Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD SCIENCE!!

Options
  • 29-09-2010 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Fellow UCD scientists,

It has come to my attention lately that the TCD forum has a very active mega thread for science (entitled 'Science TR071') with over 1100 replies.

To counter this, I propose the initiation of a thread (this thread) specifically for science students (including denominated science student) in UCD for discussions that can either be on-topic (i.e., academic, facility and administrative issues relating to science) or off-topic (the general goings on within science, sci-soc, science day, etc..).

It might also help prospective students, with an interest in studying science in UCD, and new incoming science students gain greater awareness of the course and the faculty.

However people from all other courses in UCD are welcome to join in the discussions :)

Shure it'll be great craic. What d'ya say?

(with permission of forum mods, of course)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My name's Dave and I'm a mathematician. It's been three weeks since I last integrated but the temptation never goes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fellow UCD scientists,

Thank you good sir for not excluding anyone.

I am a Social Scientist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Absolutely.

If it is a General degree and has a Science after it is a Science; be it General Science, Agriculture Science, Social Science or Computer Science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Physics with astronomy and space science is where its at:cool:

Conor108 wrote: »
    Astrophysicists do it all night long!

Davidius wrote: »
    My name's Dave and I'm a mathematician. It's been three weeks since I last integrated but the temptation never goes away.

Did you integrate over all her curves last time?

Conor108 wrote: »

The only thing I know about is Astronomy is that this is great. The rest I don't really know much about.

Astronomy by Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

unknown13 wrote: »
    The only thing I know about is Astronomy is that this is great. The rest I don't really know much about.

Astronomy by Metallica

:D You embed the youtube.com/watch?v=kgqDtU8BXf0 bit :) Took me ages to figure that out :)

• Advertisement

I have some problem with embedding youtube clips for some reason. That's why I gave the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Finished my undergrad in UCD in biochemistry last year and am now doing an MSc in Imaging and Microscopy in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dont forget pseudoscience!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Psychology is a science too :) The department in UCD was located in the Science block until a few years ago. Now the labs are in the E block of the Newman building :)

Ugh, I should have been more specific. Like, "Everyone who chooses core and option modules from the science stream". Oh well.

Ugh, I should have been more specific. Like, "Everyone who chooses core and option modules from the science stream". Oh well.

No, you shouldn't have been. The thread is good as it. It allows for a large amount of scientists to express their views. Not a certain group.

unknown13 wrote: »
    No, you shouldn't have been. The thread is good as it. It allows for a large amount of scientists to express their views. Not a certain group.
    Let it be then, let it flow. S'all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Applied and Computational Maths represent!

And has anyone else noticed how Mathematical Modelling seems to make very little to no sense? The only good part of that class is when Dr. Cox writes on walls and doors and punches the blackboards.

Ruski wrote: »
    And has anyone else noticed how Mathematical Modelling seems to make very little to no sense. The only good part of that class is when Dr. Cox writes on walls and doors and punches the blackboards.

I wish one of my lecturers would do that.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And has anyone else noticed how Mathematical Modelling seems to make very little to no sense? The only good part of that class is when Dr. Cox writes on walls and doors and punches the blackboards.
    It will fall more into place as time goes on, Cox just likes to scare people.

(Originally started in mathematical science many moons ago, finished my undergrad in CS in 2009, did the MSc in CS via negotiated learning last year)

• Advertisement

Applied and Computational Maths represent!

“Good morning, “reasons why I drink”, you may have noticed that we have a new face in our group.”

scrubs2-46.jpg

Maths Modelling I is relatively simple. 'tis no Numbers & Functions.

Maths Modelling I is relatively simple. 'tis no Numbers & Functions.
    I'm finding Numbers and Functions fairly accessible. Osburn is a fantastic teacher.

I'm finding Numbers and Functions fairly accessible. Osburn is a fantastic teacher.
    I believe the mean mark in our classes mid-term was around a pass last year so good on you if you're finding it easy enough.

If I remember correctly there was rickroll linked on the MATH10040 homepage under the guise of exam solutions at one stage. :pac:

I believe the mean mark in our classes mid-term was around a pass last year so good on you if you're finding it easy enough.

If I remember correctly there was rickroll linked on the MATH10040 homepage under the guise of exam solutions at one stage. :pac:
    But then again, I may not be saying the same after the quiz on friday. The fact that I'm going to be miserably hungover doesn't help either. I thought Linear Algebra and Geometry was hella bad during the first week but now it's starting to click.
    Introduction to Mechanics is just ridiculously boring. Prof. Ottewill's tone of voice doesn't help it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

woo, science!

But then again, I may not be saying the same after the quiz on friday. The fact that I'm going to be miserably hungover doesn't help either. I thought Linear Algebra and Geometry was hella bad during the first week but now it's starting to click.
    Introduction to Mechanics is just ridiculously boring. Prof. Ottewill's tone of voice doesn't help it either.
    Never did Intro to Mechanics or had Ottewill as a lecturer. You won't regret the knowledge if you go onto Mechanics & Special Relativity though, can be a bit of a bitch so it can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

4th TP, I miss Cox and Osborn. Although Otteweil is a brilliant lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Finished TP a couple of years ago, doing a PhD in physics now. Cox was awesome, as was Osborn. Cox's 1st year course (I'm pre-horizons so bear with me) was scary at the beginning, but was grand in the end. His 3rd year fluids course was fun too, didn't take 4th year fluids though. Osborn's 2nd year course (was Number & Group Theory when I did it) was grand in terms of difficulty I thought...but the group theory part could be a little tricky I guess

• Advertisement

Kinda shocked by the amount of physics students on here (including myself).

Advertisement