Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siptu- The money was just resting in our account?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

How can you dismiss somebody who is retired?
    His pension could be stopped (I'm assuming union heads get union pensions).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How can you dismiss somebody who is retired?

Whoops.

Well the State should pursue him for the funds that he obtained in a fraudulent manner then? Would that be acceptable for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

gandalf wrote: »
    Whoops.

Well the State should pursue him for the funds that he obtained in a fraudulent manner then? Would that be acceptable for you?

If that is what happened, then yes. At a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I apologise to P.Breatnach for personalising my argument, got a bit carried away.
    Still, I do feel Irish people cause their own problem but such a laxadasical attitude to 'punishment', like everything in life there is a carrot and a stick but without a stick and the stick being shown to be used what will change? These people don't do jail time....

I don't believe it's a matter of laws or institutions, it is a matter of attitudes and integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

This little matter seems to have "gone away":cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Tora Bora wrote: »
    This little matter seems to have "gone away":cool:

And quite right because there is simply no evidence of wrong doing. Lodging €350,000 in a deposit account the morning the story broke was just coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Any update on this funny business, or has it all been swept under the carpet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BeeDI wrote: »
    Any update on this funny business, or has it all been swept under the carpet?

Ah, theres been about 15-20 major financial stories that have come and gone since, sure even at this stage NAMA has been swept under the carpet. Its all IMF now, well for the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Siptu leaders criticised over 'slush fund'
    An internal report carried out by Siptu has criticised two senior union figures over the administration of a controversial bank account into which millions of euro in State funding was lodged without the knowledge of the leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Disgraceful. There needs to be a criminal investigation into this.

The government also needs to do an investigation of their own into this to find out exactly how this could have happened and if similiar practices are going on with the other trade unions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

A new 14 year tribunal, can you imagine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

The government also needs to do an investigation of their own into this to find out exactly how this could have happened and if similiar practices are going on with the other trade unions.

their needs to be firing squads not more investigations . blindfold anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    A new 14 year tribunal, can you imagine

Doesn't matter how long a criminal investigation takes or how much it costs the tax payer, these people should be brought to justice if they have misused taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭SC024

Doesn't matter how long a criminal investigation takes or how much it costs the tax payer, these people should be brought to justice if they have misused taxpayers money.

OK..... This is an interesting post. Are you a taxpayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    A new 14 year tribunal, can you imagine :P

No not that, but here is my suggestion.

Ideally hire Eva Jolly, although it appears she is making a run for French presidency.
    Imagine someone of her calibre versus that sniffling little Napoleon wantabee. :rolleyes:

Probably won't get her now, so then hire whoever were her next in command in Credit Lyonnais, Elf and Iceland investigations.
    Setup unit answerable to Taoiseach and Reform minister.

Give their newly established unit power to compel witnesses to appear and not loopholes to allow scumbags run to Supreme court everytime their dodgy deals are in danger of being laid open.
    Give their unit access to DPP, CAB and Director of Corporate Enforcement evidence.
    Then let them lose on bank fiasco and after that DDDA and Fás.

Allow them feed their evidence directly to DPP, no fancy reports, no dicking about.
    Straight from them to criminal prosecutions.

Will this happen ?
    Probably better chance of winning lotto. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

So it seems, the "rightuous ones", in Liberty Hall, splashed a lot more tax payers money on their foreign junkets than first thought:o
    These guys want Seanie Fitz and Fingers to be jailed. Perhaps Seanie and Fingers should have company in the slammer:cool:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1215/1224309100108.html
    Over €5m paid into Siptu fund - report

MARTIN WALL, Industry Correspondent
    MORE THAN €5 million was paid into a controversial bank account used to finance foreign trips for public officials and trade union figures, according to a report published today.

The Dáil Public Accounts Committee will today consider this report as well as a number of other examinations into how millions of euro of State funding ended up in the account that was controlled by two individuals associated with the trade union Siptu.
    The report, by the Department of Health and the Health Service Executive, maintains that, at €5.057 million, the known receipts paid into the account – the Siptu National Health and Local Authority Levy fund – were significantly higher than previously known.
    The report also identified more than 40 foreign trips undertaken by civil and public servants, trade union officials and others that were funded by the Siptu “levy” account – again more than previously understood to be the case.
    A separate HSE internal audit report, also to be considered by the Public Accounts Committee today, strongly criticises breaches of procedures under which nearly €1 million was paid by the Health Service National Partnership Forum into the same Siptu levy account.
    It says that in effect the forum has been unable to account for the disbursement of €770,000 of taxpayers’ funds to Siptu.
    Siptu corporately has said the “levy” account was an unofficial one.
    The Dáil committee was told last year that the account was controlled by a senior Siptu official, Matt Merrigan, and a former national executive member, Jack Kelly.
    The Department of Health-HSE report also indicates that its assessment of the amount paid into the account may not be the total sum involved.
    It says that because full details of transactions are unavailable it is possible there may have been other sources of income to the account from late 1998 to 2001.
    A spokesman for Siptu last night said that the only funds in the account the union could account for was €4.4 million, as set out in its own report on the issue earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I think SIPTU have been set up here to further the anti-union agenda..

Set up this has happened now a few times...you can only set sxomeone up if they are doing something underhand or dishonest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

That's not a fair representation of what is happening.

One of the alleged wrongdoers is the HSE. Their internal auditors discovered questionable transactions and disclosed them. The matter is before the PAC and, I infer, is also with the CAG.

There is an allegation that SIPTU is involved, and allegation that SIPTU refutes. This allegation is in the public domain, and they have refuted the allegation in the same forum. They have indicated clearly that they intend to co-operate with any enquiry.

While the matter is in the public domain, and SIPTU is being criticised by some and judged by others, should they be obliged to say nothing?

The fact that SIPTU are paying 350k back because of funds taken out of this account shows that at least some of its members were implicated in using this slush fund...No union in history gives money away for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Could that be classified as BENEFIT IN KIND????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Does anybody have any idea when some of the runners and riders in this saga will be heading for Mountjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Does anybody have any idea when some of the runners and riders in this saga will be heading for Mountjoy.

Fraud squad coming down the line

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/siptu-calls-in-fraud-squad-over-5m-slush-fund-3009896.html

Tora Bora wrote: »

Thanks Tora Bora.
    I wonder if this is another "snow" job ,like the famous Garda raid on the Anglo offices some time back?
    I'm getting very cynical in my old age!

All over the Indo again today.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/siptu-boss-paid-for-five-sun-holidays-on-union-credit-card-29230058.html

I wonder what sort of retirement package Mr. Merirgan received for all that hard work flying around the world for us?
    I also wonder when we will see any of them being questioned in a witness box?

This is a case that absolutely drives me bonkers!
    And, I suppose like many a poster before me who sees their pet gripe failing to gather momentum, I cannot understand why there is such little interest or response to it.
    Is the corruption of the "wurkin" class any less obnoxious than the corruption of our so called betters?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

This is a case that absolutely drives me bonkers!
    And, I suppose like many a poster before me who sees their pet gripe failing to gather momentum, I cannot understand why there is such little interest or response to it.
    Is the corruption of the "wurkin" class any less obnoxious than the corruption of our so called betters?

In a sea of corruption it's easy to miss the flotsam. A convenient reality as you float by on your junket. Guess no one finds it politically appropriate to have the guards involved either.

Advertisement