Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brundle wants Legard out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, Ben Edwards and strangely enough John Watson (ol' Wattie) were a great combo on Eurosport when they use to show the F1 races. I remember their commentary when watching Coulthard as race leader come into pit in Adelaide. He stuffed the car into the barriers at the pit entrance and the two boys nearly blew a gasket in the excitement. Very entertaining altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Eurosport also had a dutch guy in the late 80s/early 90s who was good. BBC might not like someone witha european accent though. John Watson used to be his co-commentator. Eurosport is excellent except for the damn breaks!!
    Your joking right? they almost never take a break during a race allways warm up laps or warm down laps..

During the motorbikes they have 6 breaks for 7/8 hours of TV!!!! remember ITV taking a break once with 3 laps to go when there was a huge battle going on!!

your just spoiled with the BBC these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I really miss Murray Walker..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Legard is a nice chap I'm sure but his commentary is just awful. He is the weakest link in the BBC F1 team for sure

Ben Edwards would be great but I can't see it happening

As for James Allen coming back, jesus christ no. I couldn't stand another one of those pathetic "GOOOOOOOO"'s at the start of a race, in an attempt to sound like Murry Walker. Anyway, he's just one of those people in life that you find annoying, but you don't quite know why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Legard is far from my favourite member of the BBC F1 crew but like with James Allen (who I could NOT listen to another word from) the whole commentary F1 coverage issue is becoming a bit of a crass witch hunt.

I really thought that Brundle might prove me wrong and display some loyalty, etiquette and team-like behaviour...not like he's ruthlessly ‘competing’ in-car anymore.

He should take lessons from the media savvy decorum of current driver teamings such as Button/Hamilton and Vettel/Webber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

F1 and myself included have never fully recovered from the loss of this great man.

PF-MurrayWalker_1412430c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

De Hipster wrote: »
    Legard is far from my favourite member of the BBC F1 crew but like with James Allen (who I could NOT listen to another word from) the whole commentary F1 coverage issue is becoming a bit of a crass witch hunt.

I really thought that Brundle might prove me wrong and display some loyalty, etiquette and team-like behaviour...not like he's ruthlessly ‘competing’ in-car anymore.

He should take lessons from the media savvy decorum of current driver teamings such as Button/Hamilton and Vettel/Webber.

Errrr... Vettel and Webber? Media savvy? Ummm.

Brundle is quite professional on air, and in his dealings with the rest of the team. If there are rumblings he's not happy, I don't believe they're coming from him, or that he's teasing it out. You only have to listen to the commentary to hear that he's not happy with the situation. By times he gets a word in, but overall I think the first year he expected things to improve, and instead they're getting worse. As I posted elsewhere, his commentary during qualifying to Monza was telling:

On Massa's lap in Q3, every single sector:
    Legard: "He's lost time there"
    Brundle: "But it's a personal best"

Legard: "He's lost EVEN MORE time there"
    Brundle: "Another personal best, though"

Legard: "He's lost time again the final sector, there. Every sector, losing time"
    Brundle: "3 personal bests, there"

Conclusion: Legard is looking at the gap to pole, not comparing Massa's actual laps. What a muppet.

later on:
    Legard: "Hulkenberg, setting a personal best there in the first sector!"
    Brundle: "It will be, it's his first lap of the session"

Conclusion: JL is now making a point of looking for PB times on the screen, but still doesn't understand what he's looking at.

The pained exasperation in Martin's voice was almost heartbreaking to listen to. Here he is, stuck in a tiny box every weekend, trying to do a professional job while a witless, incompetent muppet talks over him every week, repeats the same thing over and over, and gets confused at the slightest incident, probably with arms flailing in the commentary booth.

Another telling moment was last year at monaco - Legard asked him "which car would you really like to drive around this circuit?" Martin paused and sounded pleased as he started the second word of his answer - only to have Legard jump in and talk over him with "the reason I ask is...." and droned on for 5 minutes. Utter utter stony silence from Martin's side of the commentary box for the next 25 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Murray Walker will be 87 on Sunday...

And I bet he'd still do a better job than Legard. As irritating as James Allen could be at times, at least he allowed Brundle to speak without pointlessly and monotonously interjecting every five seconds.

Ben Edwards seems to be the ideal replacement - and probably the only one with a reputation big enough to eradicate the endless Murray Walker comparisons. Although, if the BBC insist on giving the gig to a staff member, then David Croft would be more than tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I cant wait for them to ditch Legard. He is hopelessly incompetent at is job.

The Eurosport commentators that would do Le Mans are generally great. I dont actually know of the names being mentioned here and I cant remember what James Allen was like, though I do remember being utterly disappointed at his first race behind the mic.

EDIT:

I didnt know the BBC 5 Live guy was Croft. He is quite good.

Advertisement