Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD SCIENCE!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Hi, transferred into 1st yr science about a third of the way through the first semester and havent been to any of the 3 practicals ive been scheduled for (stupid i know) and have my last and first tommorow. What exactly do i need to bring besides lab coat and latex gloves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Montroseee wrote: »
    Hi, transferred into 1st yr science about a third of the way through the first semester and havent been to any of the 3 practicals ive been scheduled for (stupid i know) and have my last and first tommorow. What exactly do i need to bring besides lab coat and latex gloves?

If it's a dissection lab, you may need to bring your dissection kit. Don't think you have to bring your own gloves, there should be plenty of gloves in the lab. Some lecturers might make you wear safety glasses so if you have a pair, bring them along too. Other than that, just a pad and pen should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Depends what it is.

You'll need a lab manual, possibly a dissection kit, lab coat, maybe goggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Its a physics practical. So I definately need to bring a lab coat and lab manual, the rest will be provided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Its a physics practical. So I definately need to bring a lab coat and lab manual, the rest will be provided?

You DO NOT need a lab coat for physics labs. It's not like biology or chemistry where you'd expect things to be squirting all over the place.

You can get a lab manual in room 110 on the 1st floor of the physics building (that's only for 1st years though, in second year on you can get the lab manuals online).

• Advertisement

You DO NOT need a lab coat for physics labs. It's not like biology or chemistry where you'd expect things to be squirting all over the place.

Tehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I wish we did need lab coats in physics:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

Fad wrote: »
    You cant do do Comp Sci and Physics together any more I'm afraid, you could take programming electives though?

It regularly doesn't get run due to lack of interest though (I have a few friends in science in TCD).

How disappointing, do you know why you can't anymore? I first thought the only place I could do this was in Maynooth and after finally managing to find the page on UCD with all the things you could choose for Science, and saw Computer Science and Physics I was so chuffed and now it's not possible :( I emailed the Science department about it last night and didn't even get a reply yet.

Thanks for the info Fad.

amortentia wrote: »
    How disappointing, do you know why you can't anymore? I first thought the only place I could do this was in Maynooth and after finally managing to find the page on UCD with all the things you could choose for Science, and saw Computer Science and Physics I was so chuffed and now it's not possible :( I emailed the Science department about it last night and didn't even get a reply yet.

Thanks for the info Fad.

You just cant do Comp Sci through general science anymore, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

You just cant do Comp Sci through general science anymore, at all.

Computer Science has serious hours now for 1st years so thats probably why, no chance of doing anything with it. They revamped the entire module.

• Advertisement

A physics and comp. sci duel major would be quite hard anyway as both subjects get very ikky in 3rd and 4th year. There would be no space for an easy arts elective to boost your gpa if you do badly as it would have a module ratio of 6:6 for both subjects.

bigred100 wrote: »
    Computer Science has serious hours now for 1st years so thats probably why, no chance of doing anything with it. They revamped the entire module.

It's because they've made maths specific and a few other things.

You only needed to do like four CS modules to get into CS last year. That's what I did. Fúcked me and a few other people over a bit, but I could be worse off, it's a bit of a shame they closed it down, but I suppose they're making the course a bit less shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

It's because they've made maths specific and a few other things.

You only needed to do like four CS modules to get into CS last year. That's what I did. Fúcked me and a few other people over a bit, but I could be worse off, it's a bit of a shame they closed it down, but I suppose they're making the course a bit less shít.

I know :(

I'm one of the poor guys doing it.

bigred100 wrote: »
    I know :(

I'm one of the poor guys doing it.

I have no sympathy, your first year will result in you all being much better at programming (imo)......

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

+1 to the above post, im jealous of the new first year comp sci students, looks much better over what the rest of us have done in previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I have a question about changing streams. At the moment I'm doing Theoretical Physics and Applied & Comp. Mathematics. I'm tempted to switch to Mathematical Science. However, they have a module in Statistics that I don't really have much of a clue about. If I were to switch for semester 2, how likely will I be to struggle to the point of contemplating suicide in Statistics?

Ruski wrote: »
    I have a question about changing streams. At the moment I'm doing Theoretical Physics and Applied & Comp. Mathematics. I'm tempted to switch to Mathematical Science. However, they have a module in Statistics that I don't really have much of a clue about. If I were to switch for semester 2, how likely will I be to struggle to the point of contemplating suicide in Statistics?

You could give more specifics about the module.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You could give more specifics about the module.

I do the module in question. It's Introduction to Statistical Modelling (STAT10050).

We covered
    Theory of Data Collection

Descriptive Statistics - mean, mode, median, standard dev, boxplots, histograms, stem-and-leaf

Probability - basic probability, additive rule, multiplicative rule, Baye's Rule, probability from a normal distribution (bell-shaped data).

