Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AgeCards are 'not a form of ID'? What?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't drive and I haven't been out of the country in the last 11 years and don't have any plans to travel so I do not have a passport.

But passports are being used as a national ID.
    National ID cards are usually free but we have to pay 80quid for one in the form of a passport. I went to change my mobile phone provider and was told that I had to fork out and get either a passport or a drivers leince to do so, mortguage statements, bank statements, birthcerts ect aren't' any good so I have to pay 80 euro to prove who I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That's madness OP. I often been to places or filled out forms and states that an Age Card is in fact a form of ID. Sure I was in the states just gone 21, no make up on, bought a drink but was asked for ID, I didn't have my passport on me at the time but had my age card with me and it was fine! A little mortified and embarrassed but was considered a form of ID as well as proof of age back then thats going back a couple of years though. Ya rarely asked for my ID at a check out when buying alcohol but when I am asked I get annoyed causes its usually the oldie ones will always ask! I'm 25, I may look young for my age but still it gets annoying after awhile. Certain bouncers of course will be strict depending on the club or pub and age group policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Any tesco I've ever been asked for id in has only accepted age cards, passports wouldn't do. It's mad. The filling out the form in the garda station thing doesn't seem odd to me though, you've to do that for a passport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Haven't heard of that now, are you sure they were refusing you solely on the basis of age/id? Not doubting you or anything but that just sounds rather bizarre. A valid passport HAS to be accpeted. It's the standard legally-recognised form of personal identification in just about every bloody country on the planet.

If someone refused to accept my passport as a proof of id (or age in the OP's case) I would stand my ground and call the gardai right there, as the only way they can refuse to accept it is if it's out of date, which they would tell you, or if they think it's fake which is an issue that would require the guards attention anyway.

I remember on the day I turned 18 going into my local tesco to load up on booze for my 18th. Was told by the person at the till that they didn't accept passports. Told her to get a manager. Manager told me the same thing, had an arguement for a long time, as I was literally 18 that day so it would have been impossible for me to have an age card. After ANOTHER manager was called and the two discussed it for about 20 minutes they "decided to let me away with it this once."

So yeah, a lot of these places don't know what they're at, whether it's a manager or someone behind the till.

ALSO have had my AGE CARD refused in Dunnes being told that they didn't accept them. :rolleyes: Had to get a manager to deal with that too, despite the fact that I pointed out the big "WE ACCEPT AGE CARDS" sign at the till to the person there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

National ID cards, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I remember buying beer in Dunnes before, I was asked for ID and showed them my passport (I'm 21), then she asked my mate next to me for ID and he showed his drivers license (he was almost 21) and we were refused because they didn't accept a drivers livense. Even though it was me buying the drink and I had a passport... I couldn't believe it. For starters, even if I was buying it for someone else who was underage, they wouldn't be ****ing standing next to me in the shop! Not to mention he HAD ID showing he was 20 they just didn't accept it.
    Vaguely similar thing happened to me except I was the one who had to refuse service. Young lad comes into the shop and tries to buy some beer, when I ID him he hasn't got any on him so I had to refuse. He leaves the shop and comes back 10 seconds later with his older brother who does have ID but unfortunately I can't service him either because he tried to buy the alcohol with the lad I refused standing right next to him. Felt like a bollox for not serving him but if it turned out that the young lad was given the drink by his bro then I could have lost my job and the shop closed down for a few days.

Moral of the story, the till jockeys are not taking perverse pleasure out of refusing service but are just following the sometimes ridiculous rules imposed on them by the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You could be right, although that would be downright ridiculous. Say I own a pub and a close family friend comes in who I know is 20 years of age. He has to have ID on him? No.

Also "18-23" seems a pretty arbitrary range.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think that's bollocks.

I apologise, I've since had time to look it up and it's a person between 18 and 21 must be able to prove their age. So it's not complete bollocks. Link

The point still stands though that they do have to ask for id if they believe you to be under 21. Given the choice of pissing off some young person who can't produce proof of age or getting a fine for breaking the terms of the licence, I'll take the former every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

>"I am 18! Look, here's my AgeCard"
    <presents AgeCard>
    Bouncer: "Ah, I see somebody is 18, but who are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Adyx wrote: »
    The point still stands though that they do have to ask for id if they believe you to be under 21.

It seems a very vague law though, doesn't it?

