Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Against the Grain, Wexford St, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's Heineken's :p

Woops :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

going by past form (Salthouse, Olso, The Cottage) They will probably have music now and again, but it won't be a DJ blasting music late at night. Maybe a trad session or acoustic sets and not so loud that you can't have a chat with the lad next to ya.

I wonder do they have board games?
    One of my favorite things about The Salt House is playing Jenga/Connect 4/Guess Who with mates after a few beers, way more fun that you'd think.

[edit]never mind just seen Adamski8's post.[/edit]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I had the burger on Friday and thought it was one of the best I've ever tasted in Dublin (though, in fairness, the recent gourmet burger revolution has kinda passed me by).

They own a restaurant called Mustard in Galway that serves the best burgers in the city so it's no surprise to me that ATG has good burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was in the pub last night for a few hours. Great selection of beers on tap, and a nice crowd. Too late for food unfortunately. Enjoyed the Galway Hooker and Sierra Nevada. Not so gone on the Belfast Blonde. Ordered a Bay Lager, but was given the Bay Ale. Wasn't too impressed. Found it a little sweet for my palate. Is it normally served a little warmer than other draught beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Was in there today and can't recommend them high enough ... The bar manager/owner ??? Was there and was very help full recommended a Goose Island for me which I thoroughly enjoyed. Lunch was very nice to and I was very impressed with the offer of a free baby bowl for our 9 month old which you do not see in many places .... All I can say is well done, keep up the good work and best of luck in these ugly times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

finally checked this place out the other night, and I loved it. Great beer selection... the draught Blue Moon was delicious and I also tried the Well's Banana Bread beer -SO GOOD. food was good too, and staff were really nice and chatty about the beers. and really appreciated being able to have a conversation over the music without yelling! Might be my new favourite bar in the city actually. Looking forward to going back and tasting more brews!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Will be back in Dublin next Thursday, after reading this thread I'm looking forward to trying this place out! Does anyone know what time they serve food until?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Daddio wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time they serve food until?
    Not sure, they have a facebook page so you could ring or email, they have updates on beers they got in.

http://en-gb.facebook.com/AgainstTheGrainDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Their menu is on the facebook page, and I like what I see. Roll on Thursday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on draught is great, but also make sure to try O' Haras Stout, it really surprised me, definatly going back for more, think its €4.40 aswell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on draught is great
    Currently (or at least last Friday) that's the Northern Hemisphere Harvest. I do wish the pubs carrying Sierra Nevada beers would put the correct badges on the taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I do wish the pubs carrying Sierra Nevada beers would put the correct badges on the taps.

I got caught myself when they had the Autumn beer on (tumbler?). I presumed I was ordering SNPA.

I saw something similar in another Dublin pub before. Three German guys walk in, spot the Paulaner tap and order three pints. There was much confusion when they were served three wheat beers, and not the lagers they were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Was in there a couple of weeks ago and was well impressed.

Good grub and amazing selection of beers-almost too good a selection!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Castle2

Tried AGT out a few times and quite liked the place- both the food and beer selection couldn't really be flawed. However on two out of three occasions (different barman on one occasion) in which i visited AGT, the 'barman' was really quite ignorant. I was surprised to later find out that this 'barman' was in fact the bar manager. :confused::confused: The owners of this potential gold mine really need to reconsider who they put in charge. Luckily the second barman could not have been nicer and was exceptionally helpful as to what beer i should try next!! keep up with the excellent food, beers, music and atmosphere and perhaps recruit a new and friendlier manager. Note: You should be aware that when you enter this place and try 'a few' different beers you will possibly have quite the sore head in the morning!!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Castle2, I've found the same thing with the bar staff on two occasions unfortunately. Very frustrating considering how super the rest of the set-up is. As you say though, seems to depend on the staff member - some are very friendly / professional.

On Saturday evening had two pints in there with my brother - Helvic Gold on cask.... Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Agreed, the head barman in there is brutal, shows no interest in his product and is openly rude. Last time I was in he threw my drink at me and proceeded to fawn over a couple of blonde 21 year old dolly-birds behind me (who ordered Coors Light). The contrast with L Mulligan Grocer is marked, the lads behind the bar are obviously beer nerds and are really sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Agree totally about the bar manager,think he is more suited to club m, grabbing the money from me and chewing gum last time i was in. Dont think he knows much about the beers either
    The younger barman is a bit more helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Pity. A place like this really needs staff who are enthusiastic about the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Sierra Nevada summer beer - a really nice hefeweizen is on tap there at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

This is gonna be my new local.
    I came back from 4 yrs in Canada, and was suprised to see more places taking on bigger selections of craft and microbrew beers.
    Pints of O'Hara's for 4.40 is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

had my second experience with the head manager whoever he is, acting like a jerk in general alright, real pity as the other staff are great and its my favourite pub. would seriously consider leaving when i see him working there next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

adamski8 wrote: »
    had my second experience with the head manager whoever he is, acting like a jerk in general alright, real pity as the other staff are great and its my favourite pub. would seriously consider leaving when i see him working there next time

I have to say that I always find the head barman in there quite friendly and enthusiastic. When I asked would they be getting metalman in though, I was told that there is no point as Galway Hooker is the same as it. It clearly tastes nothing like it. Metalman a much nicer drink imo (love Galway Hooker too though). But as I say, I think that he is quite friendly.

.... just to add, the worst bar service in the world by an absolute mile is Fagans in Drumcondra. The head barman (I won't say his name) in the original bar is the rudest most ignorant individual I have ever come across behind a bar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

redlead wrote: »
    I was told that there is no point as Galway Hooker is the same as it. It clearly tastes nothing like it.
    They stock Metalman and Hooker side by side in their other pubs. I think it's more that Hooker and Ór and O'Hara's IPA leave no room for Metalman -- even though each beer is different. Can't say I blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They had free pints of dark arts at 6pm yesterday for arthurs day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Never been to this pub so as I am on the southside this evening I will pop in on my way back from the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

one of the best dublin pubs ever. great beer, staff, food, music levels toilets are a bit small and dated but i dont mind. i have been in here in its other incarnations festival ect and i sincerly hope they keep doing as well as they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They're having their 1 year birthday celebration next weekend (Saturday I think). Free beer, cake, etc., apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Dave! wrote: »
    They're having their 1 year birthday celebration next weekend (Saturday I think). Free beer, cake, etc., apparently

Shhhh.....

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone know does Against The Grain have a bookable area/room?

What size is it? and does it have the full bar available?

Advertisement