Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's you favorite part of the Christmas dinner?

Options
  • 28-09-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

The fact that I don't have to make it for another 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

cooltown wrote: »
    its not part of the christmas dinner but i do love the turkey sambos on christmas night with real butter,cranberrry sauce and plenty of salt on them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

My Mum cooks the ham the night before, to save time the next day - invariably one or all of us will fall in the door at half one, spot the ham and make doorstep sandwiches. We used to try to hide the mangled ham from our poor Mum until 3 years ago when she ended up joining in to soak up the brandy!

So that's my favourite part, the sneaky night before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Looking at the overflowing plate wondering what part of the plate to start with. Thats the best bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

second and third helpings :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Stuffing!! yummy nummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Brussels Sprouts, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my god my mums christmas dinner is UNREAL! I love all of it but i especially look forward to her cheesy garlic potatoes! Layers of potato, and grated cheese and then she pours cream and garlic salt all over it, tops it off with more cheese and into the oven - it comes out golden brown on the top and the cream has mixed in with the garlic salt and the cheese to make a gorgeous sauce.......oh dear god DIVINE!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Brussels Sprouts, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

+1.

I love sprouts when they're done in the water off the ham. I'd eat a pot of them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Good idea about boiling sprouts in water from Ham - I must try that this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Stuffing!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Kdylass wrote: »
    Good idea about boiling sprouts in water from Ham - I must try that this year

Trust me,you'll be amazed at the taste difference. My ma' has been cooking them that way since i was a kid and i've been doing them that way for years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Stuffing definitely the stuffing. My mum does a normal breadcrumb stuffing and a delicious sausagemeat stuffing . oh. my. god.

my brothers and i do the sneaky night before eating on that! My mouth is watering at the memory of it.

and +1 to the turkey and cranberry sandwiches! yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

The ham rolls that night in front of a family film. A couple of years ago I got smart and started buying those self-bake demi baguettes for Christmas night. Perfectly fresh bread. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I actually hate Christmas dinner, I hate Sunday dinners/roasts etc, not a fan of meat either. So I generally just eat roast potatoes & some of the veg which is nice.
    We have a prawn cocktail to start & I like that bit.

Dessert is my favourite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I do some stuffing separate because I don't eat meat. Love it with mushy peas, mashed potatoes,carrots and brussel sprouts.. YUM Soul food.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

harr wrote: »
    its not part of the christmas dinner but i do love the turkey sambos on christmas night with real butter,cranberrry sauce and plenty of salt on them.:)

You sir/madam are talkin' my language.

Anytime I'm out with friends in the run up to Christmas I'm forever talking about the sandwich later on that night after the dinner. It's purely awesome. Washed down with a nice cup of coffee does the job. Ain't nothing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The sandwiches that I make with the leftovers. Better than the dinner itself, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

All of it,including the evening sandwiches,only difference is we have goose,duck etc and potato stuffing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

me - love it all and the fact that we space it out throughout the day.

Starters around 2, Mains around 4:30 and dessert whenever we get the munchies again. Followed of course by the obligatory sambos later on. hubbie thought we were mad having our dinner like this but now he wouldn't have it any other way says he can now enjoy his whole dinner

Just wondering has anyone ever tried the bread soaked in the gravy like they once mentioned in "Friends"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

I love it all.. but not all at the same time, ill have the starter of prawn cocktail, then when everyone else is piling the plates with everything, i like to just have the Ham, mash and sausage stuffing with gravy , then after a while while everyone is tuckin into desert ill have the turkey, roasties, bread stuffing and cranberry sauce because i dont like the trifle my mam makes.

Nothing can beat the sambo's after tho, Ham, lakeshore honey and mustard and wats left of the sausage stuffing if any.
    on xmas eve i love to cook my spiced beef early and that does for sambos for xmas eve and a few days after aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I'm a vegetarian so Christmas dinner is completely wasted on me. I like stuffing though but that's not really a Christmas thing. I usualy make something up or last year I had something yummy from M&S.

I know it's not the question you asked but my favourite part of Christmas dinner is the silliness. Pulling crackers, wearing silly hats, playing with the stupid cracker 'presents' and hearing Dad entertain us with some terrible jokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Bread Sauce.....
    Glaze on the ham
    Stuffing
    Turkey Gravy....oh and Turkey
    Actually im forgetting the roast potatoes
    Christmas Pud!!!

This could go on....

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    me - love it all and the fact that we space it out throughout the day.

Starters around 2, Mains around 4:30 and dessert whenever we get the munchies again. Followed of course by the obligatory sambos later on. hubbie thought we were mad having our dinner like this but now he wouldn't have it any other way says he can now enjoy his whole dinner

Just wondering has anyone ever tried the bread soaked in the gravy like they once mentioned in "Friends"

Xmas Dinner ALL Day..........TIP OF THE HAT!!!!

Id introduce that to my home only we kill each other enough for a comparably short Dinner :D Its the little things from home that I love

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Has to be the turkey and stuffing sangitches afterwards with a can of coke and bag of tayto. NYOM NYOM :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

it has to be Christmas Eve from about 6 p.m. onwards - meeting friends and family in local - then heading home about eight to attack the hang sangers and having one for the road until about midnight. Christmas day is such an anti-climax after christmas eve - just the oul dinner to look forward to.

Christmas Eve is the biznez. :D

oh god ya, the traditional Turkey Sandwich on Christmas night - White Bread - must be processed bread from the shop (no healthy sh*t), loads of mayonaise, cranberry sauce, white turkey (the white slices you hid earlier in the day at the back of the fridge for the specific purpose of your sandwich), and stuffing, washed down with an ice cold glass of full fat milk. Definitely a christmas tradition. Sandwiches made on brown healthy bread are called "traitor to Christmas tradition" sandwiches in our house and gets thrown into the fire on sight. :p:p:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Stuffing definitely the stuffing. My mum does a normal breadcrumb stuffing and a delicious sausagemeat stuffing . oh. my. god.

my brothers and i do the sneaky night before eating on that! My mouth is watering at the memory of it.

and +1 to the turkey and cranberry sandwiches! yum

I agree to everything in this quote, especially the part about making my mouth water, haha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Since getting married i've taken over the cooking duites for christmas and the 2 highlights for me are my honey baked ham ( steeped, bolied, water changed, and baked ) which takes ages in cooking and preperation and that its my bread sauce, recipe from my mother and reminds me of christmas growing up at home

• Advertisement

Bread Sauce.....
    Glaze on the ham
    Stuffing
    Turkey Gravy....oh and Turkey
    Actually im forgetting the roast potatoes
    Christmas Pud!!!

This could go on....

what is the point of bread sauce? does everybody except myself love it - its just basically bread and butter soaked in milk.. or is it something different. I don't see the attraction.

Advertisement