Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Music Show / RDS this week-end

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

I don't know. Do you have any figures? There must be a viable market if Louis is that keen. He's no fool when it comes to selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

madtheory wrote: »
    I don't know. Do you have any figures? There must be a viable market if Louis is that keen. He's no fool when it comes to selling.

Not to hand:)

Louis is a smart guy, but most of his artistes are not dependent on one market. That's the problem for the local producers, they are dependent on the local market.
    And that market is shrinking for lots of different reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

A Caveat.

That's Latin for a warning.

Louis Walsh is full of ****.

He's no Paul MacGuinness. He kept at it for nearly 20 years before he had his formula right. He had Jonny Logan. And where he says he failed with Jonny was listening to Jonny and not just concentrating on turning him into a teen idol/chart popstar.

Louis is not an auteur (French cinema word for directors who make everything - including the tea - when they do their films.) Louis spends a lot of money on serious people who know what they're doing - the first Boyzone album cost a million quid. That guaranteed radio level production - marketing, chart placings etc.

Louis has always been pissy about rock bands - Where a couple of hundred grand can be spent on production and marketing and they can rake in millions. The bands don't even need to be attractive.

Give Louis a young Leonard Cohen (someone in their mid to late 30s - with great songs ready made) Louis would piss it up against a wall.

There is a lucrative market for music in Ireland - that's why we still have Tower records and so many music festivals. It's worth millions. and there are successful Irish acts.

Mary Black's son's song was played to death on day time radio - so there is a market for Irish Indie rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Rockshamrover- yes, clearly Louis sells in many territories. There must be some reason why he's so keen about the Irish market... I wonder what that reason is...

krd-Ok... so where did he get all that money in the first place? And why are the Villagers not on heavy rotation? Why is the Irish music biz so amateur when there is clearly so much quality music created here?

PS, "caveat" liiterally means let (the subject) beware. Anyone who is successful has had a string of failures- persistence is the mark of the successful, as is delegation. You've agreed that the market is viable, so I'm not sure why you're knocking the point, apart from a dislike of Walsh.

Rockshamrover- yes, clearly Louis sells in many territories. There must be some reason why he's so keen about the Irish market... I wonder what that reason is...
    krd-Ok... so where did he get all that money in the first place?

Albert Reynolds son - the guy who owns tri-pod. His rich daddy set him up with millions. Louis came along with a proposition that would at least break even. Lot's of forgettable UK chart dross just breaks even - some goes into profit - mostly it just breaks even. Albert Reynolds used to be in the showband business - along with Paul Brewer - or Cowboy Paul as he was known in them days (he's half Apache - or so they used to say)

And why are the Villagers not on heavy rotation? Why is the Irish music biz so amateur when there is clearly so much quality music created here?

Because no one wants to listen to bed wetter acoustic guitar music at lunch time. The music makes people think too much - like - has someone wee'd on this sandwich, type thoughts.
    PS, "caveat" liiterally means let (the subject) beware.

Thank you mister Brainac - for correcting my Latin grammar, or whatever. Thank you for making me looking like a dick in front of everybody. I suppose, you've scored some points on some point scoring thing - i hope you enjoy those points....those points you've earned making me look like a dick - don't worry, I don't feel so bad - I don't give a flying fcuk about Latin grammar or any other grammar.

And where the fcuk did you learn Latin anyhow - are you one of those priesthood drop outs - they kicked out for not being pervy enough.
    Anyone who is successful has had a string of failures- persistence is the mark of the successful, as is delegation. You've agreed that the market is viable, so I'm not sure why you're knocking the point, apart from a dislike of Walsh.

Yes, but Louis never had a U2, or Sinead O'Connor, Van Morrison or Thin Lizzy - - Can you whistle a single tune from a Louis act? And it's not like like Louis was being avant garde in producing acts with unwhistleable tunes.

There is a very viable market in Ireland - people are making money from this stuff. Just --- no one is booking an unknown Irish Indie act to play their weddings and funerals etc. But some country bunkles will pay a few grand for the 'He drinks tequilla and ****s his sister' brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

He's keen on every market. He's a smart businessman. I doubt he'd go bankrupt if he never sold another record in Ireland. This is a tiny market in comparison to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

krd wrote: »

Albert Reynolds son - the guy who owns tri-pod. His rich daddy set him up with millions. Louis came along with a proposition that would at least break even. Lot's of forgettable UK chart dross just breaks even - some goes into profit - mostly it just breaks even. Albert Reynolds used to be in the showband business - along with Paul Brewer - or Cowboy Paul as he was known in them days (he's half Apache - or so they used to say)

Because no one wants to listen to bed wetter acoustic guitar music at lunch time. The music makes people think too much - like - has someone wee'd on this sandwich, type thoughts.

