Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult would it be to take over the country ?

Options
  • 02-10-2010 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

How much resistance would an invader expect to find from our defence forces or the Gardai ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Try it there and find out.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Its the pensioners I be scared of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Try it there and find out.
    Let us know how you get on.

I'll know where to find you anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Not tonight Brain.......

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

We work in subtle ways...

Have a few pints with them, let them lust after our women. We soon make them learn the errors of their ways. Rather than invade us they'll want to become us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Who do you think poses a particular threat at the moment?

Why would they bother?

How long would we last though?
    A couple of hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just get 35 billion and buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Flygimp

The Garde can't shutdown a few feuding hill-billy families in ghetto Limerick with drive by pop guns - so don't hold your breath boss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Don't why any country would want to take over Ireland. Unless they wanted to take over the UK using Ireland as a back door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

You wouldn't get very much trouble from the Irish Army, not to sell the army short or anything but there just wouldn't be the manpower. Then you've got the Gardaí who aren't armed (for the most part).

On the other hand we're part of the EU, so yeah, we'd be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'll know where to find you anyway :D

:eek: Stalker alert!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

As a member of the EU, it would be a first being invaded by anyone.
    I don't see it happening myself.

The rise of guerilla warfare has made invading easy, but living in a country difficult. Foreign soldiers and police need to live, eay and drink on weekends which makes them an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It would be easy enough, just kill the cabinet all at once, have enough people willing to kill and die for your cause and you can do it. The defence forces wouldn't put up a huge fight I would think for a coup, for an all out war they'd fight, but an incursion wouldn't be hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just say for craic sake, the Brits.. A few hours. The yanks - a few minutes.

The Vatican guard, maybe a half a day.

Martians, seconds since we don't have an airforce or air defence system worth a fiddlers fuck.

And a half decent cross channel swimmer would give our navy a headache :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Junkies have managed to take over many areas of the country's capital city, so I'd imagine armed forces would have the whole island licked in about twenty-five mintues.

So basically our defence forces arent worth a fiddlers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Someone might invade the country easily enough, but they still wouldn't get into coppers with runners on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Easiest thing would be for our own army to stage a coup. If you'd be serious about taking over then you don't want a struggle, you want to keep as much infrastructure as already exists. I think out of the other countries in the world the amount that couldn't take us would be in the minority. We're a small nuetral island on the edge of the Atlantic.

If we were invaded by France , who would come to our aid ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Just say for craic sake, the Brits.. A few hours. The yanks - a few minutes.

The Vatican guard, maybe a half a day.

Martians, seconds since we don't have an airforce or air defence system worth a fiddlers fuck.

And a half decent cross channel swimmer would give our navy a headache :(

Yo. Josue Fluffy Asteroid... is that a swastika tattoo on your avatar pic? & if so, is it an ironic one...? ...or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yo. Makikomi... is that a swastika tattoo on your avatar pic? & if so, is it an ironic one...? ...or?

Explain?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

why would anyone want to take over ireland? it'd be more of a renovating project (let's fix the economy, guys!) than a command and conquer sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

What kinda of idiotic invasion force would WANT to run the country??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

This is a fishing thread. Do not bite;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

How much resistance would an invader expect to find from our defence forces or the Gardai ?
    I would think they'd say: 'Here, take it, it's f#cked anyway.'

davrho wrote: »

Agreed.

Soc>Military>Walter Mitty ---->thataway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Fishing for what??? Sprats? Or Prats???

Our defence forces couldn't defend us against an angry granny, 1/2 would be on leave, 1/4 would be out sick and the rest would want overtime for active service, or no dice.

• Advertisement

davrho wrote: »

Thats prats

Anyway, I guess the apethetic response of the people to the economic crisis would suggest that not only would an invader face little resistance from our military, but that the Irish people wouldnt give a **** either

Advertisement