Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Best Dublin City pub to watch Rugby in?*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

19543261 wrote: »
    Kielys is terrible.

Ah I wouldn't say that at all. I've always had a soft spot for Kielys having worked almost next door for a number of years. It's a decent spot to go pre-game if you want some pub grub and a pint or two as you should be able to find a table and get comfortable while still being reasonably close to the stadium. I'd always head in there after work on a Friday if there's a game on the the RDS that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm going to piggy back on this. Heading to the game Saturday with a few friends, looking for somewhere near the aviva for pre-match pints during the day,

Gingerman on Fenian Street. Nice food and a decent selection of booze including Franciscan Well beers!
    It's only about 15mins stroll to the stadium from there (slightly longr if you're in the South Stand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

'It's a basement bar which I don't really like in the middle of the afternoon, particularly since it's supposed to be a nice day...'

? ? ? ?

If you're in the pub, you're in the pub.

Personally I don't understand why pubs even have windows.

Btw, my vote goes to Searson's for match, then the 51 for immediate after-match, then Doheny's for late after-match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

For Paws wrote: »
    'It's a basement bar which I don't really like in the middle of the afternoon, particularly since it's supposed to be a nice day...'

? ? ? ?

If you're in the pub, you're in the pub.

Personally I don't understand why pubs even have windows.

Btw, my vote goes to Searson's for match, then the 51 for immediate after-match, then Doheny's for late after-match.

In mye experience there's nothing worse than coming out a dark pub in the middle of the day after a few pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In mye experience there's nothing worse than coming out a dark pub in the middle of the day after a few pints!

Stay till it gets dark outside so, everyones a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

First world problems!

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Searsons will be packed to the tits after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

19543261 wrote: »
    Kielys is terrible.

I love Kielys. Good lay out, usually plenty of space even on a busy day, plenty of screens, comfy seats, open fires, great grub and a fairly decent pint selection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Generally show sawkerball ahead of rugby though if there's a big game on, so may be worthwhile checking the listings for Sat.

The good news on that front is that because it's also an international window in football this weekend, and the football internationals are played Friday, there's practical no top tier football on TV on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

O Reilly's, mulligans or the Sandymount inn I think it's called. All in Sandymount village and about a 10/15 minute walk from the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kiely's is grand but not the same since they got rid of the Harp tap. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

TitoPuente wrote: »
    Slattery's on Haddington Road without a doubt. Great boozer and the manager loves to talk rugby. The plasma screen upstairs is great too.

Meh full of the leinstertainment brigade, bath is better craic I think

awec wrote: »
    Kiely's is grand but not the same since they got rid of the Harp tap. ;)

Their hands were tied, Health & Safety were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

usersame wrote: »
    Meh full of the leinstertainment brigade, bath is better craic I think

If you were looking for a pub in which to avoid "the Leinstertainment brigade", I can't think of a worse suggestion than the Bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Plus Slatterys have long been considered the enemy on Leinsterfans by some of the most regular posters. It will be jammed as per any pub near the ground but I certainly wouldn't associate them with being the focus of Leinster support.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dingbat

Am a regular in both Slats and the Bath.

The big plus with Slattery's is their big screen in the main bar which is blindingly good quality. They've also opened their new back bar last week which has eased the congestion somewhat (no TVs in the back bar). Not a place to arrive hungry - might get a few bowls of greasy stuff passed over from the chipper if you're lucky but that's it. Bar staff are efficient. Manager is a love/hate kind of character. Personally I get on great with him; one of my best mates does *not* get on with him. Such is life. Say what you like about the man he knows how to get the business in.

The Bath gets a slightly different crowd, usually. Bar staff slightly less efficient than Slats but lounge staff generally very easy on the eye. Foodwise can get pizzas delivered from Base. Lots of smaller screens. Know the manager well here too. A more "relaxed" atmosphere than Slats.

Beggar's Bush isn't great for watching a game but for a cheap pre/post match pint it can't be beat.

Sandymount have a few pubs that are decent for catching a game.

A little gem in that area is The Vintage. From Slats head up Bath Avenue over the bridge and hang a quick left at the Garda station. Cracking little boozer and a great, cheap pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Nothing worse? Anything work-associated is worse.

I'll walk out a dark pub all day long in the sunshine if it means not working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

dingbat wrote: »
    Am a regular in both Slats and the Bath.

The big plus with Slattery's is their big screen in the main bar which is blindingly good quality. They've also opened their new back bar last week which has eased the congestion somewhat (no TVs in the back bar). Not a place to arrive hungry - might get a few bowls of greasy stuff passed over from the chipper if you're lucky but that's it. Bar staff are efficient. Manager is a love/hate kind of character. Personally I get on great with him; one of my best mates does *not* get on with him. Such is life. Say what you like about the man he knows how to get the business in.

The Bath gets a slightly different crowd, usually. Bar staff slightly less efficient than Slats but lounge staff generally very easy on the eye. Foodwise can get pizzas delivered from Base. Lots of smaller screens. Know the manager well here too. A more "relaxed" atmosphere than Slats.

Beggar's Bush isn't great for watching a game but for a cheap pre/post match pint it can't be beat.

Sandymount have a few pubs that are decent for catching a game.

A little gem in that area is The Vintage. From Slats head up Bath Avenue over the bridge and hang a quick left at the Garda station. Cracking little boozer and a great, cheap pint.

Slatterys bar manager is definitely more of a hate type of character.
    Wouldn't exactly endear you to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Any new pubs to add to this list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Sinnot's under Stephen's Green shopping centre

The Camden on Camden Street

Bleeding Horse on Camden Street

Upstairs in the Bull & Castle at Christchurch used to be great but I'm not sure if they still show matches or has it gone fully to restaurant

Searson's on Baggot St

Toner's beer garden on Baggot St

Rody Boland's in Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Camden is really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Watched the SA game in Slattery’s and it was excellent. Loads of TV’s through out the pub and great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It has that horrible walls coming in at you vibe, not helped by always being absolutely mobbed. I've never understood the grà for that place.

The Bath is decent for being close to the stadium, nice outdoor area and doesn't get as jammed as the two up the road on the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Smyths bar on Haddington road is a great spot to watch some rugby and has a great pint of Guinness.

Decent outdoor area with a screen too if the weather is nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I'd much prefer Smyths across the road from the 51 personally, I'm very fond of their Guinness and it is more of Rugby vibe I think.

Advertisement