Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    140.6 seems like a long IM - why don't you do the shorter Ironman in Galway? its only 70.30 km?

Why a low carb diet? I read your bit about " That would be one of the overall aims of the IM programme. 20 weeks of base training at lower intensity to get the body used to metabolising fats for energy. Ideally, you will develop both your endurance and your ability to burn fat for energy further up the zone. It’s critical for Ironman Distance really. The longer you can stay effectively fuelled, the better you will perform. I can say one thing, the bowl of porridge with soaked and fatten sultanas and cinnamon this morning was absolutely delicious!! I just have to introduce similar discipline to a more balanced and lower GI diet from now on "

IMHO Low GI is right, low carb is wrong. Also high GI foods are a requirement depending on timing. It sounds a little like you've skimmed alot of papers/books on diet and IM and taken bits of each but not combined them in a fantastically coherent fashion?

LOL, thought about it mind you but I thought I'd run a Marathon in the Autumn instead and an IM in Sept would be too much before a decent crack at one. The 140.6 one scares me, Galway doesn't :)

On the low carb. It seems as though you have skimmed the log and taken bits but not combined them in a fantastically coherent fashion ;)

The low carb was a 3 day experiment to see how the body will feel carb depleted. I have no intention of adopting a low carb diet. Low GI yes (a habit I have to develop). I stated that the base training and low GI diet will accustom the body to metabolising fats at that intensity and prolonging your CHO store. I get the HIgh GI foods also. Why else would IM PROs maintain a regimented low GI diet during training and then have white toast and nutella before the race!

I doubt very little of my ramblings will be in much of a coherant fashion over the next 36 weeks as its all a learning process!

Im interested in your approach also Chief. Going from 6 hour weeks to 30,800,300,7 ? Isn't that a bit risky? Perhaps your existing base allows you to whack the volume up like that and not worry about injury? Just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LOL, thought about it mind you but I thought I'd run a Marathon in the Autumn instead and an IM in Sept would be too much before a decent crack at one. The 140.6 one scares me, Galway doesn't :)

On the low carb. It seems as though you have skimmed the log and taken bits but not combined them in a fantastically coherent fashion ;)

The low carb was a 3 day experiment to see how the body will feel carb depleted. I have no intention of adopting a low carb diet. Low GI yes (a habit I have to develop). I stated that the base training and low GI diet will accustom the body to metabolising fats at that intensity and prolonging your CHO store. I get the HIgh GI foods also. Why else would IM PROs maintain a regimented low GI diet during training and then have white toast and nutella before the race!

I doubt very little of my ramblings will be in much of a coherant fashion over the next 36 weeks as its all a learning process!

Im interested in your approach also Chief. Going from 6 hour weeks to 30,800,300,7 ? Isn't that a bit risky? Perhaps your existing base allows you to whack the volume up like that and not worry about injury? Just curious :)

Okay maybe we both skimmed documents :)

A little risk, a little worried about tweaking my rec fem again but it was more like 8 hours a week and going to 12.

Tuesday AM: Drills and Z2 run
    I spent a few minutes working with the skipping rope before the run. I suck at skipping. I can barely keep going for 30 secs. Another thing I have to practice! I did a couple of run drills too but I need to check out the online demos again to get them right. Conditions were dark and quite windy. I noticed a spring in my step immediately after the drills and bounced along. That lasted about a block however as the run turned into a slog to keep my heart rate down. I was wearing too many layers and coupled with the wind, I had to practically walk up any kind of hill :rolleyes: Avg hr 150 which means I spent too much time out of zone. Pace 4:42/km
    Time 0:10 drills, 0:35 run
    Dist 7.68km

Tuesday PM: Swim set (LC)
    All of my swim sessions are with groups but once a week I’ll do one alone. It will mainly be longer sets of work to build endurance and stamina. The Arena was teeming with kids last night and I was lucky to get a swim in straight after work as they closed the lane at 7pm? Tuesday night might be a bit hairy! The lane itself was busy too. The plan was simply 4-5 500m reps. I met a buddy who did 3 reps with me (on my feet) so the session flew. I decided to do the first rep at a strong cruise pace and base the RT off that. The set ended up as 5*500m off 9. I sustained the pace throughout and despite having to overtake 2-3 times per length hit respectably consistent times.
    8:12
    8:12
    8:14
    8:11
    8:14
    Pleased enough with that.
    Time 0:44
    Dist 2,500m

Push ups; 1 set to fail. 37 :( I wasn’t happy with that at all so gave it another go and got 41. I think the shoulders were just a bit tired from the swim.

