Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stadium

Options
  • 30-09-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Haringey council granted planning permission this evening for the new stadium
    The last hurdle involves approval/financial support from the Mayor's office.
    I think it's gonna happen.

I'm gonna miss the old girl
    They call it porgress so why does if feel wrong to me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's a good step forward all right but we'll miss it because new stadia never seem to have the same atmosphere and the lane has one of the best.

From Goal but seems well informed
    Tottenham Hotspur’s £400 million plan to redevelop White Hart Lane has cleared its most significant hurdle tonight after being unanimously approved by Haringey Council's planning committee.

Councillors granted planning permission for the scheme at a specially convened meeting in the council chamber at Haringey Civic Centre.

Following an exhaustive four hour and 10 minute meeting in which councillors questioned planning officers, supporters, objectors and the club itself, every committee member voted in favour of the development, which includes a 56,250-seat stadium, a 150-bedroom hotel, 200 homes and a supermarket.

They endorsed the recommendation of planning officers, who had approved the scheme in a 90-page report that went before the committee tonight.

The Council approval will be a huge relief to Tottenham, who have encountered a series of setbacks with their application since presenting their original proposal to planning officers 11 months ago.

The final part of the planning process is to get the consent of Mayor of London, Boris Johnson. He must make his decision within two weeks.

MORE...
    99567hp2.jpgSpurred on | How White Hart Lane will look if redevelopment gets go-ahead
    Paul Phillips, the project director for Tottenham, told the committee: "We have got a scheme now that is the right scheme for this site and this area.
    "The area is in real need of significant investment and we believe that this will allow this. There will be an increase in jobs, an increase in spend in the community.
    "We must stress that this is not a project that benefits the community 30 days a year. The scale and quality of this project will make it a vibrant place 365 days of the year."
    Objectors included the Reverend Luke Miller, who told councillors: "I think it should go ahead but I would like approval to be deferred to allow Spurs, the authority and the community to do better.

"We need a chance to make this scheme better for all. I believe we are in danger of missing a once in a generation opportunity and I feel we are not there yet despite all that has been done." But business figures welcomed the scheme. Gary Ince, of business development body North London Business, said: "This would bring confidence to the area, boost local businesses and assure businesses that Tottenham has a future. It would bring vibrancy to the area and would provide knock-on effects."
    Councillors heard, as originally revealed by Goal.com UK,that Spurs have an agreement with Sainsbury’s for the supermarket giant to build an 11,000 square metre megastore on the 20-acre Northumberland Park site.
    The supermarket, which insiders say will be the biggest in the borough of Haringey, forms Phase 1 of the development and work could now begin on the scheme later this year while Spurs raise the finance for building the ground.
    Sources say the supermarket is likely to be open within 18 months and then Tottenham can begin work on the stadium, which is Phase 2 of the development.
    Given this timescale, the club’s hopes of having the new ‘silver ring’ stadium ready by the 2013-14 season seem ambitious.
    Spurs’ proposal is to build a new stadium to the north of the current site. Two-thirds of the new structure will be built around the current ground while matches continue, before games switch to a pitch in the new, unfinished stadium as work is completed.
    The club believe they have outgrown their current home, which can hold only 36,214 fans. They have another 23,000 on the waiting list for season tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

BBC reporting just there on a Sports News bulletin that Spurs have applied for use of the Olympic Stadium, I presume then this will be for when WHL is being redeveloped?

I must admit I love the proposals for the NWHL, especially the fact it uses one side of the exisiting ground.

What is the latest on West Ham's bid to use that Olympic Stadium? I thought they were kind of shot down, but hadn't followed it much since.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Agree it will be sad to leave the original WHL, but it's great news for the club to see it take another step forward. 50/60k at a home Spurs game is what we all want to see. Lets hope the crowd are nice and close to the pitch when its completed.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Agree it will be sad to leave the original WHL, but it's great news for the club to see it take another step forward. 50/60k at a home Spurs game is what we all want to see. Lets hope the crowd are nice and close to the pitch when its completed.

COYS

appar the fans are to be as close to pitch as now and sound etc should all be kept in.

tbh I will miss the old stadium. there is just something about whl that no matter what you do cant be replicated. It almost like the ghosts of glories past live there and give it that special feel.

But its a financial reality these days that we need to move on and 50-60k at home matches would be great. onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Mullo76 wrote: »
    appar the fans are to be as close to pitch as now and sound etc should all be kept in.

tbh I will miss the old stadium. there is just something about whl that no matter what you do cant be replicated. It almost like the ghosts of glories past live there and give it that special feel.

