Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ian Dempseys Breakfast show jumped the shark?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

Having been away for a year I forgot how terrible Irish radio was, but I was out early this morning and forced to endure an hour of this rubbish. Surely they realise the whole format has gone stale? The gift gurb this morning was terribly un-funny ("an extended version of the bertie ad") followed by a daniel o'donnell impression, the same auld shite thats been on that show for years now. Followed by some competition to win a fridge... This passes for entertainment in this country?!

Can't say the alternatives were much better... Hector was on 2fm, god help us!

So am I alone in feeling like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

No its true. All morning radio is really annoying unless you stick to news like Newstalk and Radio 1. For some reason the stations think the masses want zany presenters talking about crazy things and winning silly prizes or playing tricks on the public. Even Nova, now officially the best radio station;), still manages to have an irritating presenter talking rubbish and playing Whitesnake in the mornings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Last i listened to it was about 2 1/2 years ago... i found it lightly amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

you mean you dislike something? no, you're not alone, we all have our own taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Adam wrote: »
    you mean you dislike something? no, you're not alone, we all have our own taste.

Not just disliking something. I remember a few years ago going to school and quite enjoying it. Listening to it this morning it sounds like nothing has changed. I mean they're still doing that awful impression of Roy Keane.

Sure not everything will be to my taste but it seems this programme hasn't matured at all, the same content over and over again. I don't know how anyone could listen to it day in day out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It's a crappy morning zoo show, what did you expect?

This type of radio is popular for some reason. I guess a lot of people like "funny" voices, parody songs and piss poor comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Jim Nugents songs are not funny at all. The only decent one he had was Mick McCarthys baby but that probably because i was buzzing around the time of the world cup and it brings back good memories. FM104 is to be left alone in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Marty Whelan on Lyric FM. Hard to believe I know, but I used to think he was a knob, but he has a serious taste in music, plays a large range of blues, jazz,classical etc including a lot of Ennio Morricone, he has switched from lunch-time and is a great alternative to the doom and gloom.

patmac wrote: »
    Marty Whelan on Lyric FM. Hard to believe I know, but I used to think he was a knob, but he has a serious taste in music, plays a large range of blues, jazz,classical etc including a lot of Ennio Morricone, he has switched from lunch-time and is a great alternative to the doom and gloom.

He definitely has one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

It obviously is popular with some people or it wouldn't be on the air anymore. The gift grub shows sell out in the blink of an eye, so someone likes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

give iano a break. its just a bit of light hearted fun. you wouldnt want anything too serious that early in the morning

• Advertisement

Ledger wrote: »
    give iano a break. its just a bit of light hearted fun. you wouldnt want anything too serious that early in the morning

Oh I agree everyone needs a break from doom and gloom so Radio 1 and Newstalk were off this morning. I just didn't think I would be listening to the same stuff and impressions that were on the air over 8 years ago!

The last time Mario Rosenstock was funny was when he was in Ballykissangel

Oh I agree everyone needs a break from doom and gloom so Radio 1 and Newstalk were off this morning. I just didn't think I would be listening to the same stuff and impressions that were on the air over 8 years ago!

I agree the format hasnt really changed, but, i suppose it works.

He does keep it up to date with the current affairs though.

I disagree with your opinion on Mario though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't think you can just single out Dempsey, the whole station seems to be getting stale...especially Ray D'arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 handsome ken

I have to say that for the last few years i was a great fan of the show and wouldn't miss it at all on my drive to work. i have to agree now though that it has gotten a little stale. Mario's impressions show what a talent he is but the rest is just mediocre. this new quiz "the grid" is useless. Do they just put something together overnight and lash it on?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't think you can just single out Dempsey, the whole station seems to be getting stale...especially Ray D'arcy.

I think Ray D'arcy is like Joe Duffy Lite, its not so serious.

Ray Foley is a breath of fresh air to the station tho alright

I agree the format hasnt really changed, but, i suppose it works.

He does keep it up to date with the current affairs though.

I disagree with your opinion on Mario though :P

Mario is a decent mimic, but not brilliant, his Roy Keane impression is way off the mark, hes just doing a cork accent. As for current affairs, while this mornings subject was topical, the some of people that featured in it, while well known in Ireland, have been out of the public eye for a while (Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Daniel O'Donnell and Roy Keane are four that I can recall)

I just don't know how anyone can listen to it without being on some sort of sedative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

You know the way you know some things are just not right? Like drinking petrol. My brain wont allow me to drink petrol.

My brain just wont allow me to say anything bad about Ian Dempsey. He just seems like too nice of a guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Having been away for a year I forgot how terrible Irish radio was, but I was out early this morning and forced to endure an hour of this rubbish. Surely they realise the whole format has gone stale? The gift gurb this morning was terribly un-funny ("an extended version of the bertie ad") followed by a daniel o'donnell impression, the same auld shite thats been on that show for years now. Followed by some competition to win a fridge... This passes for entertainment in this country?!

Can't say the alternatives were much better... Hector was on 2fm, god help us!

So am I alone in feeling like this?

How is this "Jumping the shark" exactly?

Mario is a decent mimic, but not brilliant, his Roy Keane impression is way off the mark, hes just doing a cork accent. As for current affairs, while this mornings subject was topical, the some of people that featured in it, while well known in Ireland, have been out of the public eye for a while (Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Daniel O'Donnell and Roy Keane are three that I can recall)

I just don't know how anyone can listen to it without being on some sort of sedative.

but thats the point, it's not meant to be spot on.

What makes it funny is that he is way off, thats what he aims for.

but thats the point, it's not meant to be spot on.

What makes it funny is that he is way off, thats what he aims for.

No a mimic is meant to exaggerate mannerisms, not invent them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Daniel O'Donnell and Roy Keane are three that I can recall

Three... as in 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think Ray D'arcy is like Joe Duffy Lite, its not so serious.

Ray Foley is a breath of fresh air to the station tho alright

Ray Foley is OK if you've had half your brain removed.

No a mimic is meant to exaggerate mannerisms, not invent them.

he's not inventing them.like for instance, roy's laugh.

Three... as in 3?

How is this "Jumping the shark" exactly?

The moment of downturn in a previously successful enterprise. I'm asking had Ian Dempseys breakfast show come past that point in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I cant stand Ian Dempsey anymore...He is NOT funny anymore.
    Hector = BLEHH!!!!
    Shannon Side Northern Sound's Sean McCaffery = Better than Hector and Ian put together.

Maybe we should get PROPER people on instead of these Z-listers that have nothing better to do with their lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

If you dont like the Ian Dempsey show, "there are plenty of more fish in the sea"..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The moment of downturn in a previously successful enterprise. I'm asking had Ian Dempseys breakfast show come past that point in your opinion.

The moment of downturn here has been gradual and not facilitated by a massive and unbelievable stunt, that turns people away.

if you had continued your (uncredited) wikipedia quote, you would also have copied in "Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of downturn for a previously successful enterprise. The phrase was originally used to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd storylines or unlikely characterizations."
    I was asking at what point did this happen, or has it just been a gradual stagnation, that you are only now noticing?

The moment of downturn here has been gradual and not facilitated by a massive and unbelievable stunt, that turns people away.

if you had continued your (uncredited) wikipedia quote, you would also have copied in "Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of downturn for a previously successful enterprise. The phrase was originally used to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd storylines or unlikely characterizations."
    I was asking at what point did this happen, or has it just been a gradual stagnation, that you are only now noticing?

Surely originally is the key word here, it isn't how its interpreted now.

I don't know if it has been gradual stagnation or not as I'm not a regular listener, I've only come back to the country. I interpret the phrase "jumping the shark" as a point where the viewer realises the programme is a crock of shit, Whether this is through a stunt like in happy days, or an epiphany moment when listening to a gradual decline or stagnation in a programmes format/output.

This is just semantics, my point was understood by the vast majority of posters here so is there any reason for arguing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

successful enterprise. The phrase was originally used to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot spins off into absurd storylines or unlikely characterizations."It actaully comes from Happy Days when the Fonz Jumps a shark on a pair of water skis, the show was cancelled soon after

Advertisement