Wednesday AM: Yoga
    Back to some core work at last. My lower back and hips are stiff this morning so I must have been doing something right. Need to work on smoother breathing for Yoga as opposed to the more forced exhalation of Pilates. I’m trying to relate it to swimming :confused:. My hamstrings as usual are as flexible as steel rods.
    Time 0:50
    Dist N/A

Wednesday PM: Z2 brick
    The plan
    1:00 turbo, 0:10 run
    Actual
    1:00 turbo, 0:15 run, 0:05 stretch

The first 10 minutes on the bike felt awful. My quads felt heavy and lazy. They soon loosened out though and I kept a nice momentum at 90-95rpm. I wanted to get as far as I could at that cadence without having to downshift. I felt good and figured I’d hit 50 minutes or thereabouts. I actually stayed in Z2 (just about!) for the full hour which I’m pleased with. Average watts 235, average HR 139.

I was out the door in less than 2 minutes for the run. I felt great straight away. I had debated taking off the sweat drenched tee but figured since it was such a short run and wasn’t raining that I’d cool down. The Garmin registered nothing for the loop which was annoying but I still had heart rate to work off and kept that in Z2 also. Average HR 151, pace 4:37/km. I had to stretch some tight calves afterwards but overall I enjoyed the session.
    Time 1:20
    Dist 34.3km bike, 3.33km run

Before I hit the shower I did my daily push ups set and hit a new best of 55 :D The last rep took about 10 seconds alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I can never get the breathing (or the postures!!) in freestyle yoga.

How's E's ankle coming along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Before I hit the shower I did my daily push ups set and hit a new best of 55 biggrin.gif The last rep took about 10 seconds alone!
    I can forsee a new section in the ART Tri Challange for 2011 - swim / bike / run / pushups in one go.

You know what they say, you're not a real ironman unless you go under 10hrs and do at least 100 pushups in T1 and T2:D

ULstudent wrote: »
    I can never get the breathing (or the postures!!) in freestyle yoga.

How's E's ankle coming along?

I know! Getting the postures is one thing, then getting the breathing right as well is another challenge. Straightening those legs when they are above your head... now thats just takin the p!ss!

She is better, had surgery on her knee a while back too which needed mending. Still puts the lot of us to shame though :rolleyes:
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I can forsee a new section in the ART Tri Challange for 2011 - swim / bike / run / pushups in one go.

You know what they say, you're not a real ironman unless you go under 10hrs and do at least 100 pushups in T1 and T2:D

LMAO :D

Thursday PM: Turbo FTP session
    The plan
    2*8mins at 80% FTP
    Actual
    2*8mins at 80%FTP

It’s been over 2 months since I did any kind of intensity on the turbo and this felt harder than anticipated as a result. You could have sworn I was doing it under a shower for the level of sweat hitting the towel underneath. It didn’t help that the start of the session coincided with the central heating kicking in too! Thankfully it was a short session to kick these nights off. I took a full 10 mins easy spinning in between reps. The aim was to hit approx 250 watts and hold. That I did and also just managed to hold off Z3 until the end of the 2nd rep. Average HR 133, Average output 233w.
    Time 0:40
    Dist 22.8km

Thursday PM: Tech swim session (SC)
    I found this tougher going than usual which is probably due to all the push ups lately. I’m getting the hang of these drills after a whole winter of them last year (swallowing less of the pool than usual). About time! Catch ups, chicken wing, superman, sculling, extended doggy crawl, finger tip drag, straight arm recovery, breathe every 3, every 5, every 4 to weak side, don’t breathe at all! Shoulders were burned for a finish and the hunger… I fed like some Bear coming out of hibernation when I got home. Caz had a look of fear on her as I gorged...
    Time 0:50
    Dist 2,000m

Friday AM: Z2 run
    The plan
    0:40 Z2
    Actual
    0:44 Z2

I struggled with the snooze button and snored by way through the first mile or so. Then I realised it was a beautiful fresh morning. Conditions were quite crisp and a little breeze to keep cool. Feeling happy I knocked out a few sharp kms keeping my heart rate in check. In my haste to get up and get out I had forgotten to get a drink and for the whole run my throat felt like I had swallowed hair balls. It became more laborious as I hit couple of drags and the thirst got worse but overall I was glad I triumphed over that snooze button :) Breakfast consisted of about 2 litres of various drinks. Average HR 145, pace 4:37/km
    Time 0:44
    Dist 9.56km

