Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More VOAT please?

Options
  • 07-10-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

I'm getting VOAT withdrawals. Can we get VOAT up and running again? It was fun!

I think we should start again with one of the flash fiction things too - I know it was a small bit of a logistical nightmare, but it was so much fun and threw up some really interesting stories!

Pweeeeeeze?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I reckon when I'm back from holidays on the 18th I might kick one off to start on the first of November or thereabouts. Meanwhile if anyone has any more suggestions...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im up for this.

Suggestions. A warped and abridged version of your favourite book in 1500 words. And we have to identify the book. :) Kind of like the bookwise puzzle in the Sunday Times.

All right then. It might be a little tight for a Hallowe'en edition of VOAT, but who's up for starting a new season of write-offs and what kind of original ideas have you got that will get people involved?

Im in. I need the mental stimulation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I won't be taking part in a Voat if its in November. I'm desparately scrambling to get my NaNoWriMo outline together as I type!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'm in too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RoodBoi

what's VOAT?

RoodBoi wrote: »
    what's VOAT?
    Variations On A Theme. A short story competition (with no prize except the respect of your peers :)) that runs here from time to time. A theme, story outline, or opening line, is given for everyone to write about in their own style or with their own spin on the story. Usually about 1500 words. Its a bit of craic.

If we can get 5 we might as well give it a go. Whatcha say, RoodBoi?

• Advertisement

very tempted, but i've never wrote a story before really. i'm lazy so i stick to poetry. :D what would the theme be? :)

ok i'll do it for the gas so. but it may be ****. but who cares right. yea i'm in so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm in!!!!

Wow, that was a bit over-eager, but YAY more VOAT!

I'm back in work on Monday - tell all your friends to post here with ideas.

OK, I'm pimping about for entrants. One more added so far...

Well, seeing as noone else is.

Idea: Central character, Chris, looks at a bundle of money and smiles. Now, all they have to do is get through that locked door....

A kind of dumped in the middle of the action scenario.

I'm in too... looking forward to it.

You were already in by post 8 :D

I'll try and get 10 by the weekend, if not we'll go with what we have. We need consensus on the theme though.

You were already in by post 8 :D

I'll try and get 10 by the weekend, if not we'll go with what we have. We need consensus on the theme though.
    We need more ideas on the theme. :)

I need this kickstart to write again, havent written a thing in months.

• Advertisement

I'll think about it and throw up some intro lines tonight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thanks for the message about this, Pickarooney.

Count me in. :)

OK, here are some suggestions....

The Box.
    Ann was first in the office that morning. Just as she noticed the strange box on her desk, her phone rang.

Bob's First Day
    Bob, the bank's newest security guard was about to leave the men's room when he heard gunfire and a voice shout "EVERYBODY GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW!".

Liking The Box suggestion. Think the First day one could give us quite a few robbery/hostage situations and weve had those already.

Yeah, I like the box but security guards and robberies and whatnots - no thanks.

The robbery one could be loosened up a bit....

Bob was about to leave the men's room when he heard gunfire and a voice shout "EVERYBODY GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW!".

In that case, he could be a security guard, an inside man, someone who was about to rob the bank himself, a member of the public, a wheelchair user leaving the disabled toilets, a cleaner....

It's up to the writer to elevate it above the robbery/hostage scenario. The ones that stand out (and do something different) are the ones that will do well.

Sorry, I just dont want to write about a robbery, full stop. And its kinda hard to turn it into chick lit. Ye men and your guns. Sigh. ;)

Fair enough. :)

However, a mystery box could contain a neutron bomb or a ransom note, so everybody wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

However, a mystery box could contain a neutron bomb or a ransom note, so everybody wins.

Or an anonymous gift from an admirer - nothing like a good stalking! :)

Advertisement