Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stadium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

I would hate to see the team leave Tottenham but it always seemed to me that there must be a chance of getting us and West Spam to ground-share. How come that isn't on the table. Would have thought that the financial guys in both clubs would love it.
    Also why would the Spammers need the Olympic stadium when they are in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

"Meanwhile this development has not attracted a penny of public money.

This is a development with the potential to kickstart regeneration in one of the most deprived boroughs in London, where land values are poor and yet no regeneration monies are available to it. This is in contrast to the stadia developments of Arsenal and Wembley which were both awarded public sector assistance. These developments required substantial public sector intervention and assistance and would not have progressed without the injection of public sector money"

Personally, I still think it's all about angling for some Public Money investment, whether it be from Haringey Council or from the Greater London Authority.

The fact that Spurs have clearly stated that they will not retain the running track at the Olympic Stadium has already caused fury with the the UK Athletics Assoc and Sebastian Coe (organiser of London 2012) as it would be breaking their promise to the International Olympics committee that the stadium would retain athletics usage as a legacy for generations to come.

As has been stated, Haringey is one of the most deprived Boroughs of London, if not, the UK in general. In particular, the Tottenham district of the Borough is probably the worst area within the Borough.

Hundreds of small businesses in the area have signed up a petition to Haringey Council to support the original plans for redeveloping WHL. Basically, if Spurs move out of the area then those same businesses are going down the pan, which means a massive hit to the Council finances through lost Business Rates Revenue and more burden on the social welfare through the increase in unemployment.

So, I still think it's a case of blackmailing the Council to cough up some investment or they face losing the only thing that generates money and employment to the area. Tottenham Hotsur Football Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/11/23/2226928/tottenham-supporters-to-stage-mass-protest-march-against-olympic-

Protest planned for before the Chelsea game on the 12th.

There'll be leaflets handed out on Sunday before we play Liverpool.

A couple of smashing posts on FTL by a very articulate guy who opposes the move, I'm sure he won't mind me reposting here:
    But Barry, you are forgetting one thing.

Its in the name.

Tottenham Hotspur.

And not just the Tottenham bit either. Its also in the Hotspur.

Do you seriously believe that a group of schoolboys just conjured up Hotspur because they'd studied Shakespeare?

Harry Hotspur...why him? Why not Bolingbroke, why not Montague...why Hotspur?

You know Hotspur is Henry Percy, who was the Duke of Northumberland. The area of Tottenham according to Domesday belonged to the De Brise , better known as De Bruise, better known the Bruce family, who married into the Northumberland family. Hence why we have Northumberland Park, Tottenham Bruce Grove, Bruce Castle surrounding the ground where we've plied our trade for 128 years.

On our badge, before Levy mutalated it...it had the seven trees (the seven sisters), it has Bruce Castle, it has the Lions resplendent of the Bruce, which married into Northumberland, and sits alongside the Lion resplendent of Northumberland.

Everything about the name, its badge, was not plucked out of thin air...there is reason, and that reason is the area the Club represents.

No way, can you even call the club Hotspur in Stratford let alone naffing Tottenham Hotspur.

If that dont register, then you'll have no problem with a name change to Stratford Spurs.

Its matters Barry..move it to Stratford, you are not following Tottenham Hotspur, you are following ENIC and AEG, and what they set up there mate, will be an utter fake of what was the real Tottenham Hotspur.

Come on Barry, you've followed this club for years like I have, through good and bad, don't sell the soul and essence of the Club so cheaply mate, it matters.
    Mate I was born In Kings Cross, brought up all my life in Islington, surrounded by Goons, all my closest friends are, I love those names you mention as much as anyone else...but they weren't the only ones that applied the style that you fell in love with...but I have no bloody idea why Spurs, it just was...it may even be the name for all I know. Why we support the club, well there must hundreds of reasons...so what.

And you've forpotten the likes of Casey Brothers, the Thomson Brothers, Billy Hartson( as long at the club as Billy Nick), Bobby Buckle, Hedley Bull, Jack Jull and countless others who formed the club, all local boys, local being Tottenham, from local schools...so what?

