Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 mink escape in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

deman wrote: »
    Care to explain what's "good" about it?

It's a lose:lose situation for all concerned, the minks will hunt and kill whatever it can, there is enough "meat" to suddenly feed 5000 wild minks that are in a new environment so most of them will die from hunger.

What's good??
    You clearly in your rush to comment, by-passed comment number 9.

SeaFields wrote: »
    North America.

Whatever your opinion on fur farming (something that I'm not a fan of either) leaving these things out into the wild is disastrous for the local wildlife. If this is indeed the work of animal rights activists they need a lesson in ecology. :rolleyes:
    Cheers. I thought it was originally a Russian thing.
    All those Russian winters and their fur type coats possibly made me think of that.
    ...And indeed, I would not like to see the environment effected by their release.
    Especially 5000 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Environmental terrorism.

Those things will kill all around them. :mad:

Indeed, minks are scumbag hunters after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Biggins wrote: »
    Cheers. I thought it was originally a Russian thing.

I'm sure there's mink in that area of the world too. I believe, but am open to correction, that the mink used in the farms here are the north american mink.

No matter where its from its an alien species here so not good.

I'm sure there's mink in that area of the world too. I believe, but am open to correction, that the mink used in the farms here are the north american mink.

No matter where its from its an alien species here so not good.
    Such is the scale of the release, is there a chance a new wild growth of them could happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Think of all the animals you've ever heard about, like rhinocoruses and tigers cats and mink.

There are lots of funny animals in all this world.

But have you ever seen.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

^^

I think something just happened to Starbelgrade.

Is he near Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Think of all the animals you've ever heard about, like rhinocoruses and tigers cats and mink.

There are lots of funny animals in all this world.

But have you ever seen.......?

A Panda that is pink?:o

He really is a groovy cat, and what a gentleman, a scholar, what an acrobat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I suppose one blessing is it isn't lambing season this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Such is the scale of the release, is there a chance a new wild growth of them could happen?

I'm by no means an expert in these matters. Some alien species are more adept at adapting to new environments than others. There has being on on-going war raging against the mink for years through trapping and shooting. They nevertheless survive. While these ones are just out of a farm and so a lot will probably become road traffic kills and the like, some will survive and breed.

The war starts over...

More stuff to run over on the road. If it wasn't bad enough with all the feckin' badgers the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I'm glad they escaped but if they cause damage to the environment, that I would not be pleased to see.

They are originally a creature from Russia aren't they? :confused:

Minsk? :pac:

I've heard that the wild mink are black and those that are bred on such farms are brown . . . is this correct?

I saw a black mink last January during the really cold spell, my one and only time seeing one. They have a very curious gait, almost like they are hobbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Reminds me of a very old joke.

Q How do girls get minks?
    A The same way minks get minks.

Never heard that one before. lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ah, the poor little minky-moos! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

There are two species of Mink, the American Mink and the European Mink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Whoa, 5K of them? I thought that figure was downplayed to more like 10% of that, the farm owner on the radio this morning said it was nothing like 5K but couldn't put a precise number on it.

Letting these things out is as bad for them as it is for the countryside they're released into, and we already have a problem with proper ferrile mink, descendants of escapees in years past.
    If these guys were true environmentalists they'd have gassed the cages and killed the herd(?)...but you can't kill furry things no matter how vicious or alien they are to the local wildlife, even our native hunters apart from maybe cats or foxes are at risk from them, sometimes even humans:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/156162.stm

F*ckin idiots watching too many PETA vids on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

5000?!
    I was listening to this on the radio yesterday evening, they were saying it was 300-400 but 5000?
    Fcuking hell.
    Mink will kill everything and anything, people who keep fowl are always at risk for mink attacks.
    A few years all my chickens were wiped out, presumably by mink or pinemartins.
    This won't end well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You clearly in your rush to comment, by-passed comment number 9.

Clearly in your rush to comment you by-passed rational thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

If that many escaped, I doubt they'll make it through winter.

The adults will have no hunting skills and the shortage of food will multiply the effects.

No need to worry in my opinion.
    Mink are very territorial animals. A male mink will not tolerate another male within its territory. The territories, which tend to be long and narrow, stretch along river banks, or around the edges of lakes or marshes. Sizes vary, but they can be several miles long.

Let the chaos unfold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Heard the owner ( I think ) on the radio today. When pushed,he put the figure at about 300, which he reckons will be taken by foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Even 300 is a lot to absorb into a farming area. Some hope foxes will get them. :rolleyes:

Even 300 is a lot to absorb into a farming area. Some hope foxes will get them. :rolleyes:

They will make Glacier Minks out of them.

Maybe if the farmers get a grant from Europe they will absorb them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mink traps 35euro through the gun club or 50euro through most outdoor shops, a good way to exercise and take the dogs for a walk too, down side is you have to chain them to a tree, thieving tools will steal them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm no fan of fur farming, but whoever released thos mink cannot call themselves and animal lover, not with the amount of non-native animals they've released into the wilds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Good!

you dont like fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Where I come from, minks mean knackers.
    Lock yer doors Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Tourism Bonanza

Hunting folk with terriers travel from all over Europe to hunt mink in Donegal - B&B revival LOL

sligopark wrote: »
    Tourism Bonanza

Hunting folk with terriers travel from all over Europe to hunt mink in Donegal - B&B revival LOL

Surely Amnesty International have been informed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

My great grandaddy Sergei escape from prison camp and set up in terrible place in Ireland. To make living he start shop to compare minks.

comparethemink.com. Simples.

Advertisement