Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5000 mink escape in Donegal

Options
  • 29-09-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h1PHCOpZR8Jb1siMeZD-6Pcz-zdAD9IHL8501?docId=D9IHL8501
    Ireland hunting down thousands of escaped minks
    By SHAWN POGATCHNIK (AP) – 1 hour ago
    DUBLIN — The roads and rivers of northwest Ireland are suddenly lined with mink.
    Managers at Anderson's Mink Farm said Wednesday that many of their cages and fences were cut and opened over the weekend, freeing an estimated 5,000 animals into the wilds of County Donegal. About 28,000 others declined the invitation to bolt for freedom.
    More than 100 already have been recaptured by hunters using cage traps, while several hundred others have been run over and killed. Drivers have reported seeing groups of the farm-reared animals standing, dazzled by headlights, in the middle of busy roads.
    One of the farm's directors, Connie Anderson, blamed animal rights activists for invading the farm in the early hours of Sunday. He declined to explain why it took the farm so long to raise the public alarm.
    "These people are animal liberation terrorists and had no thought for the mink or for the damage that will be done to other wildlife in the area," Anderson said.
    Agricultural authorities warned that the surviving minks could decimate local populations of salmon, rabbits and fowl.
    Animal rights activists in Ireland have denied responsibility — but are praising whoever did it.
    "We have nothing to do with it. However, I commend whoever risked their freedom to do this as these animals have a horrendous life," said Bernie Wright, spokeswoman for Ireland's Alliance for Animal Rights.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It's interesting they're not claiming responsibility, and the farm itself didn't raise the alarm. Maybe it was down to someone leaving the locks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It's interesting they're not claiming responsibility, and the farm itself didn't raise the alarm. Maybe it was down to someone leaving the locks off.

animal rights activists apparently.

Standing by for puns....

Not really a time for puns in my opinion. It's very serious, the mink will decimate the local salmon population and other native creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Just when I was trying to think what my 5,000th post should be, this pops up

Excellent :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Environmental terrorism.

Those things will kill all around them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Not really a time for puns in my opinion. It's very serious, the mink will decimate the local salmon population and other native creatures.

point taken. I admit ignorance on the subject of minks.

edit: including how to pluralise mink!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm glad they escaped but if they cause damage to the environment, that I would not be pleased to see.

They are originally a creature from Russia aren't they? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Anyone releasing mink is an environmental vandal and should be flogged. They certainly should not try calling themselves animal rights activists. The bulk of those released will die of hunger as they don't know how to fend for themselves. Those mink that manage to figure it out cause devastation to the local wildlife. They are voracious predators that breed rapidly.

In short - just learn the consequences of your actions, and **** off if you're too stupid to know the damage you're causing to the local ecology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

the story doesn't fit well somehow. When I heard it first I thought the mink farmers might have let them out themselves, either to collect insurance or as a protest against mink farming being banned. ( When does the ban come into effect BTW??) I had not ruled out Animal rights activists either - but even the wackiest one ought to realise the damage that the mink would do to other wildlife. Then again, apparently not, as AR people were in the media today praising the action.

I think something has yet to come out in the wash here.

- FoxT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Social Disorder

[QUOTE=artvandulet]Standing by for puns....[/QUOTE]

As was I...

In truth I was really waiting for them to "get their coat"...for further inspection.

animal rights activists apparently.

The animal rights activists didn't claim responsibility though.

They're saying it's a good thing (which it's not really) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm glad they escaped but if they cause damage to the environment, that I would not be pleased to see.

They are originally a creature from Russia aren't they? :confused:

North America.

Whatever your opinion on fur farming (something that I'm not a fan of either) leaving these things out into the wild is disastrous for the local wildlife. If this is indeed the work of animal rights activists they need a lesson in ecology. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Those poor mink must be freaking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I love that name... MINK!... Mink mink mink!

They're deadly looking too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

there is thousands of minks roaming around in longford aswell, in hi-aces and the likes and selling carpets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Reminds me of a very old joke.

Q How do girls get minks?
    A The same way minks get minks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Good!

Care to explain what's "good" about it?

It's a lose:lose situation for all concerned, the minks will hunt and kill whatever it can, there isn't enough "meat" to suddenly feed 5000 wild minks that are in a new environment so most of them will die from hunger.

What's good??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I bet the animal rights lads thought that they were onto a winner when planning this stunt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Animal rights protestors unleashing 5,000 animals that aren't native to a region and that will cause god kows how much damage to the native wild life. Morons, complete and utter morons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go to a halting site in Galway and you'll find minks
    Galway folk have strange phrases

Anyway, these animal rights activists might have thought they were doing good but this is going devastate local wildlife.

I bet the animal rights lads thought that they were onto a winner when planning this stunt...

There's no evidence they did it. It actually seems somewhat likely they didn't.*

*N.B. I AM GUESSING, NOT SAYING FOR A FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Total pest to native irish birds. The mink is now in every county in Ireland due to people releasing them over the years. Another example of the stupity of the radical animal rights.

Good!

No for the love of god no. Whatever your views on fur trading letting that much mink loose is natures equivelant of opning pandorras box.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Stupid woolly headed arseholes.. it's ironic that their actions will most likely cause more damage to animals than if the mink were left in the cages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Standing by for puns.

None so far.

Fur shame, AH.

Pookah wrote: »
    None so far.

Fur shame, AH.

You should be pelted for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Pookah wrote: »
    None so far.

Fur shame, AH.

It's hard to think of a link for mink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If you ever want to hear truly scathing comments about animal rights groups and bunny huggers, go and talk to genuinely informed environmentalists and ecologists. These idiots are a scourge. Rescuing beagles is one thing. Releasing mink should be rewarded with charges of environmental terrorism and serious jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The people who did this should be hunted down and imprisoned. They needlessly will cause the deaths of many wild birds and animals as well as the minks themselves.

Advertisement