Managers like Billy Nick you say, none of them from Tottenham you say...so what about the guy who taught him everything he, and Alf Ramsay,knew, Arthur Rowe, yup, local lad, Tottenham through and through...so what?

I have no attachment to the High Road or to any other part of Tottenham other that what lies between the Park Lane and the Paxton Road, and has done since 1898. That where we played at Northumberland Park is a stones throw from the Billy Nick Park, and that you can see the current ground clearly from Tottenham Marshes...well, that's a bit different.

Its where everything started, everything grew, everything flourished, and it gives us what we have now...and that's where the Club belongs.

If that don't mean jack to you, then fine, that's your opinion and I respect that, but its inescapable Barry, everything is in the name.

I know you're a true Tottenham Hotspur fan Barry, we've argued and agreed over a lot of things mate, and its always been a pleasure, but to me, Tottenham Hotspur lives and breathes in Tottenham, and if ENIC jump ship, as far as I am concerned Tottenham will never be the spiritual home of Tottenham Hotspur PLC, it will always be the home of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, and that's where it will cease to exist for many of us if Levy chases the sou in Stratford.

Extract from an interview with Sir Keith Mills (board member and part of England bid for World Cup 2018)
    Sir Keith sees this as the "crossroads season" for Spurs and is well aware that, to keep up with the League's elite, they need a bigger ground. By next March, fans will discover whether that means a new home at White Hart Lane or a move to the Olympic Stadium.

"If the Olympic Park legacy company decides our bid is the preferred one, then we'll put all our efforts behind trying to move there," he says. "If we get a 60,000-seat stadium in the Olympic Park at a lower cost than we can in Haringey, the club will have less debt. Fans would never forgive us for landing the club with so much debt that we can't go and buy players."

He accepts the downside of moving away from the original home of Tottenham but says there are upsides.

"We'll be moving to a part of London that is 100 per cent more accessible; we'll generate more revenue; it's closer to Canary Wharf and to the City; and it'll attract more sponsorship," he says.

Not plan B, not a smokescreen, they are serious...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

So are you completely against it Ronan ? And are your Cockney pals of the same opinion ?

Hatch99 wrote: »
    So are you completely against it Ronan ? And are your Cockney pals of the same opinion ?

Well John, as Cockney's traditionally (and by definition) hail from West Ham's manor, while I would count few of them as my friends I'd imagine they are...:D

In all seriousness, I would say the majority of my London-based mates do not want this to happen, and two are behind the We are N17 organisation. I think lots will row in behind whatever decision the current custodians of this great club decide on the stadium issue because for them it is not a big enough issue to break their attachment to the club.

It is the straw that will break this camels back.

Football is losing traditional fans every day, and they in the main part the people who help create the wonderful atmosphere that English football is renowned for. I think Stratford will be another soul-less megabowl with no links to the club and it's great history, and that will start to show in the matchday experience. We can kiss goodbye to glory glory nights if we move, regardless of what is achieved on the field of play.

I would rethink my opposition if circumstances forced us to move out of Tottenham, I do not believe an extra £50m in funding equates to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Well John, as Cockney's traditionally (and by definition) hail from West Ham's manor, while I would count few of them as my friends I'd imagine they are...:D

In all seriousness, I would say the majority of my London-based mates do not want this to happen, and two are behind the We are N17 organisation. I think lots will row in behind whatever decision the current custodians of this great club decide on the stadium issue because for them it is not a big enough issue to break their attachment to the club.

Football is losing traditional fans every day, and they in the main part the people who help create the wonderful atmosphere that English football is renowned for. I think Stratford will be another soul-less megabowl with no links to the club and it's great history, and that will start to show in the matchday experience. We can kiss goodbye to glory glory nights if we move, regardless of what is achieved on the field of play.

I would rethink my opposition if circumstances forced us to move out of Tottenham, I do not believe an extra £50m in funding equates to that though.

I think that levy is fishing for funds that 50m is basically blamed by him for us having to spend that 50m and reduce the income coming in as well from housing.

Knew I'd get a little nibble from the cockney (east end) remark.. ;)

Some very good piece above.

