Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 2 (Jude)

Options
  • 13-04-2010 1:49pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The second installment of our themed short story competition is now underway. For details of the first contest, see here.

The outline for the story this time around, suggested by Oryx, is as follows:

Jude sits on a plane, midflight. In Jude's jacket pocket is a piece of paper containing details that will change Jude's life forever. The plane's intercom pings and the captain makes an announcement...

Word limit is 1000, give or take, and submissions should be by PM, to me.
    This is a quick-submission competition, with a closing date of 1st May 2010.Voting will take place after the weekend and run for 10 days, by poll. All votes must be accompanied by a post on the thread giving at least some feedback.

Please post in here with any queries on the competition itself.
    Please do not post pieces directly in the thread.

Good luck!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

And we can't have a competition without a prize!

PRIZE

The winner of the competition will receive a selection of random books courtesy of Book Depository (www.bookdepository.co.uk). A big thanks to one of the staff members Lindsey Mooney who has kindly agreed to donate the competition prizes.

When we have a winner, they can send me a PM to receive their prize.

Hi all,

Pickarooney has brought up an important point - as I've sourced a prize for the competition, it could be seen as unfair if I enter the competition, as to be fair it would look slightly dodgy if I ended up winning!

However, the idea of finding a prize was to increase the entries and have more critics to rate our entries - so I seem to have shot myself in the foot.

My question to you all is - would it be okay with you all if I enter the competition?
    Obviously, I can be omitted from winning the prize in this instance. But if people feel my entry would be unfair to everyone else, I will refrain from entering.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have no problem with you entering. After all, the entries are voted for in a way which allows us to see who voted for what version while not knowing who wrote each version.

I don't understand how you could possibly win without us being able to check that your version actually got the votes.

And thanks for getting the prize.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont see why you should be excluded ToasterSparks. If you win, youll do it fair and square.

Im interested to see if there will be many stylistic variations this time, seeing as the winner of the Kim one was handled in quite a unique way.

Yeah, I figured with anonymous voting it wouldn't be an issue, but I just wanted to check with everyone. To that end Pickarooney, I don't see why you can't submit a piece too. Besides, I'll never win against the talent on here!

@Oryx - Yeah, I know what you mean, it was less about what people wrote in the last competition and more about the way they wrote it. The unique style of --amadeus-- was pivotal in his victory. Should make for an interesting competition this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't/won't enter as I will have everyone's versions in my Inbox before the deadline.
    If nobody sees a conflict of interest it's fine by me if TS enters then.

I can't/won't enter as I will have everyone's versions in my Inbox before the deadline.
    If nobody sees a conflict of interest it's fine by me if TS enters then.
    I have no problem if you do. I can see the conflict, but I suppose I trust you would write your own story, anyway. If anything, that makes it harder. Your options reduce if you see something similar to your own ideas.

I completely understand why you wouldn't want to enter Pickarooney, but as Oryx says - I trust you to write a fair piece. As a well-established moderator on this board, I think no-one would have an issue with you submitting a piece. In fact, I assumed you had for the last competition. It's seems unfair for you to spend so much time arranging it, only to be denied to chance to write your own piece.

You would have plenty of time to come up with a piece before the submissions start pouring in. I'd love to see your POV on the outline.

Oryx wrote: »
    .. I trust you...

The downfall of many began with these three words.

I'd probably try write an entire 1000 word story using just Beatles lyrics as that song is the only thing in my head at the minute.

I'd probably try write an entire 1000 word story using just Beatles lyrics as that song is the only thing in my head at the minute.

Lol. I'd vote for that!

• Advertisement

Which would be lovely, but would sail right over my head as I dont know many Beatles lyrics. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My question to you all is - would it be okay with you all if I enter the competition?

Absolutely!

I have no problem if you do. I can see the conflict, but I suppose I trust you would write your own story, anyway. If anything, that makes it harder. Your options reduce if you see something similar to your own ideas.

+1

I don't see this so much as a competition, than a means of challenging myself, against others, and against myself. It's also great fun, and a great way of getting feedback. But my goal is not to win a prize or a title, sure I want to win, but I'm not foaming at the mouth to do so.

I have much more of a problem with people submitting, and NOT voting than I do with Pickarooney or Toaster entering. Much, much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I can't genuinely see why ToasterSparks or Pickarooney couldn't enter. It would be different if you guys were picking the winner (i.e. one or both of you constituted the adjudication panel in its entirety) but since other people get to have their say too then I can't see the problem. If you genuinely want to participate then the more the merrier - more for me to read! :)

I might even attempt to submit something - it'd be nice to have something to work towards.

Cool!

And yes, as Davyjose said, for me it's more about the writing than the prize.

I only sourced a prize for this second competition to encourage more people to enter so we can have more critics and voters. Hopefully people will vote more this time around.

1st draft written tonight. Am moderately happy with it - it fills Oryx's criteria anyway. I think :)

Will fiddle with it, and fire off to Pickarooney maybe tomorrow.

Mines gone in already. If I didnt send it Id just pick at it too much :) I know I chose the outline, and the funny thing is the story I wrote bears no resemblance to the ideas I had when the outline first came to mind. I seem to write without a plan and the story ends without me having a clue how until I get there. I can see that being a problem if I ever want to write something like a novel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm up to 800 words and I'm nowhere near the end of the story. I can do some major surgery on it (and mess with the flow) or I can start again. Hmmmmm......

Mines gone in already. If I didnt send it Id just pick at it too much :) I know I chose the outline, and the funny thing is the story I wrote bears no resemblance to the ideas I had when the outline first came to mind. I seem to write without a plan and the story ends without me having a clue how until I get there. I can see that being a problem if I ever want to write something like a novel. :)

That's all the fun of it. What you decide in half an hour at the beginning shouldn't restrict what you spend the next year writing.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I'm up to 800 words and I'm nowhere near the end of the story. I can do some major surgery on it (and mess with the flow) or I can start again. Hmmmmm......

A quick explosion and a SWAT team should see you right for the last 200.

A quick explosion and a SWAT team should see you right for the last 200.

I had a start and an end in mind, and they're already written. Its the piece in the middle that needs surgery. :)

• Advertisement

I had a start and an end in mind, and they're already written. Its the piece in the middle that needs surgery. :)

Hang onto the original version, even if it goes over a couple of thousand words, and post it up after the competition? No use wasting it if you like what you've done.

This happened me too: I was 500 words in and barely started, then I somehow finished up ~950. Which meant I abridged, and chopped bits off subconsciously.

That's the problem I have with "word limits" tbh. It's creative writing, not journalism.
    Do people mind if entries run up to 1100/1200 words? I don't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sent mine in... Didn't spend much time on it, so hopefully it'll be liked...

Sent mine in last night as well. Happy enough with it, but I proofed it with tired eyes, so it's probably in bits.

I had an interesting idea, then realised halfway through that it wouldn't work. Grr!

Back to the drawing board. I have another idea, but I'm certain someone will do something similar. Ideas are tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'm going to have a go this time i think. I voted in the last one ( for the winner it turns out :D) but should have entered for the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

I had an interesting idea, then realised halfway through that it wouldn't work. Grr!

Back to the drawing board. I have another idea, but I'm certain someone will do something similar. Ideas are tough!

Yeah, I had what I thought was a brilliant idea too until some basic research turned up Jude as the patron saint of lost causes, not travellers. Stupid research. :pac:

How we getting on with this Pickarooney? Many entries yet??

I rewrote mine last night. Just need to make the ending a bit better and I'll be done.

• Advertisement

Just back from holidays. Only three entries so far.

Advertisement