Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AgeCards are 'not a form of ID'? What?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    ...and people under 21 don't have a say in the making of any policies or anything...

it is completely wrong but u21s don't have a say anywhere really...

lol, last time I checked 18, 19, amd 20 yeard olds were allowed to vote. So they have that much of a say anyway, and it's much as most of us have most of the time.

Again, maybe it's just me, but if I was said employee I would recognise "don't accept passports" as being total bollocks, and serve the person anyway...

Deliberately ignoring company policy WILL get you fired though, especially on something like this where there are potential legal implications for your emplyer. That's the problem and something to bear in mind for whatever future career you follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Deliberately ignoring company policy WILL get you fired though, especially on something like this where there are potential legal implications for your emplyer
    There are no legal implications in serving a person aged 18+

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lol no, they were not using the form for an agecard as ID...

And they are issuing AgeCards, but you can't just pick up a form, you need to fill it in there with them.

Like I said, I don't understand how the reason she gave has anything to do with not being able to give out forms, but it's not like you can expect the Gardai to provide you with a valid, sensible reason for anything much.

A reason is not going to let you take the form home... so what does it matter? Fill it out there and then.. get it over with... what's the problem? That's what you intended on doing right?

A reason is not going to let you take the form home... so what does it matter? Fill it out there and then.. get it over with... what's the problem??
    :rolleyes:
    There isn't one, I'm just wondering why an AgeCard doesn't count as ID.

There are no legal implications in serving a person aged 18+

You know what I meant, legal implications for the employer if a person underage does get served, which is why some of them may appear almost paranoid about it. There are heavy fines in place now for stores/off-licenses etc that get caught, and with Dermot Ahern threatening a crackdown (and yes I know he's a muppet but anyway) you can see how senior bosses would be insisting that their store managers are extra vigilant, and if you're the boss of an ALDI store (for example) you don't want your store to be the one getting fined and/or sued. This filters down to the checkout staff who are put on red-alert and who have no autonomy to make their own decisions, they just do as they're told.

• Advertisement

You know what I meant, legal implications for the employer if a person underage does get served, which is why some of them may appear almost paranoid about it..

Yeah I'm not saying just serve everyone, I'm saying if someone shows you their passport you can be pretty damn sure they are of legal age, so use a bit of discretion.

BTW how is it legal to send in underage people to buy drink? Is that not entrapment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

DeVore wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a national identity card PER SE... it what its used for later and what is done with the information collected that is wrong.

DeV.
    Careful now, you're currently standing under the hornet's nest with the bat in your hand just looking at it...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

AgeCards should be valid proof to obtain Alcohol. So should a drivers license and a passport.

I've heard that it's against the law to have your passport out for non-essential use, it's also illegal to hold a colour photocopy. Black & White photocopies have gotten me into places before while I was waiting on my AgeCard to come through.

The passport should be the one stop for ID really. It should never be refused as a form of valid identification IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Ill be 27 in a few weeks and whats strange is...I get asked for ID more now than I ever did before, mainly in Supervalu, Aldi, night clubs and the odd shop. Im talking regularly being asked. I used to hate it when i was 18-20, now I just laugh at them and show them my age card, same one since I turned 18.

I take it as a compliment...they think I look 10 years younger...thats fine by me. I dont plaster make up on myself daily, maybe thats why, (joke!). Funnily enough, they have always accepted my age card, never asked for my passport. If there was a fuss about that...then i'd go mental!

Its way too dodgy to bring your passport around with you everywhere. When I was in Australia on holiday, I was asked for ID there too and still used my age card showing them the Irish government logo etc. They accepted.

One question...is it true that when you turn 25, that you actually dont have to carry ID with you anymore and show it to bouncers?! This is what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Bubs99 wrote: »
    One question...is it true that when you turn 25, that you actually dont have to carry ID with you anymore and show it to bouncers?! This is what I was told.

You don't have to carry it any time, but they don't have to let you in whether you have it or not either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Also it's illegal to take your passport out for non-essential use.

Under what law?

BTW how is it legal to send in underage people to buy drink? Is that not entrapment?

I don't know, I suppose it might be construed as such. You'd imagine the minister in question would have done his legal homework first though, but then again this is Dermot Ahern and Fianna Fail we're talking about, so who knows.

Bubs99 wrote: »

Unlikely I'd have thought. Even if you are 25, how is the bouncer supposed to know if you can't prove it? I know with most 25 yr olds it should be obvious enough, but some people can look significantly older or younger than they really are.

Most bouncers these days don't even look at my ID, but I bet if I walked up without any they'd tell me to piss off.

It's a bit crap how by the time you get to an age where you don't have to worry about taking ID with you, you're probably too old for it all anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Haven't heard of that now, are you sure they were refusing you solely on the basis of age/id? Not doubting you or anything but that just sounds rather bizarre. A valid passport HAS to be accpeted. It's the standard legally-recognised form of personal identification in just about every bloody country on the planet.

