Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There are an awful lot of generalisations here...

I'm a student coming in from a night out right now, only alcohol I had tonight was a sip of a friend's drink. I also don't tend to drink much anyway therefore no drunkeness, messiness or hangovers = A student who isn't a drunken mess :O

Money wise? I'm f***ed tbh. I have no rights to a grant but yet there is NO money at home at all. I am working two jobs to try put me through this year and try to save up for erasmus next year. It's hard but it has to be done = a student who isn't (and refuses to) being payrolled :O

I study hard and work hard but I play hard as well. It is possible to do all of that!

Not all students are like the ones being described and it's really unfair on us that these generalisation are made. In fact I only know about 2 or 3 of my fellow students who are anything like images being portrayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There are an awful lot of generalisations here...

I'm a student coming in from a night out right now, only alcohol I had tonight was a sip of a friend's drink.

Scabby student behaviour generalisation made real.

Scabby student behaviour generalisation made real.

Or I just don't drink much and was offered a bit?
    If I wanted a drink i would have bought myself one thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Or I just don't drink much and was offered a bit?
    If I wanted a drink i would have bought myself one thank you very much

Mine's a double. It's your round.

Mine's a double. It's your round.

If I'm getting something too, that's grand

I don't do rounds. None of my friends tend to and if they did, they know that it's only fair not to include me considering I'm most likely to only get water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

steddyeddy wrote: »
    As I said im a mature student I formerly studied in america and went fairly wild there but we had respect for the estates we lived in. If you think any part of college life is showing no respect for other people who arent students then your missing a big part of real life!

I know its not all about studying all day even as mature student I go out a fair bit but to say that going out and being young involves waking up people in estates and damaging other peoples propety is Bullsh1t.

Im guessing because I dont think students should be destructive towards property or show respect for other people I have sour grapes. I went to the biggest college in america one of the biggest in the world. I drank took most types of drugs (not proud of that) I did it all without support of any type from anytype of family worked saved and worked my ass off to put myself through college but didnt do half the damage these spoiled sh1ts do. sour grapes me hole!
    Don't think I said anything about destroying things being alright, your comment was about drinking and some people not waking up on time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Daddy's bankroll I presume. Also, you would be gobsmacked at some of the grants students can get. I'm not talking about people who'd deserve it, but moreso people who hardly come from a struggling family.

yep it sickening i cant even get a grant.... :mad: i got a spidas grant of 350 euros to cover my registration fees.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Woohoo, living opposite the law faculty I missed the constant stream of dolled-up little minxes over the summer, but they're back with a bang now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Mature student myself in Nuig and have seen the carry-on firsthand around the town. Makes me cringe to see some of the young ones on the tear. I'm all for a bit of fun but many of them take it too far!!!

As for them running riot around housing estates near NUIG and people saying that you shouldn't live in a student populated housing estate.........What about the older generation of people who have lived in housing estates for the past 30-40 years?? Should they have to move, no fukkin way!!!
    My parents still live in the family home up in the westside and have a high pop. of students living in the area. Luckily there have been no problems to date and for that I'm very thankful but I would hound the little buggers if they harrassed my parents at 5am:mad: I believe there are problems in estates in Galway rather than other estates as the students know that there are certain estates where you wouldn't get away with that kind of sh*t, i.e. my parents estate is a well established community with a reputation for dealing with gobsh*tes without the "help" of the local garda.:cool:
    Nuff said........

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Don't think I said anything about destroying things being alright, your comment was about drinking and some people not waking up on time

no it wasnt

• Advertisement
Advertisement