Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good areas in Tallaght

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This is an interesting conversation here.
    D3PO wrote:
    Another history lesson for you. Templeogue was originally Dublin 6. They tried to reclassify it to Dublin 12 but due to political pressure from the residents which essentially was nothing but snobbery they decided to create a unique postcode for it Dublin 6 West.
    An areas postcode has nothing to do with it. You cant "move" an area by changing its postcode.

I was born and raised in Old Bawn. Old Bawn, Tallaght, Dublin 24. Technically it has its own townland too and is not part of the Tallaght townland, but there has never been any snobbishness about being part of modern Tallaght there, unlike in Firhouse.

You can see the townlands here:

http://maps.epa.ie/InternetMapViewer/MapViewer.aspx

Seems to only work in IE

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm afraid you're wrong there. Old Bawn is without doubt, part of Tallaght.
    Not going by the old maps. Old Bawn was a townland distinct if itself, way bigger than Tallaght - covered Kiltipper and pretty much all of the area between the N81 and Bohernbreena.

There seems to be this desire on the part of Tallaght dwellers to have their area expand continually and consume every area around it. I can remember people arguing years ago that Knocklyon didn't exist and was part of Tallaght. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

+ 1 Im from old bawn and old bawn is certainly tallaght!!the old bawn road runs from tallaght village!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

talla10 wrote: »
    Districts

The greater Tallaght area comprises several districts. Some areas, such as Templeogue and Knocklyon were historically separate (and physically disconnected) while others like Firhouse have been part of Tallaght parish for centuries. These, and a number of other distinct places and villages are now accumulated within "Greater Tallaght," and exist under local authority structures, as the electoral area of "Tallaght South."

There's your history lesson :rolleyes:

"greater" tallaght area greater is a laughable term. Naas in in the "greater" dublin area that doesnt make it Dublin :rolleyes:

and if your seriously trying to argue electoral borders which are set by the electoral reform commision based on the electorate numbers in a given area and change every few years has any bearing your deluded :rolleyes:

2 words ordinance survey. Just read Seamus's post.

By the same argument people from Firhouse use to say they are not from Tallaght, it is not. That argument is, of course, nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

seamus wrote: »
    Not going by the old maps. Old Bawn was a townland distinct if itself, way bigger than Tallaght - covered Kiltipper and pretty much all of the area between the N81 and Bohernbreena.

Arses to the old maps, if we go by the old maps then all of Tallaght, Knocklyon and Firhouse are in the UK.

Old Bawn is in Tallaght, this is indisputable.

D3PO wrote: »
    "greater" tallaght area greater is a laughable term. Naas in in the "greater" dublin area that doesnt make it Dublin :rolleyes:

Not my words i quoted from south dublin website link wont work for some reason.

Arses to the old maps, if we go by the old maps then all of Tallaght, Knocklyon and Firhouse are in the UK.

Old Bawn is in Tallaght, this is indisputable.

If Old Bawn is in Tallaght, then so is Firhouse. QED. :P

CiaranC wrote: »
    If Old Bawn is in Tallaght, then so is Firhouse. QED. :P

yep but snobbery remains rife obviously!!think were gettin off OP point but Firhouse is also a lovely place to live..in tallaght :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

If I use an old map then I'm not originally from Killinarden in Tallaght, I'm actually from Killinarden in Whitestown, that sounds so much better :). http://www.southdublinhistory.ie/tal_map_duncan.htm?counter=1

I remember one housing estate in Tallaght when built maybe about 10 years ago being advertised as being in "Saggart", property in and near that locality now being advertises as "Citywest" example - http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=559399 .

For the OP, Tallaght is actually a very nice place once you get outside of the "scum" area's which to be honest look like ****-holes so you'll avoid them anyway. Personally I really like the Oldbawn, Aylesbury, Ellensbrough, Oldcourt area's, Kingwood and Belgard are nice too. It all depends on your budget is and what type of accommodation you are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I live in Tallaght. Overall it's a bit of a kip and has a lot of skangers.

Kingswood is ok if a bit soulless.

Personally I would go the extra 5 minutes down the road to Rathcoole or Saggart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spr

Personally I would go the extra 5 minutes down the road to Rathcoole or Saggart.

+1

I lived in Tallaght for a couple of years, but didnt like it. You might find some people are okay/nice but loads of them are skangers and they dont care how you feel/think.

Kingswood is alright though you dont want to go near the pub & the chipper there as the teenagers might harass you and also the noise comes from Belgard at night on the weekend.

Good luck!

I've lived in Tallaght my whole life (26 years) first at home then i bought a house in Kiltipper never had any problems at all. There are a lot of rough estates and scum in west Tallaght but not everyone there is scum. There are loads of lovely areas of tallaght that ya will have little or no hassle like old bawn, ellensborough, seskin view, firhouse etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was born in and grew up in Aylesbury but havent lived there in a long time. Its nice to see it getting positive press from folk in this thread :)

As for the "its in Tallaght/not in Tallaght" debate; when I lived in Aylesbury I was always of the impression that Old Bawn was not technically Tallaght but it was just considered to be a part of Tallaght all the same. Same goes for Firhouse. Im not sure what this was based on but it seemed to be the general consensus 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyway back to the OP

Kilnamagh Belgard Kingswood are all equally ON the Luas line. and they each have local shops. in Kilnamanaghs instance is happens to be larger Dunnes Stores with adjoining retail outlets.

Visit each, see what you think. Im from Tallaght. Firhouse / Tallaght who cares.. but firhouse doesnt have the Luas line ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

my three cents worth

hopefully this will settle the debate

you judge were your area is by where your MAIN post office is ,not your local one ,your main one .

in the case of firhouse i believe it is tallaght ?

this has been superceded by (bear in mind we are in a recession ) where you sign one (unemployment) do people in firhouse sign on in firhouse or do they sign on in tallaght ?

hopefully this case is rested

knighted_1 wrote: »
    my three cents worth

hopefully this will settle the debate

you judge were your area is by where your MAIN post office is ,not your local one ,your main one .

in the case of firhouse i believe it is tallaght ?

this has been superceded by (bear in mind we are in a recession ) where you sign one (unemployment) do people in firhouse sign on in firhouse or do they sign on in tallaght ?

hopefully this case is rested

I assume you mean your sorting office and no you dont. That would mean for example that Templegue is in Terenue as the "MAIN" post office i.e sorting office is in Wainsfort.

Thats completly random and not how you judge an area.

As for being superceded by where you sign on :confused::confused: I may be wrong beacuse luckily Ive never had to sign on you can do so in any postoffice, which therfore makes that point invalid.

anyway were way off topic here

I assume you mean your sorting office and no you dont. That would mean for example that Templegue is in Terenue as the "MAIN" post office i.e sorting office is in Wainsfort.

Thats completly random and not how you judge an area.

As for being superceded by where you sign on :confused::confused: I may be wrong beacuse luckily Ive never had to sign on you can do so in any postoffice, which therfore makes that point invalid.

anyway were way off topic here

you assume wrong im not talking about sorting mail ,im talking about main post office ,obviously you arnt aware of such a thing so you shouldnt comment or assume things

thankfully ,like yourself ,i as yet have not had to avail of a weekly government grand but where did i say you sign on at a post office ?

there is a social services office in tallaght where people sign on . the point was do firhouse people sign on in tallaght or templeogue or knocklyon etc

thanks for taking the time to reply to my post which was part jest to the affluent people of firhouse .

knighted_1 wrote: »
    thanks for taking the time to reply to my post which was part jest to the affluent people of firhouse .

its Friday and Im bored what can i say :p

P.S Im not from Firhouse Im from Templeogue. Just making a point :cool:

its Friday and Im bored what can i say :p

P.S Im not from Firhouse Im from Templeogue. Just making a point :cool:

people from templeogue are ok . at least yis know where yis come from :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Atomik

The age old question...
    I am from Firhouse myself and would always consider it to be part of Tallaght. The reason not being "why" and more "why not?";)
    Truth is Tallaght is a great place. A lot of real sound people and great amenities. However, i believe the 2 main reasons people say Firhouse is not in Tallaght:
    As it is a fairly new area (80s) most Adults are not actually from Firhouse, but are from Knocklyon, Templeogue, Rathfarnham etc.
    The other: Snobiness.
    Unfortunately, Tallaght has a bad name and is constantly prejudiced against.
    OP: most areas are fine. If they aren't, you'll notice pretty quickly by walking around:)

PS: 3rd reason i forgot about: insurance . Dublin 24 has some of the highest insurance loadings in the country :rolleyes:

my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dragging up an old post here. Friend is looking at investing in a property in tallaght. He's looked at suncroft.. I think its call and no Montpellier. Bearing in mind its a BTL he won't be living there himself. Do people from tallaght rent in theses areas etc what are they like. Prices seem lower than else where in Tallaght...

Apologies sundale

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It's one of the worst areas in Tallaght.

Basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

Spoke to a friend from sundale today. Their house was broken into this week as were 8 other houses on the same road. Not a nice part of Tallaght at all.

I figured as such with the price. Will pass this on to him. Thankso

Advertisement