I haven't really had much time to stop and think about the whole stadium thing, but the more I do, the more against it and dis-heartened I become by the thought of moving. All I have ever known is Tottenham at WHL, and if I had to go to a different part of London to see us, well It just wouldn't feel right. It would kinda feel like Im supporting a different team, as silly as that may sound.

Another thing is the stadium itself. I hope to God we dont end up with a lifeless big stadium with no proper atmosphere. If we get what we are being promised, we are laughing, but I do wonder..

p.s. I love the North London is ours bit..

Tottenham have had their plans to redevelop White Hart Lane approved by the Mayor of London Boris Johnson.
    The Mayor had the power to overturn last month's decision by Haringey Council to grant planning permission for the 56,000-seater stadium.
    But Johnson backed the council which means the £450m redevelopment of White Hart Lane will go ahead unless the government decides to intervene.
    Spurs have also registered an interest in moving to the 2012 Olympic Stadium.
    More to follow.
    So good news hopefully now we might get some government funding or something and it'll pave the way for the northumberland project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

So good news hopefully now we might get some government funding or something and it'll pave the way for the northumberland project

good news alright. Really hope this goes ahead but it will still come down to the financials and potential grants etc will make or break this.

The Club has now received confirmation that the Mayor of London supports Haringey Council's resolution to grant planning permission for the Northumberland Development Project. The resolution to grant planning permission is subject to the completion of Section 106 and 278 Agreements with Haringey Council and to the final approval of both English Heritage and the Secretary of State, all of which are expected shortly.‬ ‪

As previously stated the Club is committed to keeping fans fully informed

Tim framp from we are N17 if anyone wants to watch a ssn interview with him
    http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16426_6528654,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

great posts from reckless above..

personally i think we need a bigger stadium to generate more revenue etc. but i dont think a move is the answer. the "new" stadium should be white hart lane bulit up. i really hope it goes ahead.

Tim framp from we are N17 if anyone wants to watch a ssn interview with him
    http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16426_6528654,00.html

For anyone interested..

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/say-no-to-stratford-hotspur/434

thanks hatch,

signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I actually hail from Stratford, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. It does not matter where we play, Spurs are Spurs

I actually hail from Stratford, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. It does not matter where we play, Spurs are Spurs

To you maybe, plenty around here that would disagree..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 T1961D

Signed Keep us Tottenham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Will things, in regards the new WHL, be affected at all by England not getting the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Shouldn't do. It's been on Levy's commercial radar for a while now. Definitely beats the idea of the Olympics stadium, with a running track separating fans from players.

A number of fans have emailed the Club asking us to conduct a survey in respect of our new stadium plans. As a Club we are always keen to listen to fans and to understand and take on board your views and opinions.

As clarification of where we are at this point in time in respect of our plans - We are progressing gaining full planning permission for the Northumberland Development Project. We currently await responses from English Heritage and the Secretary of State. We also await the completion of a S106 with Haringey Council and we are currently in discussions with the remaining land owners whose properties we still need to acquire to complete the site assembly.

At the same time and in parallel with this we are participating in the bid process for the Olympic Stadium site in order for the Olympic Park Legacy Company to select a preferred bidder in the new year.

As our supporters are aware, we conducted a full and thorough consultation process with fans and other stakeholders for the Northumberland Development Project and your views were fully taken on board and influenced the project.

We are, however, simply not in a position at this stage to do anything similar for the Olympic Stadium site in Stratford - no preferred bidder has been selected and therefore this is not a stadium option we, as a Club, can even ask our fans to consider.

It is also not sensible to ask the question re preferred location, since this should necessarily take into account what is deliverable, based on a wide variety of factors.

All we would ask of our supporters at this stage is that they allow us the time to consider all the possible options and to determine an optimum solution for a new stadium. We shall keep you all informed as this progresses.

In answer to the bolded part, we had no planning permission for NDP but they were happy to look for our support back then.

If we get the nod in March they will ditch NDP and go for Stratford. I have never wanted West Ham to win anything but I'm cheering for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

New Stadium Plans Update

The Club can now confirm that the Secretary of State has written to the London Borough of Haringey and to English Heritage stating that he does not propose to call in the planning and listed building consent applications for the Northumberland Development Project. English Heritage had previously indicated to the Secretary of State that they no longer have any objections to the proposals and are similarly content for Haringey to determine the applications. The Mayor of London has already indicated that he is content for Haringey to determine the applications without his involvement.

