Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round II, fight. (the 2011 preperation montage)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've no idea what the training plan will look like, but I expect a professional would prefer his methods kept private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Thought it would be something like that but dont kill the thread update your improvements curious to see how it helps and how close you get back to form from a few years ago

so a month in, retested today.

Different protocol again today. Threshold seems to have shifted west by about 30 watts or so.

Structured training is less mind numbing, turbo sessions designed to simulate race surges, varying cadences. No maximal work whatsoever, in fact I've hardly breached threshold since I started.

Have ordered a pink number plate, but would aspire to ditch that reasonably promptly - be that by race results or a quick phone call...

Racing is still some 6 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

uberwolf wrote: »
    Racing is still some 6 weeks away.

Not tempted by the openers this weekend?

Nah, I reckon a dew more weeks structured training will serve me better in the medium term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I find your patience disturbing.

Lumen wrote: »

I think hes planning a come back like a coiled spring !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

More about the marriage please.

Lumen wrote: »

hadn't looked at it like that. The racing isn't something I'm keen on at the moment, it's not a lot of fun unless you have the legs!

The other side of it is I'm hoping the bunches have thinned a little by April. Reading the race reports here last year, with stories of nervous bunches and pile ups hasn't bigged it up to much!
    levitronix wrote: »
    I think hes planning a come back like a coiled spring !!

I'd have a few years training to do if that were the case... It's not going to be pretty when it happens.
    More about the marriage please.

eh. In respect of the strictly cycling piece it's been a case of balancing matters and getting what training I can in in the morning, rather than being absent in the evenings / weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm sure you know this but the racing will give you the legs quicker than the training. The A3 bunch was fine today. Maybe 75. Very little nerviness from what I saw.

• Advertisement

thought id dig this out, see where you ended up ?

:o thanks a bunch for bumping this. :P

do you know, this had been on my mind recently!

nowhere is the answer.

I went and got coaching, followed a program religiously for 3 months additional to what is logged here. That saw me training 6 days a week - 2 core strength days - 1hr each day plus occasional 40 minutes cardio on those days, 3 long cardio days, and 1hr spin out of the legs.

It broke me. Mentally that is. It became a chore. My whole week had to be adapted to the training, and by the time I'd identified that I was fed up it was too late. It didn't help that I'd established no rapport with the coach so didn't feel comfortable approaching him. I'd also established no goals to speak of.

I did two road races and one mtb race. I was fit, but didn't have the speed in my legs to do anything in the road races. I did well in the mtb race.

And I haven't done a tap since.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe you should just race more and forget about the training. Club racing is fun and sociable, even if you're able to get out one night a week.

For various reasons I didn't cycle all summer apart from commuting and I was still able to enjoy the last race of the season in semi-limit.

Yeah i enjoyed that one too, getting lost out the back of meath haha

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

When you say you haven't done a tap since the MTB race, when was that - around June or July? Out of curiousity was your coach available for face to face contact or was it a web based set up. The web based approach seems to be fairly popoular and I'm curious if it's what you went with.

Advertisement