Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kestrel & female Hen Harrier (was - Can anyone identify these raptors?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Kess73 wrote: »
    In defence of Srameen, he has never come across as condescending to me, and his original comment that people reacted to, did contain the winking smiley which suggests his tone was humourous/tongue in cheek.

+1

It's easy to mistake being authorititive with condescension on the Interwebs. This especially happens when one party is being corrected.

fwiw it's a Kestrel due to the direction of the striation of the feathers on the breast. The PF pattern runs across and the Kestrel's runs down the breast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

tricky D wrote: »
    +1

It's easy to mistake being authorititive with condescension on the Interwebs. This especially happens when one party is being corrected.

fwiw it's a Kestrel due to the direction of the striation of the feathers on the breast. The PF pattern runs across and the Kestrel's runs down the breast.
    That holds true for adult peregrine (ie barring on breast). However juvenile peregrines have vertical streaking which is in similar to vertical spotting/streaking of Kestrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

There’s a lot of people with differing ideas, thoughts ,interests & knowledge I would encourage people to post & not be worried what others say or remark so long as it remain civil , to learn & share news ,views & knowledge discussion is surely partly the point & with that comes differing opinions etc, its like the foraging or mushroom threads.

I liked seeing that posters were starting to take part in the outdoors, I believe the countryside is a place a lot of people have lost touch with during the past few years , if its to be valued then I like to read of posters who are starting to take an interest by getting out & enjoying the natural harvest or diverse environment that is to be found.

Trying to identify various species & learn along the way , I hate the thought of most people only experiencing the countryside & nature from a car window, book or computer its not a parkland museum it’s a living breathing ever-changing landscape that’s part of the natural heritage for all people .

Ask questions post your own ideas & thoughts or photographs & expect some to agree & others to disagree, whatever else don’t be put off getting involved & post because it’s a forum that hopefully everyone can take part in if they so wish
    We have had Hen harriers on our grounds for the past 10 years & would agree that it’s a female hen harrier & a kestrel however its good people threw a few ideas about before the general consensus was reached. :)

Advertisement