But its a financial reality these days that we need to move on and 50-60k at home matches would be great. onwards and upwards.

The thing about the Lane is that it is very compact and you're always close to the action wherever you sit.If they can replicate that at the new ground that would be great. I think the fact that the ground will still be in the same area is a huge plus from a historic/nostalgia point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

BBC reporting just there on a Sports News bulletin that Spurs have applied for use of the Olympic Stadium, I presume then this will be for when WHL is being redeveloped?

I must admit I love the proposals for the NWHL, especially the fact it uses one side of the exisiting ground.

What is the latest on West Ham's bid to use that Olympic Stadium? I thought they were kind of shot down, but hadn't followed it much since.

My understanding that this move is an alternative to the new development not an interim solution.

slegs wrote: »
    My understanding that this move is an alternative to the new development not an interim solution.

Ya same we still have a few things to overcome before we can even start building so we're hedging our bets although it would mean a move to east London which would be horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

GOLD BEMUSED BY SPURS INTEREST

Link: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6421522,00.html
    West Ham co-chairman David Gold has hit out after Spurs entered the running for the Olympic Stadium post-2012.
    Gold and co-chairman David Sullivan expressed their interest in moving into the stadium in Stratford when they took over at Upton Park earlier this year.
    The club's joint bid for the stadium with Newham Council was handed in to 10 Downing Street on Thursday by Scott Parker, Carlton Cole and Mark Noble after it was formally presented to the Olympic Park Legacy Company.
    But Spurs have thrown a potential spanner in the works by registering their own interest in occupying the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games.
    This comes despite the club having their planning application for a new 56,250-seat stadium - dubbed the Northumberland Park Development Project - approved by Haringey Council on Thursday night.
    Gold has now hit out at their interest in the Olympic Stadium in Stratford - which is likely to have 60,000 seats for football purposes.
    He told the Daily Star: "Is it a ludicrous idea? It sounds like it to me.
    "They have just got planning permission to build a new stadium. So what are they going to do, have one stadium for when it's sunny and another for when it's raining?"

I'd take the Olympic Stadium and use it for Reserve matches just to piss this lad off.

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    GOLD BEMUSED BY SPURS INTEREST

Link: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6421522,00.html

I'd take the Olympic Stadium and use it for Reserve matches just to piss this lad off.
    Nah it'd be a good place to hold some summer camps for the youngsters though

I really hope we can go ahead with this stadium rather then move to the Olympic stadium.
    Looking at financing options their are
    Naming rights Arsenal got £100m over 15 years - we could be looking at possibly 150m over 20years or 7.5m a year
    The sainsbury shopping centre
    200 Homes
    Exclusive Catering rights
    And Debt

To be honest the whole project looks so expensive id be worried we would over stretch ourselves

We are aware that coverage of comments made by AEG yesterday have been interpreted by the media in various ways concerning the Club's position in respect of the Northumberland Development Project and the Olympic Stadium site.
    We should like to make two things absolutely clear at this stage: firstly, we have registered an interest in the Olympic Stadium site in order to keep our options open going forward given the early stages we are in with the Northumberland Development Project scheme. This is a very preliminary stage and a Pre Qualification Questionnaire was completed jointly with AEG in order to meet the deadline for registration; Secondly, we continue to progress the application for the Northumberland Development Project with Haringey Council and will continue to do so with a view to achieving full consent.
    We have not changed our position and shall not do so without due consideration and consultation.

From the site

I really hope we can go ahead with this stadium rather then move to the Olympic stadium.
    Looking at financing options their are
    Naming rights Arsenal got £100m over 15 years - we could be looking at possibly 150m over 20years or 7.5m a year
    The sainsbury shopping centre
    200 Homes
    Exclusive Catering rights
    And Debt

To be honest the whole project looks so expensive id be worried we would over stretch ourselves

Hopefully, we get all the thumbs up from the relevant departments and can stay in the WHL general area. If we do, Champions League football would be a major benefit, hence why it should our main target on the pitch this season to remain in the top 4, as hard as it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Hopefully, we get all the thumbs up from the relevant departments and can stay in the WHL general area. If we do, Champions League football would be a major benefit, hence why it should our main target on the pitch this season to remain in the top 4, as hard as it may be.

