Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could relive one year of your life.

Options
  • 02-10-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Was talking to a group of friends lately and this was discussed. Most said they would love to go back to when they were 17, 5th yr,just getting into clubs and havin sneaky drinks in my room before turning up to a pub with a fake i.d.
    Mine would be when i was 19. Would do anything to go back. 1st yr in college, a whole summer spent in Greece where we did nothing but drank into the morning and then managed to work in crappy waitressing jobs for 10 hours before the drinking started again. Only manageable when young!:)
    Oh to be 19 again....
    What year would you choose and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

2005 when I was 20.

Second year of college so was nicely settled but zero pressure of finals and I spent four months in Chicago getting paid to play GAA (which funded a trip to Vegas).

Unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just out of college and I spent 2 months volunteering with a wildlife foundation in Namibia.
    Best 2 months I will probably ever have and it changed my life for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Junior Cert year. What a laugh. Fancied this girl and this realised she fancied me back. The circle of friends I had at that time just clicked so well and our personalities when around each other just made every day fun. Ah, memories.

(In a less romantic note, that girl now has three kids by three different fathers. Should of been me. :()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    getting paid to play GAA
    Sceptical hat is on. Thats sounds like a pretty good deal.

I'd redo my masters year, when I met a lot of interesting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

When I was 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

thee glitz wrote: »
    Sceptical hat is on. Thats sounds like a pretty good deal.

:confused:

Why sceptical? A lot of young lads head out there for the summer, including intercounty players whose counties get knocked out of the Championship early.

You get free accomodation (the clubs own houses) and you get a cheque at the end of the summer based on how good you are.

Each club is like a little community that fundraises and gets business sponsorships to be able to pay the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Why sceptical? A lot of young lads head out there for the summer, including intercounty players whose counties get knocked out of the Championship early.

You get free accomodation (the clubs own houses) and you get a cheque at the end of the summer based on how good you are.

Each club is like a little community that fundraises and gets business sponsorships to be able to pay the players.

I would get knocked out early on purpose if that what was waiting for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

The year I was born! I'd say it was great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

probably 2008 or this year. really great circle of friends, fun times all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hope you claimed expenses too ;).

Says a lot when players can get paid in other countries but not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

'98

16 turning 17. 5th year in school. Spending the summer days playing playstation and football and the nights getting twisted! Started heading to the local pubs in big groups. Fake id's. Getting drunk after 3 pints and a sniff of whiskey.
    The benefits of childhood and adulthood with none of the drawbacks. Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Agricola wrote: »
    '98

16 turning 17. 5th year in school. Spending the summer days playing playstation and football and the nights getting twisted! Started heading to the local pubs in big groups. Fake id's. Getting drunk after 3 pints and a sniff of whiskey.
    The benefits of childhood and adulthood with none of the drawbacks. Great.

Ah yes and vommitting after 5 pints!!!!!... Happy days allrite..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Sounds great. I misinterpreted that and thought you meant as a salaried position.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Ah yes and vommitting after 5 pints!!!!!... Happy days allrite..:)

I still do that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I would relive the year between September 2009 and September 2010. I'd make sure not to fcuk up college by getting help earlier than I did. I'd also make sure not to get beaten up and robbed in January. :(

Also, I'd get to relive trips to London, Geneva and Electric Picnic. And relive a very special moment in June where my life began to change for the better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Just seemed a great year for me, my circle of friends was a lot more close than it is now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wouldn't have started my M.Phil degree and instead would have entered the work force when there were actually jobs around the place. Instead I finished last year and have been pissing about in part time retail since. Fcuk You Biffo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

2003. Gave up a job to finish college. Waste of time. Hell of a year though.

SeaFields wrote: »

I wouldn't have started my M.Phil degree and instead would have entered the work force when there were actually jobs around the place. Instead I finished last year and have been pissing about in part time retail since. Fcuk You Biffo.

Isnt part-time retail the natural career path after a philosophy degree though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Agricola wrote: »
    Isnt part-time retail the natural career path after a philosophy degree though! ;)

Eh...stick "M.Phil degree" into wikipedia....;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe when I was 16-17... 2nd-3rd year uni, no stress of finals and having fun.
    Honestly though there isn't a particular year I would like to go back to, I like things as they are

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

And relive a very special moment in June where my life began to change for the better. :)
    Pubic hair appeared or masturbation discovered? Or was it to do with XBOX live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Your right there! My brother in law goes to NYC and Boston every year to play GAA and all accomadation is paid for! Himself and my sister just bring spending money! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

1958. Happy times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It would have to be 1969 for me. I was young and restless, just killin' time. I spent my evenin's down at the drive in. That was the summer when I got my first real six-string. Bought it at the five-and-dime and played 'til my fingers bled.
    Those were the best days of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

2013. It will have been such a great year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can't narrow it down to just one year. 2001 to 2005 was pretty rockin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

2001 -'working' on a cruise ship, seeing the world, lots of loving, lots of money.

highly recommended...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Pubic hair appeared or masturbation discovered? Or was it to do with XBOX live?

Yes, yes and yes. All three at the same time was a very nice sequence of events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mikom wrote: »
    It would have to be 1969 for me. I was young and restless, just killin' time. I spent my evenin's down at the drive in. That was the summer when I got my first real six-string. Bought it at the five-and-dime and played 'til my fingers bled.
    Those were the best days of my life

Dunno about that. I thought it was just another year with nothing to do.

Advertisement