Friday PM: Masters swim session (SC)
    I was late so barely got 100m of a warm up in. Set off second after a former champion swimmer (she uses this as her wind down for the week :eek:) who disappeared so I effectively lead the group behind me. I knew this was going to be tough as I have A) increased the frequency of sessions this week, B) The last swim session was late last night and C)... those blasted push ups :rolleyes: I didn’t even notice what the RTs were but just ploughed through 3*100, 2*150m, 200m, 5*100m, 2*150m. I was toasted after that until it was decided to do a couple of fast bits. It transpired as 4*50m with the first 25 all out and the return 25 trying not to drown. If there was a chair handy I might have taken it into the shower. A ten year old girl would beat me in an arm wrestle today.
    Time 0:37
    Dist 2,000m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Just wondering shotgun do you think the mini push up challenge is a good idea? I know your reasons for it i.e. vanity and to make you feel better for not doing gym work, I'd be just worried that it might take slightly from you in your pool sessions if you are getting in the pool with already fatigued arms. I know when my arms get tried and heavy my stroke/technique go to sh!t! Just a concern I thought I'd raise buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

There is an interview in the free red bull mag that came with the indo yesterday with a (really really fine) italian skier and she says she tries to do 100 push ups and 100s sit ups a day when she's not training hard.

Here it is actually. It may take you a while to notice but there is actually words on the page aswell.

http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1110_redbulletin_uk

• Advertisement

Just wondering shotgun do you think the mini push up challenge is a good idea? I know your reasons for it i.e. vanity and to make you feel better for not doing gym work, I'd be just worried that it might take slightly from you in your pool sessions if you are getting in the pool with already fatigued arms. I know when my arms get tried and heavy my stroke/technique go to sh!t! Just a concern I thought I'd raise buddy :)

Thats not exactly a moot point and it has crossed my mind too so good call El D:) Yeah the push ups are for exactly those reasons. I did feel the difference in swim session this week. I didn't think that just one set of push ups would have that impact. I think it was because I was doing the set to fail each time and the last 5 or 6 reps would be teeth gritting stuff. The goal is to be able to do a certain number of reps in one go so I guess I don't have to try so hard every time. I'll still do them daily if I can but I'll limit the all out set to once or twice a week.
    nomadic wrote: »
    There is an interview in the free red bull mag that came with the indo yesterday with a (really really fine) italian skier and she says she tries to do 100 push ups and 100s sit ups a day when she's not training hard.

Here its is actually. It may take you a while to notice but there is actually words on the page aswell.

http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1110_redbulletin_uk

I think she is actually American nomadic.. doesn't matter though ;)

Weekend sessions

Saturday PM: Long Z1-Z2 Turbo
    Pretty boring 2 hours in front of the match. I was doing a decent job of focusing on keeping my heart rate in zone 2 and maintaining a cadence of 90. I had to down shift at 99mins which was much better than I anticipated but then I lost track as Ireland got 2 tries in succession. The match got me through most of it but I still had 13 mins to go afterwards and those seemed to take an age. Avg HR 132, output 226 watts. Drank 1.5lts of water and took half a nutri grain plus a dextro energy gel I had in the fridge left over from the Budapest goodie bag (just to try it). It was grosse
    Time 2:00
    Dist 66.3km

Sunday PM: LSR
    I decided against heading out at 5am as I was too tired but by the time I got out in the evening I was regretting that decision. Conditions were brutal. It was cold, dark, very wet and windy. The first 10 miles passed ok and I maintained a consistent pace in Z1-Z2. I took out the ipod for the first time in about 2 years and was glad as coupled with the hat, it blocked out the sound of the wind and lashing rain. The last half hour turned into a slog, especially the last mile drag home straight into the wind. I was soaked through and my runners were twice the weight from stepping in so many puddles (I just got tired of leaping over them!). My quads were also frozen stiff. I just kept thinking about a hot chocolate and was never happier to see my front door. Usually I pass by lots of joggers but I seemed to be the only eejit out last night! Average HR 150, it was sometimes just impossible to keep it down. Pace 4:48/km. I’m considering taking some water and a gel out if I’m going to be 2 hours or more.
    Time 2:08 run 0:05 stretch
    Dist 26.66km

numbers
    1-7 November|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|11:56|180.23km
    Swimming|4|3:13|9.7
    Cycling|3|3:40|123.3
    Running|4|3:43|47.23
    Conditioning|1|1:20|Yoga & Core

Push ups: 427 (best single effort 57) :D

Overall I felt tired at times adapting to the morning and evening sessions. It was about getting used to the frequency. Midweek session were mostly around 40 mins so not taking too much out of me individually. Except for swimming everything was at base heart rate too. More of the same this week turning the dial a tiny bit on 2 key sessions. Hopefully I'll get out on the bike at the weekend too. Week 1 down, 35 to go :)

Monday AM: Swim session (LC)
    Pretty straightforward session this morning. 16*50m warm up, 18*100m main set and 8*50 fast. Took an early shower as I figured traffic would be nuts.
    Time 0:58
    Dist 3,000m

Tuesday AM: Z2 Run
    The plan
    0:40 Z2 + drills
    Actual
    0:40 Z2 + stretching

Conditions were windy and I seemed to have it at my back for the start so it set me on my way. I had intended doing some skipping before to warm up but I thought I’d just get out in it as the clouds looked ominous. No chances this time, hi viz waterproof jacket on! It turned into a decent run at a sharp clip for Z2 until I met the wind head of course. I maintained a comfortable but strong RPE and that meant touching Z3 for a bit on small hills into the wind. As long as it was momentarily and the HR dropped back into Z2 quickly I didn’t mind. Average HR 150, pace 4:32/km. Leggings and a beanie made all the difference in comfort. My right ankle is still a bit sore from going over on it at the DCM so I opted for some stretches instead of skipping or drills this morning.
    Time 0:40 run 0:10 stretch
    Dist 8.8km

People are asking me lately if I have a cold. My reply is 'no, its just the pool'. Its getting frustrating though, the constant running nose amd sneezing. I know I can wear a nose clip but they just don't suit me. Its not a constant problem. They just seem to turn up the chlorine once ina while :(

Tuesday PM: Swim set (LC)
    Increased this to 6*500m off 9 this week and felt it. I didn't have the same strength as last week and by the 4th rep my stroke length had shortened considerably. Before rep 5 I just took some deep breaths and focused 100% on length and everything you have to do to get it. It was a better but I was tiring. The 6th rep was pushing the fitness. Reps in on
    500m: 8:13
    500m: 8:14
    500m: 8:18
    500m: 8:19
    500m: 8:10
    500m: 8:16
    Not as sharp as last week but a solid enough session. 6*50m kick with fins after. Lane closed again at 7 which is going to become an issue at some point. I leave it a couple fo weeks before I increase the distance again. I need to adapt to this first.
    Time 1:00
    Dist 3,300m

Wednesday AM: Yoga
    5 mins on the rower to warm up. Avg 228 watts at 22spm. Even this felt like an effort :o
    I'm getting to grips with the yoga but hamstring flexibility is still woeful. I'm working on it... Some of the girls make it look way too easy :rolleyes:
    Time 0:55
    Dist n/a

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

great log mcos. enjoying it. thinking about putting one up myself soon!

I'm sure you've got it covered but just incase - an interesting winter training thread on the cycling forum. I've reopened my racing and training with a power meter book - first read during the summer but needs another going over.

People are asking me lately if I have a cold. My reply is 'no, its just the pool'. Its getting frustrating though, the constant running nose amd sneezing. I know I can wear a nose clip but they just don't suit me. Its not a constant problem. They just seem to turn up the chlorine once ina while frown.gif

I used to have this problem, particularly after longer sessions. At one stage I was taking 2 days to get over a swim session due to sinus problems and a bunged up nose. I tried nose clips but they were a pain in the arse.

