking him out to the back yard every few hours but it didn't work so I just used stick his nose in it and bring him out to the backyard and within a month he had stopped going in the house and started going to the back door when he needed to go. I know some people think it's cruel but it didn't do him any harm and the vet said it was okay.

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Hey I agree with some of the posters 8 weeks is very young for the pup. I started training my little one at 3/4 months. I tried taking him out to the back yard every few hours but it didn't work so I just used stick his nose in it and bring him out to the backyard and within a month he had stopped going in the house and started going to the back door when he needed to go. I know some people think it's cruel but it didn't do him any harm and the vet said it was okay.
    OMG all i can say is would you like your nose stuck in it? Every few hrs is not enough, has to be every 20-30 mins every day. If you cant/havent the time for this, a pup is not for you

Pocketfizz wrote: »

Are you serious?? Id be seriously changing my vet if he recommended that and probably even consider reporting him for advising cruelty as that what it is.

It teaches a dog nothing, how could it? A dog that pees and later on has its nose stuck in it has absol no clue as to why its getting its nose stuck into its own urine so how does it teach anything:mad:
    Poor dogs, thats all i can say. ANyone who does this to their dogs are cruel imo as theres absol no need to do this to any animal.

It takes months to teach a dog to go outside and lots of patience and rewarding.

Would you stick a childs nose into its pee if it wets its pants when its a toddler?? I doubt it, so why do it to a dog.:mad:

Apparently you do not actually rub its nose in it, just hold it over the pee.

The logic is that the dog realizes that if it pees inside that will happen, so it will go outside.
    Apparently it really does work wonders.

The logic is that the dog realizes that if it pees inside that will happen, so it will go outside.

No it doesnt!! A dog looking at its own pee or having its nose stuck in it doesnt think "Oh, i better not pee inside":rolleyes:

Seriously, dogs dont think logically, unless you actually catch a dog mid pee/poop and correct it, it doesnt know that its not suppose to do it.

Its attitudes like this that make up this ridiculous ideas about house training.

I really think you havent a clue about dogs and toilet training if you think this method actually works:confused:

Absolutely rubbish. All it does is teaches a dog to be come fearful of toileting and you will end up with a problem dog. If, as i have all ready said, you havent got the time for proper training, why bother at all with a dog.

• Advertisement

No it doesnt!! A dog looking at its own pee or having its nose stuck in it doesnt think "Oh, i better not pee inside":rolleyes:

Seriously, dogs dont think logically, unless you actually catch a dog mid pee/poop and correct it, it doesnt know that its not suppose to do it.

Its attitudes like this that make up this ridiculous ideas about house training.

I really think you havent a clue about dogs and toilet training if you think this method actually works:confused:
    As I already said I did not use this method myself. Maybe it is something to consider down the line if newspapers etc dont work.
    Absolutely rubbish. All it does is teaches a dog to be come fearful of toileting and you will end up with a problem dog. If, as i have all ready said, you havent got the time for proper training, why bother at all with a dog.
    Fearful of toileting inside, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 trickywitch

Yes that's fine to hold their nose over it (not in it) - say no firmly and bring them outside. The puppy eventually makes the connection and responds to the scent and the command as part of initial housetraining. It's not cruel at all.

Sorry but your definition of 'proper training' is subjective and why is it when someone is genuinely looking for advice they get asked why have a dog if they deviate what you might prefer? Geez

Fearful of toileting inside, yeah.

Where did i say fearful of toileting inside? If anything by doing this you will end up with a dog that will end up going to toilet wherever it can when there is nobody around. Inside mostly

If you havent tried this yourself how can you say it works?

Sorry but your definition of 'proper training' is subjective and why is it when someone is genuinely looking for advice they get asked why have a dog if they deviate what you might prefer? Geez

Im sure she means that if you dont have the time to put in the right training then maybe a puppy isnt for you. If you want to train a pup by sticking its nose in it then thats just cruel and no dog should be subjected to that.

There are plenty of proper training methods that dont involve cruelty.

Im sure she means that if you dont have the time to put in the right training then maybe a puppy isnt for you. If you want to train a pup by sticking its nose in it then thats just cruel and no dog should be subjected to that.

There are plenty of proper training methods that dont involve cruelty.
    How can you say holding a dogs nose over their toilet is cruel? It's just a way for the puppy to make the connection. Easier for puppy and owner really.

Where did i say fearful of toileting inside? If anything by doing this you will end up with a dog that will end up going to toilet wherever it can when there is nobody around. Inside mostly

If you havent tried this yourself how can you say it works?
    Friends and neighbors. It is what my grandfather did with his dogs too.

for a start i have never said this before as i have just joined this board. How can sticking a dogs nose in their pee be right? Go and ask a behavoiurst, well maybe a few and see what their advise on this is. I do think if people dont spent the proper time teaching, and bonding with their pet, they really shouldnt have one. Maybe the sticking there nose does work but to me its a quick fix that will only have bad effects on the dog.
    But sure each to there own, if this is what u want to do go ahead. At the end of the day it will be the dog that will suffer and properly the rescue where it will end up

for a start i have never said this before as i have just joined this board. How can sticking a dogs nose in their pee be right? Go and ask a behavoiurst, well maybe a few and see what their advise on this is. I do think if people dont spent the proper time teaching, and bonding with their pet, they really shouldnt have one. Maybe the sticking there nose does work but to me its a quick fix that will only have bad effects on the dog.
    But sure each to there own, if this is what u want to do go ahead. At the end of the day it will be the dog that will suffer and properly the rescue where it will end up
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How can you say holding a dogs nose over their toilet is cruel? It's just a way for the puppy to make the connection. Easier for puppy and owner really.
    Easier for owner, doubt getting its nose stuck in pee is easier or best for puppy

Advertisement