Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racial Equality

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I kind of understand how he feels.

We don't need corporate institutions to lecture us about racial awareness, and some of the campaigns, however well meaning, can have a very negative result.

Let them lead by example, not through advertising.
    Fair enough. I agree. Nobody's asking him to hug anyone though. No-one's asking to be hugged. At least, not after that.:D It's shouldn't really be that big a deal unless, of course, you were a bit of a xenophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe he wants to hug a large African fellow, but feels guilty about it unless he's forced to.....I understand theres clubs for that sort of thing these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Nodin wrote: »
    1 he talked about robin hood, which is set after one of the crusades so 10th 11th century.

2 my post i was trying to show the social stats, yes there were coloured men etc... in england, brought there by the romans (Sarmatian horsemen)...vikings... saxons... etc...., but most if not all held no power and were slaves (pre 1807)

so, yes they could have a coloured man in the films etc... but when they make him a lord or a captain of an army etc... this is wrong of the social standards of the time.

(waits for a wikipedia link of a coloured westren european lord/lady, general, but NOT an ambassador)

I personally have more resentment of political corectness, than I have of people of any race. especially when it comes to history, the past is the past and what happened, happened. it shouldnt be pasted over in modern films or books. history is history good or bad. slavery happened and was stopped, coloured people, women and even diffrent religions were oppresed, it wasnt a good thing or a thing of the modern day but it did happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Mousey- wrote: »
    I personally have more resentment of political corectness, than I have of people of any race.

Would that be just when it's gone mad, or in its standard form?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I didint mean my original post to come across as racist- far from it in fact. I have absolutely nothing against any race, its just these advertisements that bug me. They just seem kind of patronising and telling us all to be friends. And a lot of ads out there at the minute (ones that arent even about racial awareness) are clearly just sticking in a minority person for the sake of it.--kind of like a "ooh look at me I'm all fairtrade!"
    Lets face it, a racist person isnt gonna change his views because of an ad on the back of a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

strobe wrote: »
    Stool Borey Co

OLD MEME BRO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Would that be just when it's gone mad, or in its standard form?
    crazy form , example, i call somone a b!tch it can be said that im commiting sexual oppresion or harrasment as its a phrase only used on women, where as if i tell her to feck of its not. or hiring a whiteman over a blackman nad getting called a racist.

i dont view myself as a racist, but i do hate all this crazy political corectness bull****. (especially in historical media as shown in previous posts)

obviously some political corectness is needed, otherwise you'd have right wing racist nuts doing what they want. (example BNP)

for a list of my hates go to....but seriously i also hate all that claim to gain bull****, i slipped on a wet floor at my workplace because im a ****ing idiot. i then noticed no sign and realised i had a case against my employer of 5 years.

1 he talked about robin hood, which is set after one of the crusades so 10th 11th century.

Alrighty
    What we can deduce further about this man from the evidence is that he was probably a trader. Ipswich was a port and it is likely that, given his foreign birth, he was involved in the shipping of materials or minerals of some sort.
    The Crusades(inline-face_09.png?1265851550)had sent Christian men from England to reclaim the Holy Land from Muslims, but one of the results of this was that more trade routes were opened up with the Muslim-dominated Eastern Mediterranean and North Africa.
    This man’s presence in Ipswich could well have been as a consequence of that. This man was not poor - a poor man would never have been buried in a single grave in an important part of the friary, as he was.
    The poor would have been buried in common graves.
    And it is most likely that he would have had to pay for his treatment at the friary.
    Sometimes wealthier people at the time would actually invest in a local friary in the knowledge that the friary would look after them when they fell ill and bury them when they died.
    http://gopak.co.cc/daily-news/he-was-an-african-who-had-a-strong-jaw-and-a-bad-back-so-what-was-he-doing-in-ipswich-in-the-year-1190/
    I personally have more resentment of political corectness, than I have of people of any race. especially when it comes to history, the past is the past and what happened, happened. it shouldnt be pasted over in modern films or books. history is history good or bad. slavery happened and was stopped, coloured people, women and even diffrent religions were oppresed, it wasnt a good thing or a thing of the modern day but it did happen.

Mel Gibsons "the patriot" being a splendid example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nodin wrote: »

That's pretty cool thanks!
    I thought it was just PCness!

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's pretty cool thanks!
    I thought it was just PCness!

Nope. Just ignored. And unfortunately its not a phenomena limited to those times either.
    http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/india_and_world_war_one.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I kind of understand how he feels.

We don't need corporate institutions to lecture us about racial awareness, and some of the campaigns, however well meaning, can have a very negative result.

Let them lead by example, not through advertising.

I think you need you need to separate 'you' the person walking down the street from 'The people who shout "Go Back to Your Own Country' at people who rightfully (note rightfully) reside here, because of the colour of their skin.

While the OP may not need to be told that black people or foreigners are people too, there's definitely a relatively large group of ****heads who do need to be told.

Advertisement