What I do now after every swim is that I wash the inside of my nose with clean cold water by squirting it gently up my nose from an old lucozade sport bottle whilst my head is tilted slightly back (you can do this is the shower). You know you're doing it right when the water runs from your nose down the back of your throat (its sounds disgusting, and it does take some getting used to, but it works). You have to do it gently otherwise your ears will explode:D. Once I've washed the nasal cavities well I use flixonase and give each nostril a couple of quick squirts. Since I've started doing this all my sinus problems have stopped. For shorter sessions I tend to just wash the nose out and not use the flixonase. I've done a couple of sessions recently where I've done nothing after my swim and my sinus problems have come straight back, so it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I used to have this problem, particularly after longer sessions. At one stage I was taking 2 days to get over a swim session due to sinus problems and a bunged up nose. I tried nose clips but they were a pain in the arse.

The constant sinus issue and accompanying headaches can be a real pain but unfortunately come with the territory unless you get the time to follow the fairly extensive sinus rinsing procedure ;) presented by Mr Griffin who obviously has the same problem.

Ive found how bad it gets depends on the pool sometimes ... alot of new pools employ 'ozone' filtering and less chemicals than older pools. When I was a kid Id some sort of contact reaction to the sponge on goggles leaving me with a fairly severe 28-days-later-eye-lid look and the accompanying sinus issues which was always a conversational opener at school and college. 'Hey, what the f*ck is wrong with you' ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

People are asking me lately if I have a cold. My reply is 'no, its just the pool'. Its getting frustrating though, the constant running nose amd sneezing. I know I can wear a nose clip but they just don't suit me. Its not a constant problem. They just seem to turn up the chlorine once ina while :(

Memories of the first time I ever wore a noseclip. I nearly drowned. I'm so claustrophic that not being able to breath through my nose sent me into a panic. Never again. I trained as a pool lifeguard so a lot of my swimming I do I keep my head above water, from watching IM's on TV it seems a lot of triathletes do this? Or at least take a breath with every stroke/every second stroke. I must be a natural triathlete! :pac:

Notwitch wrote: »
    I've reopened my racing and training with a power meter book - first read during the summer but needs another going over.
    Cheers Notwitch - I don't have a PM just work off watts on the turbo. Looking forward to your log then!
    What I do now after every swim is that I wash the inside of my nose with clean cold water by squirting it gently up my nose from an old lucozade sport bottle whilst my head is tilted slightly back.... .
    Thanks for this Griffin, my OH is going to wonder why I'm taking a sports bottle into the shower with me, I'll give it a go anyway :D
    interested wrote: »
    ...leaving me with a fairly severe 28-days-later-eye-lid look and the accompanying sinus issues which was always a conversational opener at school and college. 'Hey, what the f*ck is wrong with you' ;)
    LOL Nice to have you knocking around these parts interested. What was your standard response back then?!

Overall my OH, who is a beginner swimmer is much more severely affected than I (as a pharmacist though I thought she would have the solution :confused: ). It definitely has something to do with the pool chemicals. Yes I get a little nasal after long swims but occasionally without a distinct pattern it goes nuts and sneezing becomes a a danger to society at large. It seems to affect me from the short course pool (older pool) than the Arena. There is one consistency. Kids! I usually hit the SC after half a school's worth of young fellas have been in. Coincidentally the Arena in the evenings is teeming with the other half of the school it seems. I wonder if they are pumping anti-kid 'ozone' chemicals in around these times :D

Memories of the first time I ever wore a noseclip. I nearly drowned. I'm so claustrophic that not being able to breath through my nose sent me into a panic. Never again. I trained as a pool lifeguard so a lot of my swimming I do I keep my head above water, from watching IM's on TV it seems a lot of triathletes do this? Or at least take a breath with every stroke/every second stroke. I must be a natural triathlete! :pac:
    LOL maybe you are a natural RC or maybe just a natural for IMs ;) I have a touch of that Claustraphobia malarky also. I get all bothered in shops like Penny's, or cluttered rooms, or if too many people get into the lift I'll get out before it gets to my floor and take the stairs... eh ok thats enough sharing :)

• Advertisement

There is one consistency. Kids! I usually hit the SC after half a school's worth of young fellas have been in. Coincidentally the Arena in the evenings is teeming with the other half of the school it seems. I wonder if they are pumping anti-kid 'ozone' chemicals in around these times :D

My response was to twitch nervously and then sneeze at them ... since Id 'The rage' they should too for being rude ;)

The kids thing - apart from the conspiracy theory that they're adding their own 'special' chemicals for your enjoyment theres the theory that their splishing and splashing and general larking about as kids tend to do at pools stirs up fumes that sit just above the water where you typically breath from. Theres probably some study somewhere about this but imho ventilation in ALL indoor pools seems to be an after thought ... alot of hotel pools with wooden panels in their ceilings tend to suffer pretty badly for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Excellent training! I did the hundred pushups challenge on this website: http://hundredpushups.com It's worth checking out as it takes you from your own current abilities through sets every other day over 6 weeks.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seriously the point in the push ups?

