Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we ban junk food?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 4:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Because people get chronic diseases when they eat junk food alot is this a reason to ban it? When these people get sick they don't shoulder the full burden of the costs themselves, instead taxpayers are forced to foot the bill.

In many places they have banned transfats because they are considered to dangerous. Several countries have banned the diabetes drug Avandia because of the negative side effects, leading to death in some cases.

If we can ban transfats and dangerous drugs why can't we ban junk food?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

No because some people have the abilty to apply moderation to their diet and why should they go without burgers, pizzas and fish and chips just because some individuals can't moderate their diet sufficiently?

Because people like it, and you'd lose hundreds of thousands of jobs if such a ban came in and began to spread worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What about drink and cigarettes? Should they not be banned first?

Also, look at how well banning things works, all you'll do is force people to go to the corner to get their bag of crisps off some shady chap.

I think is double charging fat people for everything, they'd soon shape up.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

southpark has already covered this topic in season 14 medicinal fried chicken i think that episode should clear everything up for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Austerity

Because obese people with obesity related chronic diseases cost the taxpayers ****loads of money. Isn't that argument enough to ban junk food?

Maybe we can instead add punitive taxes to junk food like with alcohol and ciggies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

hands up anyone who wants to live in a world without burger bites ..................... no-one?

OK

\thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

perhaps not BAN junk food altogether but put warning labels on it and make it age restricted purchases... like only people 16 years and older can buy them but any age can eat (so if parents allow junk food they have to buy it for the children)

perhaps not BAN junk food altogether but put warning labels on it and make it age restricted purchases... like only people 16 years and older can buy them but any age can eat (so if parents allow junk food they have to buy it for the children)
    Why should parents be allowed to give their children junk food?
    It's illegal for parents to give their children alcohol, but some do anyways. We call those bad parents.

OK, well lets apply the same logic to other things that lead to unhealthy people. It's only fair;

Alcohol and cigarettes? Top of the list, surely. They're outta here!

And sure videogames mean people aren't exercising. Ban them.

Same for TV. Prevent exercise, it's gotta go. Both videogames and TV can lead to unhealthy lifestyles if not used in moderation.

Internet? Gone.

Austerity wrote: »
    It's illegal for parents to give their children alcohol, but some do anyways. We call those bad parents.
    bad parents are going to be bad parents... some people do eat junk food in moderation and we shouldn't punish those people because most people have no self control

Internet? Gone.
    according to your logic you shouldn't even be posting on here... lol

• Advertisement

Throw "You have to be this narrow to enter" signs at the front of fast food joints and the problem's solved.

according to your logic you shouldn't even be posting on here... lol

... but I am. I also ate a Twirl a few hours ago. :)

Everything in moderation (except the net, I admit. If i said I only use it in moderation, whilst posting at 4.37am, I'd just look foolish).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Because it's a nice treat for them now and again.
    Austerity wrote:

Indeed. Mediterranean countries might have a more liberal attitude on teenagers drinking a glass of wine at dinner, wouldn't say it is bad parenting.

Alcohol causes serious problems in Irish society. We should ban it, yeah?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Because it's a nice treat for them now and again.

Indeed. Mediterranean countries might have a more liberal attitude on teenagers drinking a glass of wine at dinner, wouldn't say it is bad parenting.

Alcohol causes serious problems in Irish society. We should ban it, yeah?
    Yes you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I assume the people on here are not so fat they can't leave the house.
    Look, life is a choice, drugs, smoking, sugar and fatty food.

These things are nice in moderation (except drugs), the problem happens when you lose control on any of the vices and let them become the reason to live. My opinion is that fat people are a form of slow suicide and are looking for attention. They know they are going to die of organ failure but the attention they get is worth the pain from their point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

No it shouldn't be banned, neither should alcohol. It's all about personal freedoms. The Government should have a duty to inform people of the dangers of it but once they've done that if people want to continue eating it then it's their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

TheUsual wrote: »
    My opinion is that fat people are a form of slow suicide and are looking for attention. They know they are going to die of organ failure but the attention they get is worth the pain from their point of view.

You just made me Facepalm IRL

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Eat enough spuds, white rice and pasta and you can pile on the pounds that way too. Should we ban those too? Because the last time the country had to go without potatoes was soooooooo good for them...

... but I am. I also ate a Twirl a few hours ago. :)

Everything in moderation (except the net, I admit. If i said I only use it in moderation, whilst posting at 4.37am, I'd just look foolish).
    lol, indeed! i think so long as people are given proper info on unhealthy things and they can make their own decision...

if an adult person wants to drink, smoke, do drugs, watch tv, computer and eat $hit all day and night knowing how bad it is for them; that is their prerogative... if they want an early grave who are we to stop them?

Hedman wrote: »
    No it shouldn't be banned, neither should alcohol. It's all about personal freedoms. The Government should have a duty to inform people of the dangers of it but once they've done that if people want to continue eating it then it's their own business.
    What about the personal freedom of the people who will have to pay for their healthcare costs, ie the taxpayer. They have no choice in the matter they are forced to pay for the hospital treatment of people who get diseases related to alcoholism and obesity.

This system is one of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

Who is it that will define what junk food is anyway?

The foods that we are told should form the basis of our diet, carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc), are unhealthy when eaten in large quantities and are the cause of many diseases.

moonage wrote: »

The foods that we are told should form the basis of our diet, carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc), are unhealthy when eaten in large quantities and are the cause of many diseases.
    Carbohydrates in the form of bread, rice, pasta and potatoes are dangerous and can lead to type 2 diabetes. There should be a warning label on these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes you should.

Grand. So junk food, alcohol, smokes I presume, what else would you ban?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

i'm sure they could make a system involving how much fat and/or sugar is in processed foods... obviously a potato is not junk food because it has to additives, but a bag of crisps could be loaded with a day's worth of fat in one serving... not to mention the mass amount of preservatives that make it harder for our body to digest said junk "food"

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

Carbohydrates in the form of bread, rice, pasta and potatoes are dangerous and can lead to type 2 diabetes. There should be a warning label on these products.

Only a warning label?

I thought you wanted them banned.

Only a warning label?

I thought you wanted them banned.
    Obviously rice, potatoes and bread are not as dangerous as alcohol and junk food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

To back up your stupid idea.

How about some facts, how much money does the Government shell out every year?

Subract from that, the tax gained on all those products.

See if you're left with a + or a - figure.

And then post that please.

Without facts, it's just another shít thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Junk food isnt bad for your health, being an idiot is. Dangerous is definitely a stretch.

FFS if you eat a McDonalds every day you'll get a little heavy. If you eat the same volume of Tuna every day you'll get Mercury poisoning (itching, burning or pain, skin discoloration (pink cheeks, fingertips and toes), swelling, and desquamation (shedding of skin); and thats just for starters).

Twenty something bananas will give you Potassium poisoning and possibly kill you. Wanna ban bananas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Twenty something bananas will give you Potassium poisoning and possibly kill you. Wanna ban bananas?

Bullshit.

I lived on a raw vegan diet for over three months a few years back and had well over 25 bananas a day on average.

Indeed, there are many people who live on a raw vegan diet and use bananas as one of their main staples.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Bullshit.

I lived on a raw vegan diet for over three months a few years back and had well over 25 bananas a day on average.

Indeed, there are many people who live on a raw vegan diet and use bananas as one of their main staples.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/
    Damn you, making me read articles by posting links, GRRRRR.

Good one though tbh, http://www.30bananasaday.com/profiles/blogs/the-leadville-100-mile

Advertisement