Absolutely. I get the feeling that this talk of the Olympic Stadium is just to put the pressure on those against the new WHL proposal, to show them that we have other options and that they can't hold us to ransom on any demand they see fit. At the end of the day, the area around WHL is better off with us there and redevloping the area.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Absolutely. I get the feeling that this talk of the Olympic Stadium is just to put the pressure on those against the new WHL proposal, to show them that we have other options and that they can't hold us to ransom on any demand they see fit. At the end of the day, the area around WHL is better off with us there and redevloping the area.

Whithout the club there the area would self distruct it's incredibly run down

Whithout the club there the area would self distruct it's incredibly run down

Ah that's harsh, it's a lovely area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

If the decision is based on financial factors then moving to Stratford is a no brainer.
    I reckon there would be a saving of more than £300mil versus building the new stadium.

Knowing Levy's style, I can see this happeneing. The sums add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I see the Olympic Stadium proposal as nothing more than a bargaining tool to use against Haringey Council.

Levy will being trying to dodge some of the carrots they tempted with and then promised to the council to get the current plans agreed.

e.g.
    Building a new supermarket for the local community
    Building 200 new 'affordable homes'

If the club even looks like getting the Olympic Stadium, then they'll be straight back to Haringey Council with revised plans in regard to the local area regeneration and I'd think the council would have to swallow it. They might even be angling for some council grant towards development costs.

There is also another theory that the new stadium may not be completed for a good few years and therefore we can use the Olympic Stadium until works are finished. Then we'd hand full control over to AEG, the company that owns the O2 Arena (previously the Millenium Dome) and move back to our new home.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I see the Olympic Stadium proposal as nothing more than a bargaining tool to use against Haringey Council.

Levy will being trying to dodge some of the carrots they tempted with and then promised to the council to get the current plans agreed.

e.g.
    Building a new supermarket for the local community
    Building 200 new 'affordable homes'

If the club even looks like getting the Olympic Stadium, then they'll be straight back to Haringey Council with revised plans in regard to the local area regeneration and I'd think the council would have to swallow it. They might even be angling for some council grant towards development costs.

There is also another theory that the new stadium may not be completed for a good few years and therefore we can use the Olympic Stadium until works are finished. Then we'd hand full control over to AEG, the company that owns the O2 Arena (previously the Millenium Dome) and move back to our new home.

Sounds very logical Rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The way sullivan and gold are talking , its like as if they want riots to happen if spurs get the olympic stadium .
    Talking to a few whu fans they are embarressed by the 2 owners comments.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/6438836/Big-boost-for-Hammers-stadium-bid

If the premier league table stays the same what would be the point of letting a championship side use the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Levy and the board will make the decision that benefits the club the most for the medium to long term. I think Levy has been proven to be a shrewd operator and the Olympic stadium option may make most sense in the long run even if it means upsetting a few people along the way.

News today Haringey councillors were intervening to try and keep the stadium.
    I also think we should be in line for considerable grants to help regenerate one of the poorest(bottom ten per cent in uk) areas.

Much has been written of late about the Club's stadium plans, which, due to agreed and commercial confidentiality, the Club has not been able to correct in some cases or clarify in others. It may be helpful however to update Club stakeholders on the current position with what we are able to say at this stage.

The Club is progressing the Northumberland Development Project in order to achieve full planning permission and other necessary consents. The applications have been referred to the Mayor of London, the Secretary of State and English Heritage for their approval.

We have made no secret about the fact that the cost of consent will be extremely high. The revisions to the plans, to meet stakeholder approval, has added in excess of £50m to a development that could well cost in the region of £450m to bring to fruition. Had we not made these changes to retain historic buildings then English Heritage indicated that they would have no option but to advise that the application be called in and that permission would be refused. The reduction in the residential element as part of these changes has also impacted on the level of enabling development which would have contributed to the scheme.

We have spent a substantial amount acquiring land for the site assembly and we still do not own all of the land required to proceed with the development, making a Compulsory Purchase Order process likely.

The application also includes S106 and S278 costs in the region of £17m, relating to requests for contributions from Council departments and Transport for London as part of the planning consent.

Meanwhile this development has not attracted a penny of public money.

This is a development with the potential to kickstart regeneration in one of the most deprived boroughs in London, where land values are poor and yet no regeneration monies are available to it. This is in contrast to the stadia developments of Arsenal and Wembley which were both awarded public sector assistance. These developments required substantial public sector intervention and assistance and would not have progressed without the injection of public sector money.

The Club fully appreciates the sentiments expressed recently by David Lammy MP in respect of our position in Tottenham - we too recognise the historic, economic and emotional aspects of this. We would therefore hope that, rather than seek to criticise the Club at this undetermined stage and make inaccurate and unfounded assumptions about our financial intentions with the Club, he would now be seeking to do everything in his power to attract public sector support for the Borough.