Wednesday PM: Brick session
    The plan
    1:00 turbo Z2, 0:15 run Z2
    Actual
    1:00 turbo Z2, 0:18 run Z2

No faffing, straight on the turbo after work and on with it. If I didn’t do this, I’d graze, chat with Caz when she gets in the door and end up doing a half hearted late evening effort and eating sh!te before bed. So, an hour on the turbo capped at Z2 and a recording of the World Rowing Champ finals for entertainment. For the first 10 mins again my quads felt like they had either never been used or had been over used, I couldn’t tell. However after I soon settled into a very comfortable rhythm and maintained a smooth 90+ rpm cadence. I felt good and noticed a slight improvement on cardiac drift which is what I want to see :) Average HR 134, output 236 watts.

I changed into a dry long sleeve this time for the run. The first km was downhill with a wind on my back so a bit fast at 4:15. I thought briefly about the Marathon Goal for next year. I’d have to do another 41 of these but without the decline and wind :confused: That really seems like a huge mountain to climb at this stage. Anyway, I’ll worry about that another time. My pace soon levelled out and turned into a focused lean into the wind to keep it in Z2. I felt good. Average HR 149, pace 4:33/km.
    Time 1:00 +0:18
    Dist 34.4km + 4.06km

Session done and time to try a new recipe... I’m a fan of Risotto. It takes 20 mins and there are endless variations to make it interesting. I thought this one was one of the more delicious versions and I thought I’d share.

Mint Chicken and Celery Risotto. It turns out an odd shade of pastel green but tastes better than it looks ;)
    ---Standard Risotto is basically a knob of butter in a hot pan (I use a wok). Throw in a finely chopped onion and season. 2-3 mins later add about 200-300g of Arborio rice depending on how many you are feeding. If on the heavier side I add a couple of Tbsp of olive oil.
    ---The stock is just 2 veg stock cubes in 1.5 pints of boiled water and a little white wine if you have it. When the rice has been stirred for 2-3 mins add half the stock and simmer for 10 mins or so, topping up the stock if it has been absorbed. Stir slowly and regularly.
    ---While it’s simmering slice 2 chicken breasts, 2 full stalks of celery and a handful of fresh mushrooms. Add to the rice and top up with stock. Taste as you go along and season accordingly.
    ---As the stock is being absorbed mix 2 Tbsp of mint sauce (like the one you have with lamb) to 200g of natural yoghurt in a bowl.
    ---When the rice is done stir in the mint yoghurt, turn off the heat and let stand for a minute before serving. Yum!

tunney wrote: »

Apart from being an excellent 2 minute exercise to improve strenth and core? Nothing really Tunney, just a fascination with being able to do 100 push ups in a row. A personal mini winter challenge if you will :)

Griffin100 described it better below LOL :)

Its a bit like selective deafness, eating yorkie bars and putting your hand down the front of your trousers when watching tv.......i.e. a man thing:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I can get the whole push up thing but you might want to be careful. As far as I know and I could be wrong but doing pushups works the same muscle set as swimming freestyle. Seeing as you'll be doing a lot of both you may want to introduce some stretches or an exercise to open the chest and stretch the back muscles. It will also stop the rounding type effect you can get from the overdominance of these muscles. Some seated rows, deadlifts or the likes would compliment it

I can only assume that the pushup challenge must be done wearing one of your, now infamous, vest tops / wife beaters ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

I can only assume that the pushup challenge must be done wearing one of your, now infamous, vest tops / wife beaters ? :)

LMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

LOL......Bottle of Buckfast to hand also! :D

• Advertisement

... and finishing the set off with a good long expulsion of flavoured wind :D

Gibbo I hear ya on both counts buddy. I'm bring a few minutes on the erg back in for the balance :cool: To echo El D's and your implication about DOMS and swimming. You are spot on there too and it was probably why the swim on tuesday was so tough. Shoulders tender today and I have a T20 swim TT tonight :o

Advertisement