If someone refused to accept my passport as a proof of id (or age in the OP's case) I would stand my ground and call the gardai right there, as the only way they can refuse to accept it is if it's out of date, which they would tell you, or if they think it's fake which is an issue that would require the guards attention anyway.
    Definatly , I remember that one distinctly because everyone else only had college id and we knew they wouldnt accept that . Everyone else was outside so they couldnt use the excuse that i was buying for other people

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The passport should be the one stop for ID really. It should never be refused as a form of valid identification IMO.

Don't agree. I never use my passport to get into pubs, nightclub. I always use my age card or licence. I wouldn't feel safe having my passport on me all night. It's harder to get a replacement passport than a replacement age card.

I remember buying beer in Dunnes before, I was asked for ID and showed them my passport (I'm 21), then she asked my mate next to me for ID and he showed his drivers license (he was almost 21) and we were refused because they didn't accept a drivers livense. Even though it was me buying the drink and I had a passport... I couldn't believe it. For starters, even if I was buying it for someone else who was underage, they wouldn't be ****ing standing next to me in the shop! Not to mention he HAD ID showing he was 20 they just didn't accept it.

After protesting a bit I shrugged and went to take the crate of beer to another til, but she grabbed it and told me she had to keep it. So I laughed in her face and went and got another one, went to a different til, and wasn't even asked for ID.

lizt wrote: »
    Don't agree. I never use my passport to get into pubs, nightclub. I always use my age card or licence. I wouldn't feel safe having my passport on me all night. It's harder to get a replacement passport than a replacement age card.

What do you mean "don't agree"? He didn't say they shouldn't accept other forms of ID, just that they should never refuse a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Junior Cert forum?

stovelid wrote: »
    Junior Cert forum?
    It's a discussion about what merits acceptable ID.

Maybe it's your posts that would be best confided there.

What do you mean "don't agree"? He didn't say they shouldn't accept other forms of ID, just that they should never refuse a passport.

I meant that a passport shouldn't be the only accepted proof of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Are you sure you have to fill in the form in the station? A couple of weeks ago I got my mum to get me a form from the station in Rathfarnham because Dundrum had none. My face has been completely rubbed off my old ID. :confused:

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Are you sure you have to fill in the form in the station? A couple of weeks ago I got my mum to get me a form from the station in Rathfarnham because Dundrum had none. My face has been completely rubbed off my old ID. :confused:

AFAIK, you don't need to fill the form in in the station, you just have to sign it in the presence of a garda.

I meant that a passport shouldn't be the only accepted proof of age.
    I know you did. But that isn't what the other poster was saying at all.
    ColmDawson wrote: »
    That's what they told me in Galway.

Is there still a laughably long waiting time to get an AgeCard by the way? I heard they send the applications off in batches, and the last time I applied for one I waited about 6 months. Absolute joke tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Why not just say "I'm 22, I've not carried ID with me in the past two years, sorry about that".

It's better than the usual crap of "I'm going on holidays tomorrow and I don't want to lose my passport and I don't drive and..." that I'm sure bouncers put up with.

Be cool and honest with them - explain why you don't carry it "I'm 22" and you've not carried it the past two years. This way you're telling them your age and that you've been out on the beer for at least two years.

I know you did. But that isn't what the other poster was saying at all.

That was my interpretation of the post - a passport should be the one stop shop for ID, i.e. that should be the only form of I.D accepted. Obviously your interpretation of the post was different, so thanks for jumping down my throat about that.
    Anyway, good luck with getting the age card.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Whoever prints these things cant be the smartest bunch in the world. Left an i out of my name when i got mine. Didnt think it would work and id have to get a new one seeing as my name on it now looks like no name iv ever heard but nobody has even batted an eyelid.

Naos wrote: »
    Why not just say "I'm 22, I've not carried ID with me in the past two years, sorry about that".

It's better than the usual crap of "I'm going on holidays tomorrow and I don't want to lose my passport and I don't drive and..." that I'm sure bouncers put up with.

Be cool and honest with them - explain why you don't carry it "I'm 22" and you've not carried it the past two years. This way you're telling them your age and that you've been out on the beer for at least two years.

Have you ever met a bouncer? 99% of them assume that everybody in the club is drunk out of their minds and cannot comprehend reason (inb4 'they are'). I've been pushed out the door of a club before while trying to get my jacket back because most bouncers won't even bother listening to you.

To be honest, most of the places I drink these days are regular haunts of mine and I don't get ID'd at all anyway.

That was my interpretation of the post - a passport should be the one stop shop for ID, i.e. that should be the only form of I.D accepted. Obviously your interpretation of the post was different, so thanks for jumping down my throat about that.
    Anyway, good luck with getting the age card.

Didn't mean to jump down your throat, was only correcting you :pac:
    Louthdrog wrote: »
    Whoever prints these things cant be the smartest bunch in the world. Left an i out of my name when i got mine. Didnt think it would work and id have to get a new one seeing as my name on it now looks like no name iv ever heard but nobody has even batted an eyelid.

Haha my friend got his back and it said he was a female. God knows why it even has to say your sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a discussion about what merits acceptable ID.

Being able to shave does it for me. ;)

stovelid wrote: »
    Being able to shave does it for me. ;)
    You only started shaving at 18 did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

It's pretty ridiculous all right. I have this card that proves that someone is over 18 but it's not valid proof that I am that someone.

Advertisement