Like say I serve someone who is 19 without asking for ID and get told "you should have asked them for ID", I can just say "i thought he looked over 21". They can't prove I didn't think that, and since he was 19 I didn't break any law.

Ultimately the person serving you is taking a risk that you are of age, and by providing passport, license, Agecard etc you are lessening that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It seems a very vague law though, doesn't it?

Like say I serve someone who is 19 without asking for ID and get told "you should have asked them for ID", I can just say "i thought he looked over 21". They can't prove I didn't think that, and since he was 19 I didn't break any law.

Ultimately the person serving you is taking a risk that you are of age, and by providing passport, license, Agecard etc you are lessening that risk.

It is vague. But it's the same situation when it comes to someone, who is say 16; "Oh I thought he looked over 18". That's the problem at the moment, although it is actually a defence. You just have to convince them.

My solution: ask everyone who looks even remotely younger than 23 even if they've been allowed in by bouncers. That way my arse is covered. If it pisses off a few people who don't have ID, that's not my problem.

For the record, I did/do accept Passport, drivers licence and age card. Age cards are dodgy though, they are often badly damaged and if the damage is excessive in my eyes, I won't take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

how about you don't be a ****ing jobsworth and just serve the guy?
    Because when you have a job, you don't really give a flying f**k who the customer is: you follow the rules to keep that job. They may make no sense, but once you follow them, you get to keep your job.

Simple as.

Don't do your job, and in a recession, there are a hundred CV's in the office, waiting to fill your position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

the_syco wrote: »
    Because when you have a job, you don't really give a flying f**k who the customer is: you follow the rules to keep that job.

I would have thought that treating the customer with respect and showing initiative/common sense were all things that make a good employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Hi sorry for the little thread derail

How long does it take to get an age card, after you go to the
    station and fill required form.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

clived2 wrote: »
    Hi sorry for the little thread derail

How long does it take to get an age card, after you go to the
    station and fill required form.

Thanks in advance

From FAQ's on website:

How long will it take to get my card?
    It is expected that you would receive your card within 6/8 weeks of applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

From FAQ's on website:

thanks, 6-8 weeks:eek:
    Should have found that myself

Where are they going china, and back again( that would take less than a week )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

No prob clived2

I'm amazed at the amount of bitching about off license staff / bar staff / doormen etc.

They don't have to serve you or let you in.

If you have kids someday, you'll be happy for people like these to refuse to serve them if they are not happy with ID.

If you don't like the attitude of staff, complain and don't go back!

From FAQ's on website:

Lol... it said the same thing when I applied for mine, and it took around 5 months.

My girlfriend (age 25) was asked for her age card when buying booze last week, and she produced the one that she had when she was 18. Apparently there's a more recent age card out now, so she was refused because she had an old age card, which makes no sense in my head.

Dónal wrote: »
    My girlfriend (age 25) was asked for her age card when buying booze last week, and she produced the one that she had when she was 18. Apparently there's a more recent age card out now, so she was refused because she had an old age card, which makes no sense in my head.

Not 100% but fairly sure that she can go into a garda station and hand it in to them and send off a form to get it replaced with the newer type for free. Hmmm, thinking about it though there may be an age restriction on that....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

lizt wrote: »
    That was my interpretation of the post - a passport should be the one stop shop for ID, i.e. that should be the only form of I.D accepted.

No, that wasn't what I meant. You're not comfortable bringing out your passport, fair enough. Other people are, whether it breaks the law or not is immaterial. If I present my passport to whomever, it should be accepted as a valid form of identification. Nobody should ever ask to see anything else or tell me that my passport isn't good enough.

If it is good enough to allow me to leave and re-enter this state, it is good enough for anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not 100% but fairly sure that she can go into a garda station and hand it in to them and send off a form to get it replaced with the newer type for free. Hmmm, thinking about it though there may be an age restriction on that....

Yes, you're right. She could re-apply. But they've not been handing out these old age-cards for a few years now, so if she was in possession of one then she was obviously 18 for quite some time.

It's a different story if, and this is what I suspect, the picture on the old agecard was of poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

isn't the difference between proof of age and ID, that an age card can prove you are who are over 18 to do over 18 things...
    an ID, or Identification, proves you are who you say you are, to open bank accounts etc...

I dunno, thats all the sense I can make from it

Advertisement