Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Best Dublin City pub to watch Rugby in?*

Options
  • 01-10-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Currently having a Debate with some mates about this one.

What are peoples opinions on the best Dublin city centre pub to watch rugby in? (internationals/magners etc..).
    Loud commentry & a good atmosphere are a must!

With the intoduction of tickets prices you could choke on for the Aviva stadium this is an increasingly important question!

Some suggestions thrown out so far include:

Synotts - under stephensgreen shopping centre
    Kielys - Donnybrook
    The Old Stand (tvs are small but the guinness is good)
    O'Neils - Suffolk street (lots of screens but also lots of tourists)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Harry Byrnes
    Donehy & Nesbitt
    Synotts

or best suggestion, your local rugby club...my club clontarf have giant screen & great guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

The Fleet ain't bad either, small tv's but great atmosphere.

Sinnotts & Donny & Nesbitts are two of the best ones. Rodys in Rathmines (not technically in city centre I know) is good as well, great pub, good atmosphere and really good food as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I watched a couple of Six Nation games in Searsons on Baggot Street, was decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

For aprés match pints Donohues is one of the best. We've had some amazing nights in there after 6 nations games. Opposition fans go there as well so always a deadly atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

the woolshed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

the woolshed

lol when I saw that you had replied I KNEW you were going to say the woolshed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Tis true though, Woolshed is a great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Woolshed's ok. Not great though. :pac:

Kiely's is always good for Leinster games. Less so for Ireland games, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Slattery's on Haddington Road without a doubt. Great boozer and the manager loves to talk rugby. The plasma screen upstairs is great too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

TheTMO wrote: »
    lol when I saw that you had replied I KNEW you were going to say the woolshed.
    good to see ive built up a fanbase:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

wixfjord wrote: »
    Tis true though, Woolshed is a great pub.

Woolshed is a dangerous pub! All the sport and spicy wings that a man could want and then more! It seems that whenever I get up to leave, another match starts....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Synotts hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you're from the North Kildare area, the Long Stone is far from the worst pub you could catch the game in. It isn't a rugby pub, but it's got good screens, lower population than most and it's rignt beside the bus stop.

You won't get a massive atmosphere in there by any stretch of the imagination, but for getting a nice screen to watch the game if that's all you're after, its top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CCCP1

Well lads thought id revive this thread...

I am heading down to Dublin on Saturday for the Ireland v Aus game. The plan is to come down early and head out for the earlier internationals that are on that day.

Wondering what would be the best bar to watch these games - atmosphere, big screens, pints and possbily food. If it was handy enough to get to Aviva from or even the Dart line id be happy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

CCCP1 wrote: »

I am heading down to Dublin on Saturday for the Ireland v Aus game. The plan is to come down early and head out for the earlier internationals that are on that day.

Wondering what would be the best bar to watch these games - atmosphere, big screens, pints and possbily food. If it was handy enough to get to Aviva from or even the Dart line id be happy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

Basically anywhere on Baggot St. Doheny and Nesbitts or Searsons good bets.
    Anywhere in Ballsbridge or The Bath/Slatterys around Bath Avenue.
    Not sure about the Sandymount side buy the Sandymount Hotel is supposed to be good.

Personally I like Kielys before Ireland games. Not packed, easy to get a pint but still a bit of atmosphere and the early games are guaranteed to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

Sinnotts on south king street is a cracking place for a match. The food is really good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

chupacabra wrote: »
    Sinnotts on south king street is a cracking place for a match. The food is really good too.

Generally show sawkerball ahead of rugby though if there's a big game on, so may be worthwhile checking the listings for Sat.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Be surprised if Sinnotts didn't have the game on - but you will need to get there early as it packs out.

Thanks for the great info lads. I was actually in Searsons last year after Ireland V Argentina and it was a great spot but i couldnt remember the name of it. Alcohol consumption permitting i may try to take in likes of Slatterys / Sinnots in City Centre and then make my way to Baggot St and try a few of those mentioned there a bit closer to game time. Is this realistic?

Would i need to get Bus / Dart towards Baggot St or handy enough walk *female will be present*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Thanks for the great info lads. I was actually in Searsons last year after Ireland V Argentina and it was a great spot but i couldnt remember the name of it. Alcohol consumption permitting i may try to take in likes of Slatterys / Sinnots in City Centre and then make my way to Baggot St and try a few of those mentioned there a bit closer to game time. Is this realistic?

Would i need to get Bus / Dart towards Baggot St or handy enough walk *female will be present*.

Slatterys isn't in the city centre, it's right beside the ground.

Sinnotts is grand, they have loads of screens so even if there is a soccer match on, they'll be showing the rugby as well. It's a basement bar which I don't really like in the middle of the afternoon, particularly since it's supposed to be a nice day...

I dunno, I'm always in favour of getting out towards the ground and setting up camp out there rather than hanging around town and then rushing for kick-off.

I'd recommend Slatterys or 'The 51' on Haddington Road.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. I have plenty of good spots to keep me busy before the game now.

After the game would you reccomend the same spots again or anywhere else i should head to? I like a bit of Irish music but am eager to avoid Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

rem most of aboved mentioned pubs will be wedged, just thinking of 'female will be present'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

O'Reilly's in Sandymount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Sinnotts.. Great atmosphere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I'm going to piggy back on this. Heading to the game Saturday with a few friends, looking for somewhere near the aviva for pre-match pints during the day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

I'm going to piggy back on this. Heading to the game Saturday with a few friends, looking for somewhere near the aviva for pre-match pints during the day,

We avoided the usual Slattery's last Saturday in favour of The Bath just down the road. Usually prefer Slats but was much quicker to get served at The Bath last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭LostArt

Went into the Gasworks after the game on Saturday. Wasn't too packed, lots of tv's and a big screen for France/NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd head in closer to town after the game tbh. Everywhere around the stadium tends to get pretty wedged post match and unless you're out early you'll be battling through it.

Before the game I tend to head for Beggars Bush. Get there reasonably early (and assuming it's not freezing) you can get a spot outside under the heaters and in front of the TVs. The food there is limited to big dirty steak or chicken rolls, which is perfect with a few pints. You're right beside the stadium there too so it's not a mad rush to get in.

After I'd head Baggot St direction to avoid the crowds. Searsons will probably be busy, but there's a load of pubs down towards the Stephens Green end that are a decent shout. Toners, O'Donogues or Dohney & Nesbitts. Now it's probably a 20-25 minute walk but there are a few pubs along the way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd head in closer to town after the game tbh. Everywhere around the stadium tends to get pretty wedged post match and unless you're out early you'll be battling through it.

Before the game I tend to head for Beggars Bush. Get there reasonably early (and assuming it's not freezing) you can get a spot outside under the heaters and in front of the TVs. The food there is limited to big dirty steak or chicken rolls, which is perfect with a few pints. You're right beside the stadium there too so it's not a mad rush to get in.

After I'd head Baggot St direction to avoid the crowds. Searsons will probably be busy, but there's a load of pubs down towards the Stephens Green end that are a decent shout. Toners, O'Donogues or Dohney & Nesbitts. Now it's probably a 20-25 minute walk but there are a few pubs along the way too.

Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Kielys is terrible.

Advertisement