Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I've lost all respect for Traffic Corp

Options
  • 08-10-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

This is going to be a rant but I think its fair one. I'm not sure how many boards members might drive this strech but anyone who does knows what I'm talking about. Mount Merrion Avenue at the N11 end is a nightmare in the morning. The traffic is regularly solid from one end to the other until well after 9.

There is a bus lane towards the N11 from about mid way up the road from Blackrock. At the top of the avenue there are two lanes. Both for turning right onto the N11, while the left most lane can also be used for turning left.

Its common place, although I admit illegal, for the drivers to use the bus lane to fill two lanes. Its common sense that two full lanes will clear more cars in a light change than a single lane trying to feed two lanes. Also, the bus lane is used by about three buses in the morning. Its not a corridor.

Anyway, I was coming out of my estate and I noticed the bus lane was unusually empty (I'm never in it, as I always turn right at the top) and parked here:

Link

Were the boys in an unmarked Mondeo with the front blues flashing. Hidden in behind a tree (I repeat, hidden behind a tree). And what were they at? Issuing tickets.

Now, can someone tell me why at 8.40am a monsterous amount of traffic, our so calledguardians of the peace thought it would be a good idea to ticket traffic that was actually easing congestion?

I'm sorry but I'd usually side with the Gardai, its a tough job, but seriously lads. You've gone too far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

This is going to be a rant but I think its fair one. I'm not sure how many boards members might drive this strech but anyone who does knows what I'm talking about. Mount Merrion Avenue at the N11 end is a nightmare in the morning. The traffic is regularly solid from one end to the other until well after 9.

There is a bus lane towards the N11 from about mid way up the road from Blackrock. At the top of the avenue there are two lanes. Both for turning right onto the N11, while the left most lane can also be used for turning left.

Its common place, although I admit illegal, for the drivers to use the bus lane to fill two lanes. Its common sense that two full lanes will clear more cars in a light change than a single lane trying to feed two lanes. Also, the bus lane is used by about three buses in the morning. Its not a corridor.

Anyway, I was coming out of my estate and I noticed the bus lane was unusually empty (I'm never in it, as I always turn right at the top) and parked here:

Link

Were the boys in an unmarked Mondeo with the front blues flashing. Hidden in behind a tree (I repeat, hidden behind a tree). And what were they at? Issuing tickets.

Now, can someone tell me why at 8.40am a monsterous amount of traffic, our so calledguardians of the peace thought it would be a good idea to ticket traffic that was actually easing congestion?

I'm sorry but I'd usually side with the Gardai, its a tough job, but seriously lads. You've gone too far.

You were wrong, you got a ticket, deal with it:D

Rules are rules, end of story really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Trying to generate more revenue I suspect. :rolleyes:It makes absolutely no sense but what can ya do...thems the rules.

It is seriously irritating when they do something like this. The thing that annoys me is when for some stupid reason they have a garda standing in the middle of the road "directing" traffic when he usually creates traffic jams! :mad:

Sorry had to get that off my chest......carry on.......nothng to see here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Exact same on the N32 this morning! traffic nipping into the bus lane 100metres before it ended to turn onto the Malahide road (and easing conjestion in the process) were pulled over by a bike cop dressed in black leathers standing beside his bike which he had parked behind a black sign.

I was walking to work thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cars blocking bus lanes means the buses have to queue in traffic. Which completely belittles the point of the bus lane. Daily I see the same assholes queued up in bus lanes along the N1 and N11 creating havoc for the large awkward to manoeuvre vehicles.

And "it makes me get there quicker in my car" isn't a valid excuse to use one for any reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You were wrong, you got a ticket, deal with it:D
    Anyway, I was coming out of my estate and I noticed the bus lane was unusually empty (I'm never in it, as I always turn right at the top)

I didn't get a ticket, I was merely remarking that my journey (And 100's others) to work was made longer due to a needless pen jockey scoring browny points.

I appreciate that bus lanes are there for a reason. And I fully respect them. However, Merrion Avenue isn't a major artery. There is no need for a bus lane to operate. Why doesn't the bus lane come into effect maybe at 9.30? I couldn't count today but in one change of lights about 10 cars got through. If the two lanes are operating, its about 20 or more. The bus lane is actually undoing all goodness of it. 70 people get to work while 100's are delayed and sit in traffic (We could go into enviormental issues etc but thats way off topic)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Cool story brah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's another way of looking at it, while most people were following the rules and patiently queuing, and probably not enjoying it very much, you skipped the queue and got caught out doing so.

To be honest if I had of been stuck ages in that queue, saw you go past in the bus lane and get pulled in an ticketed I would have driven past with a nice big smile on my face :)

edit: oops, jumped to conclusions without reading the post, sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

stevenmu wrote: »
    There's another way of looking at it, while most people were following the rules and patiently queuing, and probably not enjoying it very much, you skipped the queue and got caught out doing so.

To be honest if I had of been stuck ages in that queue, saw you go past in the bus lane and get pulled in an ticketed I would have driven past with a nice big smile on my face :)

He already said he didnt get a ticket.......

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

the gardai dont make the rules, they just enforce them

and not getting commission, i doubt they are motivated by the need to raise revenue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I didn't get a ticket, I was merely remarking that my journey (And 100's others) to work was made longer due to a needless pen jockey scoring browny points.