Inferential Statistics - Hypothesis Testing (and the three main ways of calculating p-value, and how to use student-t distribution), and confidence intervals.

Ruski, I did an elective in Stats called STAT10010 - Introductory Statistics, which covers much of the same thing but is slightly easier. The only differences are that there is no probability, the p-value is given (and doesn't need to be calculated) for hypothesis testing, and fitting Single and Multiple Regression models is covered in this module, whereas it isn't covered in stat10050 - you should consider doing this as an elective in 2nd year (it's a Semester One Module)

Yo anyone know if one can change around microlabs? I want to register for Introduction to Analysis but it clashes with a physics microlab I have on Mondays (it's also preventing me from taking other math modules too like Mathematics of Google and Graphs and Networks). Now I stuck with this history module.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

Hey guys! I'm wondering if any1 knows much about genetics in ucd through, u guessed it, science course! Like general stuff like is that course good and if a degree is useful for either getting a job in biotech or further education? Cheers

• Advertisement

Comrade C wrote: »
    Hey guys! I'm wondering if any1 knows much about genetics in ucd through, u guessed it, science course! Like general stuff like is that course good and if a degree is useful for either getting a job in biotech or further education? Cheers

Well UCD offers amongst the best science courses in the country (*prepares battle stations, awaits retaliation*). If you're interested in further education (like a master, ph.d) then of course its recognised. There are plenty of UCD science students who went on to Oxbridge after their degree (you have to work hard though ... obviously). In terms of industry I don't know much about biotech or genetics but like nearly every industry in Ireland nowadays I'd imagine it'd be fairly tough to get a job. The main thing is, as has been said hundreds of times before, do a degree in the subject you're interested in ... following your dreams.

Come join us, we have free scones!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well UCD offers amongst the best science courses in the country (*prepares battle stations, awaits retaliation*). If you're interested in further education (like a master, ph.d) then of course its recognised. There are plenty of UCD science students who went on to Oxbridge after their degree (you have to work hard though ... obviously). In terms of industry I don't know much about biotech or genetics but like nearly every industry in Ireland nowadays I'd imagine it'd be fairly tough to get a job. The main thing is, as has been said hundreds of times before, do a degree in the subject you're interested in ... following your dreams.

Come join us, we have free scones!

Having completed a science degree in america and now ucd and can say ucd offers excellent science degrees. irish science graduates are seen as extremely capable.

Ugh, Linear Algebra & Geometry exam today was horrible. Repeating will be a bitch. Sickened.

Ruski wrote: »
    Ugh, Linear Algebra & Geometry exam today was horrible. Repeating will be a bitch. Sickened.

Although I'm in 2nd year I know how you feel about Linear Algebra. Looking at it, it seems so easy them when you come to the exam, the fact that you might have stayed up late the night before and general time constraints - it really is a bitch. This has always been my problem with that particular field even for second year Linear Algebra modules - practice makes perfect. I envisage myself repeating Vector Spaces & Coding (2nd year Linear Algebra based).

Although I'm in 2nd year I know how you feel about Linear Algebra. Looking at it, it seems so easy them when you come to the exam, the fact that you might have stayed up late the night before and general time constraints - it really is a bitch. This has always been my problem with that particular field even for second year Linear Algebra modules - practice makes perfect. I envisage myself repeating Vector Spaces & Coding (2nd year Linear Algebra based).
    Also Unger changed the course this year. The past papers were pretty much useless. Well... as well as me being too lazy to study during the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

You looked sick leaving the exam hall today, Ruski. A bit like how I felt when I handed in the paper for linear models in the sciences. :(

You looked sick leaving the exam hall today, Ruski. A bit like how I felt when I handed in the paper for linear models in the sciences. :(
    Disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Maths exams can be a pain in the ass purely because of the time constraint. Too often do I find myself trying to juggle efficient use of time and making sure I'm actually doing it correctly. It feels a bit unfair because the final grade won't exactly reflect your actual understanding. I suppose there is something to be said about how a high grade stands to you in future.

Of course practice makes perfect I suppose. I always seem to fall into the pitfall of thinking I'll have enough time to derive formula in an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

I have dn200 undenominated down . I hear that by having it down i may not get into my desired course, when i have to choose what subject to continue the degree with. I am stuck between physics and chemistry. Will it be hard to get into my desired course after the undenominated course ?? What way do they decide who gets in?

• Advertisement

Cathald04 wrote: »
    I have dn200 undenominated down . I hear that by having it down i may not get into my desired course, when i have to choose what subject to continue the degree with. I am stuck between physics and chemistry. Will it be hard to get into my desired course after the undenominated course ?? What way do they decide who gets in?

Chemistry has unlimited places as a major, not sure about physics, but I really really doubt that you wouldn't get into it tbh, most competition is for bio based subjects.

Advertisement