Thank you mister Brainac - for correcting my Latin grammar, or whatever. Thank you for making me looking like a dick in front of everybody. I suppose, you've scored some points on some point scoring thing - i hope you enjoy those points....those points you've earned making me look like a dick - don't worry, I don't feel so bad - I don't give a flying fcuk about Latin grammar or any other grammar.

And where the fcuk did you learn Latin anyhow - are you one of those priesthood drop outs - they kicked out for not being pervy enough.

Yes, but Louis never had a U2, or Sinead O'Connor, Van Morrison or Thin Lizzy - - Can you whistle a single tune from a Louis act? And it's not like like Louis was being avant garde in producing acts with unwhistleable tunes.

There is a very viable market in Ireland - people are making money from this stuff. Just --- no one is booking an unknown Irish Indie act to play their weddings and funerals etc. But some country bunkles will pay a few grand for the 'He drinks tequilla and ****s his sister' brigade.

Just to clarify a couple of errors John Reynolds who owns Tripod is NOT Albert Reynolds son, he is his nephew, also Boyzones first album did not cost 1 million !!!!!

woodsdenis wrote: »

Just to clarify a couple of errors John Reynolds who owns Tripod is NOT Albert Reynolds son, he is his nephew, also Boyzones first album did not cost 1 million !!!!!

Very sorry.

John Reynolds is a nephew of Albert Reynolds. He had no access to the Reynolds family money....and he start life selling penny apples.

John Reynolds was raised on turf sandwiches, wrapped in old newspaper because his family couldn't afford bread.

Any stories you might hear about John Reynolds acquiring the old Harcourt street station from the Irish government under favourable conditions due to his family connections are untrue. Similarly any accusations of John Reynolds being given favourable financing opportunities by the Irish banking community because of his family connections are also untrue.

John Reynolds simply worked hard. Something too many Irish people are unwillingly to do. They all want to be managers. They don't want to work.

John Reynolds worked as a shoeless messenger boy for a local butcher. He went without shoes because he was saving his money. When he'd saved enough money, he bought the old Harcourt street station and turned it into a success.

The old butcher John used to work for still just has his butcher shop - while his messenger boy has his finger in the hole of every pie in the country.

woodsdenis wrote: »

Louis said in an interview before it was a million. But Louis says lots of things.

It was probably much much less -BUT

I think the deal on the first album was the production people got everything. We don't have it in Ireland, where you have companies who can gaurantee a top ten single but you do in Ireland and the US.

The charts mean less and less. But there was a time when you could buy all the essentials to make it top ten.

You probably still can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenomania

Xenomania can probably definitely produce you a hit. But your only input may be a touched up photo of your boyband and the money to promote the record.

Xenomania will probably want the lion's share of the royalties. You may reach number one - have your "band" on ITV - but you may not break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Hi Paul,
    To be honest I'm not sure how it went! I was busy talking to a lot of people - maybe only 5% or so will turn into something concrete?

Yes I was struck about the amount of teenagers there , they made up a large percentage of the crowd. That said I did get to speak to some good potentials clients.

The expense part I'll only be able to gauge that in the next few months. Have to say I did find the Hop Presss staff very helpful from the outset and thought they ran the show very smoothly.
    The Exihbitors seem to be well down from previous years !
    Overall I was happy to be there I think Bluebird Studios needed that extra push on exposure.
    Lets hope there's some reward.
    -Dec.

I bet you could have bought yourself a nice Neve pre with what it cost to put on ?

I think 5% will be too ambitious a target for results too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Thank you for making me looking like a dick in front of everybody.

That's two of yez good at that so ....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Mary Black's son's song was played to death on day time radio - so there is a market for Irish Indie rock.

Yes however Mary Blacks husband owns Dara Records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

The Villagers are a good example of yet another top class Irish band that you'll rarely hear on peak time FM.

Have to disagree. Today FM has been playing Villagers songs loads over the last month or so

dav nagle wrote: »
    Yes however Mary Blacks husband owns Dara Records.

It's hardly EMI.

Yeah, and what's'face Black probably got a leg up being Mary Blacks son. Ireland is a country full of advantaged and disadvantage people. When it comes to nepotism the place is brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

the entire industry is based on nepotism and who you know. this is not a big shock to us, is it?

Advertisement