From the club website

Some quotes from Tottenham MP's to PM on keeping Tottenham in Tottenham
    Tottenham MP began: "Prime Minister, there are 2 great teams in North London...Tottenham Hotspur & Enfield Town"
    .MP urged PM to keep Spurs at the Lane & resist Olympic Stadium move. PM replied after Zurich he wanted to keep out of football politics...
    ...Anybody who's been to the Lane this season, experiencing the fantastic atmosphere, knows Spurs would be mad to move to soulless Olympic
    ...but PM praised Olympic site and the great teams of North London..."Tottenham Hotspur, Enfield Town...and Arsenal"...

One more nail in the coffin...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23911167-spurs-call-in-top-sports-pr-man-to-boost-bid-for-olympic-stadium.do
    The battle to move into the Olympic stadium intensified today when premier league club Tottenham Hotspur appointed the country's leading sports spin doctor to spearhead their campaign.

The club has hired Mike Lee, the former director of communications during the Olympic bid, as their bid against West Ham to take over the Stratford venue after the Games enters a crucial stage.

Spurs hope Mr Lee, who has helped win the 2016 Olympics for Rio and the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, will regain the PR initiative from the Hammers, whose combative campaign has been led by vice-chairman Karren Brady.

In her latest attack on the Spurs bid, Ms Brady, a judge on TV's The Apprentice, used her column in a national newspaper to highlight the non-domicile tax status of Spurs' owners.

Mr Lee's appointment will come as a blow to West Ham where he was a board member and advised them during the takeover by Icelandic businessman Eggert Magnusson, who launched his own failed bid to move into the Olympic stadium. Final offers for the stadium must be submitted to the Olympic Park Legacy Company by 21 January and its board is expected to identify a single “preferred bidder” at a meeting a week later.

Legacy chiefs want to complete contractual negotiations for a long-term lease of the stadium by the spring.

Sources say that Spurs have the strongest financial case and their bid is further strengthened by having a larger fan base.

But West Ham, whose bid is backed by Olympics chief Sebastian Coe, argue that they will deliver a stronger legacy. The East End club, which is partnered by Newham council, want to retain the athletics track in the stadium.

Spurs, who have joined forces with O2 owner AEG, intend to deliver on the Olympic bid promise of leaving an athletics legacy by funding a £20 million revamp of the national sports centre at Crystal Palace.

Mr Lee is expected to direct strategy and counter a campaign, “No to Stratford Hotspur”, run by opponents of the Olympics move.

One more nail in the coffin...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

tbh I thought there was little chance of us getting the stadium after we said we weren't gonna keep the track but now it's looking likely... There'll be absolute uproar if we do succeed, hope there is some protest organised for when we hand in or bid or whatever, to show the judges how much we dont want it.

• Advertisement

David Lammy has organised a Debate for Parlament tomorrow which I think is what Levy has been looking for because if the Government come in and back the Northumberland Project it would be huge for the regeneration of such a poor area not to mention the incredible loss to the local community and economy if we moved to Stratford.

Here's hoping the MP's will be willing to backthe project financially.
    THE potential impact of Spurs moving out of Tottenham is due to be raised in Parliament again this week.
    Tottenham MP David Lammy has organised a debate tomorrow which will look again at the club's controversial bid to move to the Olympic Stadium.
    The debate, entitled Regeneration in Tottenham, will look at the impact of the possible move on the area should the White Hart Lane redevelopment be ditched in favour of a switch to Stratford.
    Spurs bosses have planning permission for the 56,000-seater stadium near Northumberland Park, which will include a supermarket, offices, and homes, and will be a major boost for the Tottenham economy.
    However, the club continues to be a bidder for the Olympic Stadium, to take over after the 2012 games and leave Tottenham behind.
    Mr Lammy has been a vocal critic of the club's bid since it was revealed last year, and will use the debate tomorrow to raise the issues with Andrew Stunell, Lib Dem minister for regeneration

Advertisement