Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brundle wants Legard out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Please let this happen!! I'd well believe that Brundle has that sort of influence there,he's an extremely important part of the BBC's coverage. Imho i think he's approaching Murray Walker status in terms of status and popularity. I've rarely heard F1 fans complain about him.

Legard is a tool imo,he ruins the BBC's commentary on the sport. Between sounding uneducated about the sport sometimes and cutting across Brundle with some inane observation he wrecks my head. I like Brundle,he's extremely knowledgeable about the sport,still close with many of the main players and not afraid to poke his nose in and ask the hard questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What I love about Legard is how he can cut across Brundle to say something and before he even finishes the bull he interjected with he'll say something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Heard this a while ago, the BBC motogp guys aren't great either but miles better than Legard. I hope its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

I would suggest that they draft in the guy who does the R5 commentary on the red button (I think his name is David) but to do that would split up the wonderful team of anthony davidson and the other team. I think they work very well together and I much prefer to listen to them as I watch the race, they always seem to know what they are talking about and although davidson didn't last long in the sport I get the feeling he has a more in depth knowledge of the workings behind a f1 car than brundle. That and I dont really care for brundle and especially not that stupid necklace he always wears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I despite Legard with a passion. What was wrong with James Allen? I really liked him, he knew his stuff, and he didn't sound like a monotonous drone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

brownacid wrote: »
    I would suggest that they draft in the guy who does the R5 commentary on the red button (I think his name is David) but to

I'm sure it's David Croft.

And as for Legard, I hope he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I would rather be subjected to Chinese water torture than have to listen to James Allen again. I would prefer to watch Setanta`s coverage with those two idiots than watch BBC if Allen came back. James Allen was/is hated by the F1 community for a good reasons.

I agree, Jame Allen was dire. Eurosport when they had F1 had a very good commentator in Ben Edwards. Personally I think Will Buxton ( Setanta GP2) or Martin Havin (Motor racing, Eurosport) would also be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

TheChrisD wrote: »
    What was wrong with James Allen? I really liked him, he knew his stuff, and he didn't sound like a monotonous drone.

You are joking right?

Right?

Please tell me you're joking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

smooch71 wrote: »
    You are joking right?

Right?

Please tell me you're joking

[case]the man named his son Enzo Allen [/case]

Eurosport also had a dutch guy in the late 80s/early 90s who was good. BBC might not like someone witha european accent though. John Watson used to be his co-commentator. Eurosport is excellent except for the damn breaks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Bring back Peter Collins*

*dead not alive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

@whoever quoted me and said stuff:

Well excuse me for not finding James Allen to be bad. I'd rather have him back than listen to Legard again...

De Hipster wrote: »
    [case]the man named his son Enzo Allen [/case]

I'm surprised he didn't call him Lewis Enzo Anthony Hamilton Allen

Eurosport also had a dutch guy in the late 80s/early 90s who was good. BBC might not like someone witha european accent though. John Watson used to be his co-commentator. Eurosport is excellent except for the damn breaks!!

Allard Kalif is his name :)

kmick wrote: »
    Bring back Peter Collins*

*dead not alive

Lol. He used to call Nick Heidfeld 'Nicky Heidfeld'

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Lol. He used to call Nick Heidfeld 'Nicky Heidfeld'

...the Moto mix-up!

I'm surprised he didn't call him Lewis Enzo Anthony Hamilton Allen

you forgot Fangio, Jackie 'Sir' Stewart, Brabham, Hill, Fittipaldi, Walker, Hunt...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

^
    Legard vs. Crofty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9035968.stm
    ^
    Compare Legard's inability to see what car has just crashed on screen in front of him to what Jake is capable of dealing with, live on air. (needs UK proxy)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Legard vs. Crofty

Wow forgot how night and day it was! Haven't tuned in to Legard in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Great article- how many words from Brundle are quoted in it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Legard seems like a nice guy but his commentary annoyies me. He is forever cutting across Brundle and interrupting him. The best example was in one of the races this year where he asked Brundle a question and Brundle was trying to answer but Legard kept butting in and wouldn't let him speak.

I'm not sure who should replace him. I've only heard Crofty's commentary during the practice so I can't say what he's like during qualifying and the race.

There is one guy I heard commentating on an athletics event from a few years ago on Eurosport. His name was Tim something. He was great. Although perhaps he's not enough of a petrol head to get the F1 job.

Not mad on the MotoGP guys I have to admit.

Bring back Murray Walker, the ultimate F1 commentator. :)

^
    Legard vs. Crofty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9035968.stm
    ^
    Compare Legard's inability to see what car has just crashed on screen in front of him to what Jake is capable of dealing with, live on air. (needs UK proxy)

Another of Crofts comments with added bonus of an audience :D

http://www.twitvid.com/5VF4N

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of the most annoying things Legard does is to append the words "of anyone" or, even worse, "of anyone so far" to the end of any mention of a fastest time or fastest lap, as in "Alonso has just done the fastest lap of anyone". It's completely superfluous and very, very irritating.

Get anyone from the current 5-Live crowd to replace him IMO, and if Karun Chandook doesn't get a drive next season he'd be a good choice too .. very nice guy, and is almost a walking F1 encyclopedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

can we change the title of this thread to "everyone wants Legard out"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I just think he's a bit too dull

you switch from an exciting race with 5 live to much slower Legard less interesting race

Alun wrote: »
    One of the most annoying things Legard does is QUOTE]

What I hate the most is

"Alonso from Hamilton from Vettel from Button"

or

Ferrari from McLaren from Red Bull from McLaren"

What the hell does that mean anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What I hate the most is

"Alonso from Hamilton from Vettel from Button"

or

Ferrari from McLaren from Red Bull from McLaren"

What the hell does that mean anyway?

ah come on now thats a common one in all forms of racing.

ah come on now thats a common one in all forms of racing.

Alright, I wasn't really looking for an explanation on what it means and of course I've heard it before.

I just find it very irritating when Legard says it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Ben Edwards FTW

• Advertisement

Ben Edwards FTW

Yep

Agree 100% with this

Advertisement