Whatever the outcome on our stadium expansion plans we are committed to the regeneration of Tottenham, but it is wrong to suggest that we should bear this burden alone.

Mr Lammy expressed his opinion to me that he would rather keep us in Tottenham even if it means we are unable to redevelop White Hart Lane. We do not find this acceptable nor do we think our fans, who want to see the Club grow, be able to buy season tickets and see success on the pitch, will find it either.

As we said previously, it was only prudent and good sense that we should consider all options for a new stadium development. Given the importance of this to the future wellbeing of the Club and the above factors, the Club registered an interest to bid for the Olympic Stadium site, where a bidder is sought to deliver a commercially sustainable legacy post the 2012 Olympics. There is no doubt that this is a possible option for us and, indeed, many will recall that it was our original option five years ago.

Much has been commented on us being a North London club potentially looking to move to East London - the Olympic site is in fact less than 5 miles from our current stadium and will be served by the best possible transport infrastructure in London. Our fans stem from all around the country, notably around the M25 and Home Counties and travel an average of 40 miles to home matches and we regularly welcome fans from all over the world.

I am a fan of our Club too. We have 34,000 people on the paid-for waiting list for season tickets - a number which grows daily - and it is indisputable that we now need an increased capacity stadium in order to continue to move the Club forward and compete at the highest levels. Any new stadium option must necessarily be one which is feasible in both land acquisition and financing terms.

On a point of clarity - this is not about ‘chasing profit' - this process is entirely about seeking that which is deliverable.

We remain committed to our principles - to deliver a world class stadium with the best fan experience in Europe, secure foundations to underpin the future playing success of the Club and the best funded Foundation in the Premier League for all our communities.

Common and commercial sense dictates that we, as management of the Club, must look at what is in these long-term interests and the financial security of the Club. It is in no-one's interest to pursue an option which could ultimately undermine this.

We shall consult our fans as we move forward in order to deliver them the most atmospheric stadium in Europe, with increased capacity and great access. Our preferred option will be the one that allows us to deliver that for our supporters.

On a final note, I would ask fans to support us at this stage whilst we, with the best interests of the Club at heart, explore all the options.

Yours, Daniel
    Good statement from the club and it's good to point out the lack of public investment for the project while it's obvious the government doesn't have the money it once had it's still good to point this out and put a bit of pressure on the public sector to help in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I do not believe that an extra £50m is the tipping point on the NDP project, i.e. the provision of that amount from state funds to cover the extras will be enough to see us lose interest in Stratford.

I also believe this comes down to the bottom line for the current owners (caretakers IMO) of the club, they would certainly prefer a smaller debt on the balance sheet when it comes time to sell up.

If Spurs do move to Stratford by choice then it will be without me, and I will not support a team based in Stratford. Those of you who choose a different path are welcome to do so, and I wish you well should that happen.

Part of me wants Stratford to happen as it would allow me to get my personal finances back on track and might allow me time t get on with living my life. Every cloud and all that...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

If Spurs do move to Stratford by choice then it will be without me, and I will not support a team based in Stratford.;)

if spurs moved to timbucktoo id support em , sure the emirates is still in NL , maybe that might suit ye:rolleyes:

I do not believe that an extra £50m is the tipping point on the NDP project, i.e. the provision of that amount from state funds to cover the extras will be enough to see us lose interest in Stratford.

I also believe this comes down to the bottom line for the current owners (caretakers IMO) of the club, they would certainly prefer a smaller debt on the balance sheet when it comes time to sell up.

If Spurs do move to Stratford by choice then it will be without me, and I will not support a team based in Stratford. Those of you who choose a different path are welcome to do so, and I wish you well should that happen.

Part of me wants Stratford to happen as it would allow me to get my personal finances back on track and might allow me time t get on with living my life. Every cloud and all that...;)
    I'd be dissapointed to lose you :( I still don't believe we will move but I would hate to see the club saddled with a debt that stopped us from competing. Still I am surprised that one of the poorest places in the uk isn't being offered some form of government support look at Liverpool given Stanley Park to be built on so they can regenerate the area around the current stadium.
    BERBA wrote: »
    if spurs moved to timbucktoo id support em , sure the emirates is still in NL , maybe that might suit ye:rolleyes:
    Don't be silly just don't :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

BERBA wrote: »

The Emirates is in Islington, not Tottenham, so no that wouldn't suit me.

Advertisement