Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gov spent 300k on Riot Gear for Army - expecting Riots??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Eeeeeeverybody's heard about the bird.. B b b bird bird bird, bird is the word.

And so on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

As the title suggest the Army are getting 300 k worth of new equipment for tackling riots that are expected to hit Ireland in the coming months / years

type this into google : irish army training for riots

Links : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/8364300000-spent-on-irish-army-riot-kit-1943964.html

http://www.politics.ie/defence/118535-irish-army-tooled-up-civil-unrest.html

Of course they are denying it saying it's for abroad and also to replace their old rioting equipment. I think it's hilarious the gov are cutting back everywhere but are buying new riot gear for the army

what does everyone think about this?

I mean if Fiana Fail expect it, let's do it

Lets fall in love? :p

I read here also that a lot of garda have being getting trained up as well

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

You do know how much they pay Brian Cowen right?

Least we've 300grand of riot gear to show for this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Do recall reading something similar last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Hope they have them nicely washed and ironed for December 9th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Of course they're expecting rioting. It's only a matter of time until some idiots decide to start burning down government buildings and so on because they're fully sure that's the only way out of this hole we're in. Tbh 300 grand is pale in comparison to what it will cost us if people do start to riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Do recall reading something similar last year...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055742171&highlight=army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, did you spot the articles are from 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Asked if the equipment was being procured to cope with large-scale public demonstrations over government cutbacks and policies a Defence Forces spokesman said: "No. It's being bought to replace existing stocks."
    They're just replacing old equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Of course they're expecting rioting. It's only a matter of time until some idiots decide to start burning down government buildings and so on because they're fully sure that's the only way out of this hole we're in. Tbh 300 grand is pale in comparison to what it will cost us if people do start to riot.

If the Army or Gardai are prepared to kill the public to maintain a Government without a Democratic mandate then I will fight and I know I will not be alone. We are facing a massive crisis last seen in 1920.

We the citizens have a duty to overthrow the Government and if they will not go peacefully then force must be used, if it means starting a Civil war between the people and Irish Army and Gardai then so be it. It would not be the first time in Irish History that Fianna Fail and their descendants brought Irish men to kill each other.

Fianna Fail forefathers the anti-treatyites caused the Irish Civil War and were sharply dealt with by the Freestate (Fine Gael). The Ballyseedy massacre outside Tralee saw Eight IRA men tied to a pole and blown to smithereens by the Freestate, this sent a warning to the IRA and the exact same thing needs to be done to Fianna Fail again in modern times.

Kill them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

sy, didn't realise there was already another thread on this
    may as well delete it

just thought the people should know we have money for riot gear while cutting back everywhere else and all you can do really is laugh

coz if I don't laugh, i'll cry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think it's hilarious the gov are cutting back everywhere but are buying new riot gear for the army

Not exactly something one would be able to acquire in the Bargain Basement at Arnotts ya know...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

*awaits inevitable and unimaginative news report backed by Kaiser Chiefs' "I Predict A Riot."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Stinicker wrote: »
    If the Army or Gardai are prepared to kill the public to maintain a Government without a Democratic mandate then I will fight and I know I will not be alone. We are facing a massive crisis last seen in 1920.

We the citizens have a duty to overthrow the Government and if they will not go peacefully then force must be used, if it means starting a Civil war between the people and Irish Army and Gardai then so be it. It would not be the first time in Irish History that Fianna Fail and their descendants brought Irish men to kill each other.

Fianna Fail forefathers the anti-treatyites caused the Irish Civil War and were sharply dealt with by the Freestate (Fine Gael). The Ballyseedy massacre outside Tralee saw Eight IRA men tied to a pole and blown to smithereens by the Freestate, this sent a warning to the IRA and the exact same thing needs to be done to Fianna Fail again in modern times.

Kill them all.
    What a load of rubbish. FF have a mandate ffs.

Not exactly something one would be able to acquire in the Bargain Basement at Arnotts ya know...
    They could go to the fancy dress shop and dress as legionaries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. FF have a mandate ffs.

They don't have a mandate actually as they are refusing to hold three crucial By-Elections which would give the opposition the numbers to outvote them in the Dail. Fianna Fail are now no different to your nick.

They don't have a mandate actually as they are refusing to hold three crucial By-Elections which would give the opposition the numbers to outvote them in the Dail. Fianna Fail are now no different to your nick.
    Ah, bring Bobby Sands into it? Pretty sure he won a by election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Firstly, the article is from November 2009. Secondly this equipment is to replace already existing equipment. The Defence Forces has been training in anti-riot for many years.

You will recall that they were on stand-by for the May Day riots in 2006, and also they were right behind the Gardai line in the riots in Dublin in 1972, just to give 2 examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Ah, bring Bobby Sands into it? Pretty sure he won a by election.

He ment your boards nickname

BluesBerry wrote: »
    He ment your boards nickname
    Oh right, my bad, thought he said sig.

TBH thats even more ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

testicle wrote: »
    Firstly, the article is from November 2009. Secondly this equipment is to replace already existing equipment. The Defence Forces has been training in anti-riot for many years.

You will recall that they were on stand-by for the May Day riots in 2006, and also they were right behind the Gardai line in the riots in Dublin in 1972, just to give 2 examples.

I know I read the article, to replace existing equipment... still though to purchase 300k of it in these times we are in says something

2 perfectly good examples........37 years apart tho.

Again the fact they were purchased recently says something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kill them all.

Overthrowing the current wasters isn't going to mean that we're in a better off position any sooner than we would be by just waiting for a GE. A revolt would be the final nail in Ireland's coffin as far as international interests go. We're not the same old isolationist country that we once were.. and it's not just us who stand to gain or lose from rising against our leaders. We'd lose whatever trace of stability we have left, and the IMF would be straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Kill them all.

What the freestate done to the eight members of the IRA was disgraceful, and not a proud moment for our country. Just because they didn’t support the treaty does not mean they deserved to be brutally murdered (one survived as far as im aware). They were just doing englands dirty work really with how they treated the IRA then.

Back on topic though, its an old article as people have stated, and unfortunately FF do have a mandate as they have been elected until 2012. It would be nice if they would do the decent thing and call a general election as they have lost any trust we had in them. Im not a FF supporter, im just stating facts as i see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

irish people are too lazy and apathetic to riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Lemegeton wrote: »

I'd be embarrassed by my country if there were riots. Riots would only make things far worse. You only have to look and see the aftermath of the Greek and Icelandic riots to know that. Anyone who thinks rioting is a good idea is just someone who wants to make themselves feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

As the title suggest the Army are getting 300 k worth of new equipment for tackling riots that are expected to hit Ireland in the coming months / years

type this into google : irish army training for riots

Links : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/8364300000-spent-on-irish-army-riot-kit-1943964.html

http://www.politics.ie/defence/118535-irish-army-tooled-up-civil-unrest.html

Of course they are denying it saying it's for abroad and also to replace their old rioting equipment. I think it's hilarious the gov are cutting back everywhere but are buying new riot gear for the army

what does everyone think about this?

I mean if Fiana Fail expect it, let's do it

Well if you seen and know the military equipment you would no that it ageing equipment thats why thay bougth new aircraft they are currently purchasing two new long distance patrol boats and also the new RG-32M's to revamp the miltary as a hole.

Gardai are well trained organisation to deal with such issues i.e. may day riots were over within three hours clearly they are able to deal with such situations.

Futhermore if you noticed that emegency services has also been awarded with funding to get new equipment multi story laddered fire tenders and new tankers and water bowsers in need off flooding.
    Ambulances have the new faster more reliabe merceders sprinters.

Gardai have recently got new volvos for rsu and new equipment for eru and are currently oredering new patrol vechiles.

So look at it as hole very view will you's stop thinking its going to end up a military agenda to go out to help the gardai because they can't handle riots its what there job is deal with the public in mass on by little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

When the riots start we should take a few lessons from the French. They don't give the police the opportunity to hammer them on main street, they take the protests out to the suburbs, setting up several road blocks by burning vehicles to stop the police moving around, set fire to public buildings to make their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kind of reminds me of that cat burglar episode of The Simpsons where Homer and the rest of the village idiots try to dig themselves out of the hole. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Once the social welfare is cut in any significant way there'll be riots.
    There's been a lot of gloomy stories about the economy in the news but there's been no real poverty yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Lemegeton wrote: »

Or too busy discussing the Civil War.

Advertisement