I appreciate that bus lanes are there for a reason. And I fully respect them. However, Merrion Avenue isn't a major artery. There is no need for a bus lane to operate. Why doesn't the bus lane come into effect maybe at 9.30? I couldn't count today but in one change of lights about 10 cars got through. If the two lanes are operating, its about 20 or more. The bus lane is actually undoing all goodness of it. 70 people get to work while 100's are delayed and sit in traffic (We could go into enviormental issues etc but thats way off topic)

Then just leave for work earlier ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

TBH I'd like to see much more enforcement of bus lane rules. Aside from blatant queue jumping, I hate when there's a bus lane that turns into a left turn lane and drivers start queuing in the bus lane well in advance of the point where the left turn lane starts.

Law abiding drives who wait until it's legal to move left then find the lane jammed with cars and have to rely on someone (who should not be there) letting them in. Next time the law abiding driver is in that situation they may decide it's easier to join the bus lane hoggers rather than obey the law. Which makes matters worse and perpetuates the situation. Strong enforcement nips this in the bud.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Then just leave for work earlier ? ;)

Actually tried that for two weeks. I progressively left 5 minutes earlier every day. No improvement, and I was eventually leaving 20 mins earlier than I used to. If I left at 7.40 or 8am it actually made no difference. I'd gain and lose time in different places.

I agree that 90% of bus lanes are put to good use. The N11 is a prime example. However there are some bus lanes that really need to be checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Do you think the law dont apply to you or something... Next week you will be saying that you murdered someone and got caught. Grow up..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Do you think the law dont apply to you or something... Next week you will be saying that you murdered someone and got caught. Grow up..

Nah, next week he will be complaining about all the people who are using the bus lane and the Gardai are doing nothing about it. Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't in that profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

for the same reason they put the gatso van on the M4 , the M50 or the long mile road, to be pr*cks , nobody can honestly justify the locations mentioned above as accident blackspots so its obviously a revenue generating exercise , in your case this is also true , while it may be helpful to motorists, its helpful to garda coffers too...

for the same reason they put the gatso van on the M4 , the M50 or the long mile road, to be pr*cks , nobody can honestly justify the locations mentioned above as accident blackspots so its obviously a revenue generating exercise , in your case this is also true , while it may be helpful to motorists, its helpful to garda coffers too...

Garda coffers??? do you realy believe that revnue from fines goes into something known as Garda coffers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Garda coffers??? do you realy believe that revnue from fines goes into something known as Garda coffers?

no , i know it goes to our goverment supposedly to be used in wise ways to improve motoring

no , i know it goes to our goverment supposedly to be used in wise ways to improve motoring

Yes, and if the ticket isn't paid a summons is issued from Thurles whereby the Garda has to go to court, hardly making life easy for themselves??? Its called enforcng the law, a speed limit is a speed limit regardless of the stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Actually tried that for two weeks. I progressively left 5 minutes earlier every day. No improvement, and I was eventually leaving 20 mins earlier than I used to. If I left at 7.40 or 8am it actually made no difference. I'd gain and lose time in different places.

I agree that 90% of bus lanes are put to good use. The N11 is a prime example. However there are some bus lanes that really need to be checked.
    well then leave at 7:30 or 7:20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I was walking to work thankfully!

door.jpg

Please close it behind you Rik.....

:D

Nah, next week he will be complaining about all the people who are using the bus lane and the Gardai are doing nothing about it. Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't in that profession.

For the last time folks, I didn't get a ticket. Murder isn't a fair comparison. Chaulk and cheese in this case. What I am saying is from a purely efficiency point of view, that particulate section of bus lane is causing problems (N11 Junction back to the first housing estate) I can see them fairly ticketing someone who cuts in before that, but at that exact spot it makes no sense. Traffic in that lane is easing congestion.

I suggest you Streetview before commenting, it's hard to verbalise the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

-Corkie- wrote: »

you're equating driving in a bus lane with murder? And you're telling him to grow up?

Hilarious!

For the last time folks, I didn't get a ticket. Murder isn't a fair comparison. Chaulk and cheese in this case. What I am saying is from a purely efficiency point of view, that particulate section of bus lane is causing problems (N11 Junction back to the first housing estate) I can see them fairly ticketing someone who cuts in before that, but at that exact spot it makes no sense. Traffic in that lane is easing congestion.

I suggest you Streetview before commenting, it's hard to verbalise the point.

They enforce the law as it applies, theres is not to reason why it applies, and as I never mentioned murder I don't know why you put it in when replying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭gerarda

Get a bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id have a good laugh at every queue jumper the traffic Corps caught.....good on them, more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I know that at the junction at Santry Cross, where the Ballymun Road meets Santry Avenue, if you're going to Ikea there's a stupidly short length of road where the bus lane becomes a left turn. You'd barely have two cars queuing for a left turn, should definitely go from bus lane to road earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

there are plenty of stupid 30 yard bus lanes, or ones which have very little bus traffic. However I do get a kick when I see a bus-lane skipper getting caught. A bit of schadenfreude. The bus lane on the malahide road has a couple of places in it where traffic can use the lane between 10 and 12.30, I was in the lane about 11 one day, just cruising along when a police car pulled me over. The guard got out, satisfied look on his face, ticket book in hand and pointed out that I was in a Bus Lane. I pointed at the sign. In fairness to the guard he was sound, laughed and said he'd look at the signs in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Pity they could not fine the travellers who recently took over a section of the N4 outside sligo to race horses follow by a fleet of 4x4's and vans driving 4 abreast into on coming traffic:rolleyes:....this was reported in the national papers and there is a 3 minute video of it on youtube.No action taken????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭CR 7

The arrow seems to indicate they were 'hidden' behind this tree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement