Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racial Equality

Options
  • 02-10-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or is "racial equality" being forced down our throats lately??
    I'm in no way racist and am all for equality but it seems that everywhere you turn theres a new ad campaign "highlighting racial awareness" or some shíte like that.
    Or in every advertisment nowadays there's always a token black person or some guy in a turban with a big cheesy grin on his face shaking hands with a white guy.
    There's a new ad campaign on all Dublin Bus shelters at the minute and every one of them is a picture of some "ethnic minority"
    Yes yes, we all know Ireland is a multi-cultural society and welcomes everybody with equal opportunities blah blah blah, I have a dream, blah blah blah.....but do we really need to have these ad campaigns constantly shoved in our faces all the time?? :confused: I just want one day where I don't have somebody tell me to make friends with a muslim, or hug a buddhist or some shít.

Sorry its just something thats been bugging me for a while now.

/RANT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Stool Borey Co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'm in no way racist and am all for equality but it seems that everywhere you turn theres a new ad campaign "highlighting racial awareness" or some shíte like that.
    Or in every advertisment nowadays there's always a token black person or some guy in a turban with a big cheesy grin on his face shaking hands with a white guy.
    There's a new ad campaign on all Dublin Bus shelters at the minute and every one of them is a picture of some "ethnic minority"
    Yes yes, we all know Ireland is a multi-cultural society and welcomes everybody with equal opportunities blah blah blah, I have a dream, blah blah blah.....but do we really need to have these ad campaigns constantly shoved in our faces all the time?? :confused: I just want one day where I don't have somebody tell me to make friends with a muslim, or hug a buddhist or some shít.

/RANT

That really isn't any clue as to how this thread is going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,656 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stormfront servers temporarily down or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm in no way racist but

Uh huh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Muslim people don't use buses too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully" ...GW Bush

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

They take the halal-o-craft.

I'll get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

why mention muslims?

never mind just seen it in the ops post, i was thinking it was something to do with some muslim and bus related incident i hadnt heard about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

o1s1n wrote: »
    Stormfront servers temporarily down or something?

Sh*t, everytime I was the car a fvcking stormfront comes over.. bollox :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Anyone who isn't a racist has simply never been in a cinema full of black people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't mind the examples cited in the OP, but I do get pissed off by the muppets on the other side who like to invent/see racism in every little thing. They are the reason the ads have to be like they are, because if they weren't some twat would read racism into everything. That's where the real issue lies tbh, a certain subset of society foaming at the mouth desperate to cry racism, xenophobia etc imagined a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Anyone who isn't a racist has simply never been in a cinema full of black people.

I'm guessing like me you pay an American black woman to check everything before you do it and shouts "Don't go in there!" when an unsavoury situation may unfold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nope, they get the free Islamocars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I remember watching the Apprentice, the one with Alan Sugar

Watch it sometime, there will always be a black and asian candidate, always.
    Well if that's a large demographic in the UK so fair enough.

In Series 1, Saira Khan who was an incredibly confident person and made it to the final even called herself a token candidate.

The OP made a point, why does posters jump in and not even discuss it or not even read it like this

OP, you probably should have started this thread in Humanities

Which would suggest that she was the only ethnic minority candidate(hate that expression-she is English by the way) in that series, which she wasn't, so how can she be a token candidate? Remember Tim(who won) and Raj(who got to the latter stages)? Maybe she was referring to the fact that she was a woman?

I remember watching the Apprentice, the one with Alan Sugar

Watch it sometime, there will always be a black and asian candidate, always.
    Well if that's a large demographic in the UK so fair enough.

In Series 1, Saira Khan who was an incredibly confident person and made it to the final even called herself a token candidate.

The OP made a point, why does posters jump in and not even discuss it or not even read it like this

OP, you probably should have started this thread in Humanities

Alan Sugars Jewish. Does that mean he's token too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nodin wrote: »
    Alan Sugars Jewish. Does that mean he's token too?

James Max who made it to the semi final is also Jewish

OPENROAD wrote: »
    James Max who made it to the semi final is also Jewish

....two token Jews???? Well holy jaysus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Social Disorder

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm guessing like me you pay an American black woman to check everything before you do it and shouts "Don't go in there!" when an unsavoury situation may unfold?

You pay her fairly I assume :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There are so many minorities at my water park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

You're only noticing this recently?!? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

"I'm not racist, but..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

the thing i really hate about all this sexual/ racial equality is when they put it in historical films which also have modern day political corectness.
    these were days when there was no such thing as war crimes, women were second class citizens and most coloured people in westren europe were slaves

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mousey- wrote: »
    the thing i really hate about all this sexual/ racial equality is when they put it in historical films which also have modern day political corectness.
    these were days when there was no such thing as war crimes, women were second class citizens and most coloured people in westren europe were slaves

Like when they had a black 20 year old as some kinda reverend mother in a robin hood ep? :D
    I know nobody sees the difference now but geez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

bluewolf wrote: »
    Like when they had a black 20 year old as some kinda reverend mother in a robin hood ep? :D

like in the new robin hood with russel crow
    when the kids that stole the grain arent beaten to a pulp when they are found
    or in hamlet which is set in the 1600s in denmark, and has several coloured people in prominent positions (danish envoys, generals, lords and ladys )

they are just two that spring to mind as i seen them recently

bluewolf wrote: »
    African blood has run through British veins since at least the 18th century and perhaps since Roman times, a study suggests.
    A set of typically West African genes has been found in seven white British men who share the same rare surname, allowing scientists to trace an African heritage that none had any idea he shared.
    The African Y chromosome — the packet of genetic material passed down through the male line — probably originated from a man from Senegal or Guinea-Bissau who lived in Yorkshire in the early 18th century and was inherited by his male descendants.
    It is even possible that the line goes back farther still, to Roman soldiers from North Africa posted to Hadrian’s Wall 1,800 years ago. This “division of Moors”, which included the earliest known Africans in Britain, included recruits from what is now Morocco
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1295724.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

/RANT

Does the true word of Equality actually even exist? I mean, real equality. Everyone being equal? Nope, its doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

There were black people in Britain before the English.

Astonishing but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

/RANT

Jeez that's f#ckin awful man.. I don't know how you cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think you're right OP. These forced racial equality ethics have got me soooo angry. Sometimes I think that all the racially pure white Irish people should just get together and, with help from the authorities, put all the none-white, English and Eastern Europeans (who are living in Ireland) and all the racially impure population into a massive concentration camp somewhere in Mayo. We should enslave them and make them build a large array of gas chambers and crematoriums adjacent to the camp. After that we should shove them all in them and gas them to hell and burn their bodies in the crematoriums. Then in the end we'll drop their ashes over Wales.

*attempt at comedy fails epically and realises tastelessness, walks away slowly*

I do think we should ban the burka though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Johro wrote: »
    Jeez that's f#ckin awful man.. I don't know how you cope.

I kind of understand how he feels.

We don't need corporate institutions to lecture us about racial awareness, and some of the campaigns, however well meaning, can have a very negative result.

Let them lead by example, not through advertising.

Advertisement