Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid public places in Europe

Options
  • 02-10-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

The Obama administration is to issue a warning to US citizens to avoid public places in Europe, it is is believed that a terrorist attack is imminent.

So says Sky News.

Last week the talk was about Mumbai style attacks in Europe. I wonder if this is what is expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Linky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Min wrote: »
    The Obama administration is to issue a warning to US citizens to avoid public places in Europe, it is is believed that a terrorist attack is imminent.

So says Sky News.

Last week the talk was about Mumbai style attacks in Europe. I wonder if this is what is expected.

Aye. Or something like that attack on tourists at the Temple in Egypt some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

McDougal is going to grow a pair and get out behind his computer and join the Taliban/ Al Queada, spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I saw that on the Sky News rolling news banner earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Caco wrote: »
    Linky?
    The Obama administration is considering a broad warning for U.S. citizens to avoid public places in Europe due to new al Qaeda threats, U.S. and European officials told The Associated Press on Saturday.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/02/world/main6921445.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm in a public place right now, and I don't see any terrorists.

Wait.

Nope, just nordies.

Obama, you can reign in your threat level, tis just a bunch of Fermanagh people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hype or not who knows? But the way these nut jobs often work, correlating numbers seem to attract them. So I'd be watching a date like 10.10.10 for example. More likely to be bullsh1te hype though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

ffs, why don't they curl up under the blankets altogether. This response is exactly what the terrorists want, you'd have more chance of been killed by a bar of soap in the shower then by a terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Could they not be a bit more specific? What next, be careful while travelling in the southern hemisphere? Is this the best their "intelligence" can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

These things are so vague as to be useless. Anybody in a major city in the US, Europe, India, and SE Asia is potentially at risk for a terror attack. So we can all stay at home, or just get the **** on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Did they issue a threat when Oklahoma was bombed?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

gurramok wrote: »

Yeah, I would think that the domestic terror threat is quite high at the moment. But it's hard to issue an alert cautioning Americans to avoid "angry 50-year old white males".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Dam, got a us passport. Cant leave the house now. dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,682 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds like perhaps they would target US embassies or places/landmarks US citizens would gather around? That seems to be the article's unwritten hypothesis.
    gurramok wrote: »
    Did they know about McVeigh's plan?

In the aftermath of that event, security has gotten much better, and plenty of similar attempted attacks have been thwarted, with one glaring exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A European official briefed on the talks said the language in the U.S. alert is expected to be vague. It won't address a specific country or specific landmarks, the official said.

European and U.S. officials have not identified any specific targets that terrorists might be considering, the official said. Officials have called the threat credible but not specific.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

only the cool kids get to know when stuff is about to go down. i hate this playground hierarchy.

amacachi wrote: »
    Why?
    Read the article in full. Sounds like they uncovered some intel sourced out of Pakistan or somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

So says Sky News.

How about the farmers' market in Castlebar on Saturdays, is that safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Can I go to Spar? :confused:

We've been warned of a possible attack tomorrow by the RIRA, targeting the Tory conference. It better happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

While the government cannot stop people from traveling there or force them to return home, a warning could result in canceled airline and hotel bookings as well as deter non-U.S. travelers from going to Europe. In addition, many U.S. college and university study-abroad programs will not send students to countries for which a warning is in place for insurance and liability reasons.

Well I guess that's a plus, I won't have to put with some airhead rich snobs wandering around campus like zombies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The Administration just likes to keep people afraid....

The Administration just likes to keep people afraid....
    Nah. This is not the same "Terror Alert" Administration. I don't think this white house would have issued this type of warning unless it were credible and noteworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Overheal wrote: »
    Read the article in full. Sounds like they uncovered some intel sourced out of Pakistan or somewhere.

Yeah I just don't really see the point of releasing information like that, assuming it's true.

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah I just don't really see the point of releasing information like that, assuming it's true.
    Because again from the sound of it, they had to release the information to Officials/Diplomats about a credible security threat, and as a direct result under some "No Double Standard" rule which is news to me, this triggered a notice to the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Islam the Religion of Peace. The Dutch and French have recently banned the Burka, no doubt it is in response to that. Europe is such a tolerant, liberal and pacifist region that if they are targeted I hope the EU collectively blows the Middle East to Atoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Stinicker wrote: »
    Islam the Religion of Peace. The Dutch and French have recently banned the Burka, no doubt it is in response to that. Europe is such a tolerant, liberal and pacifist region that if they are targeted I hope the EU collectively blows the Middle East to Atoms.
    Because thats been such a winning strategy for the Americans over the last decade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Because thats been such a winning strategy for the Americans over the last decade.

And should we just bend over to every single demand from Islam then? They have no place in our continent and Islam should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Lets all have a lottery! We each pick a place that we think will be the target and if you win you get an all expense paid trip courtesy of the CIA!

I will begin with guessing,

Waterloo Station, London
    So many people go through it, its enclosed and its near the Houses of Parliament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What about everyone else?

If there's going to be a terrorist attack, I don't think the terrorists will show up, realise there are little to no American's present, and say ''fúck it, lets head to the pub instead''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,035 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stinicker wrote: »

****! Am in Belgium for two weeks! That`s me screwed...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement