Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Paralysis/Hallucinations.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I've been getting this since I was a lad. sometimes just as I'm nodding off it feels like air starts shooting out my ears and it feels like I'm slipping off my bed. every so often it's really vivid, just like real life. I can see and move around. it's dam cool, I've had it last for seems like an hour, other times it's short.

other times I feel this crazy awful little man on my bed either biting the back of my neck or sucking my forehead... weird stuff.

2005 I call my miracle year :D I haven't been able to attain episodes as strong as I was getting that year.. I had one were my slipping out of bed was more like floating out my window, I floated over my house and landed in my front garden, from there I could walk around like real life only run really fast and fly!

I've been experimenting with different diets since trying to find what food it was that was making my episodes so vivid and without luck. :(

these days its just a fleeting few moments with poor to no vision or the "old hag" episodes which I find really annoying, though I can knock myself out of them fast.

Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

RichieC wrote: »
    I've been getting this since I was a lad. sometimes just as I'm nodding off it feels like air starts shooting out my ears and it feels like I'm slipping off my bed. every so often it's really vivid, just like real life. I can see and move around. it's dam cool, I've had it last for seems like an hour, other times it's short.

other times I feel this crazy awful little man on my bed either biting the back of my neck or sucking my forehead... weird stuff.

2005 I call my miracle year :D I haven't been able to attain episodes as strong as I was getting that year.. I had one were my slipping out of bed was more like floating out my window, I floated over my house and landed in my front garden, from there I could walk around like real life only run really fast and fly!

I've been experimenting with different diets since trying to find what food it was that was making my episodes so vivid and without luck. :(

these days its just a fleeting few moments with poor to no vision or the "old hag" episodes which I find really annoying, though I can knock myself out of them fast.

Crazy stuff.

You seem to enjoy these episodes :-P

What you describe sounds more like lucid dreaming and astral projection (the psychophysiological kind, not the paranormal kind!) rather than sleep paralysis, except for the old hag part. It sounds like great craic, though!

What you describe sounds more like lucid dreaming and astral projection (the psychophysiological kind, not the paranormal kind!) rather than sleep paralysis, except for the old hag part. It sounds like great craic, though!

Well I also am a black belt lucid dreamer :D It is much different in the sense that these only happen as I'm nodding off and the "world" isn't as malleable as it is in my lucid dreams. plus I don't get the air shooting out my ears.. whatever the feck that is. :pac:

yes, I really do enjoy them, I wish i could get back my 2005 skills, though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Have any of you ever taken ecstasy?

I took it when I was a teenager, a good few tablets over the course of a few weekends but then I started having these really scary dreams, they were progressively getting worse over a few nights, I got so terrified that I would literally hate going to sleep at night, I had to ask my boyfriend to stay awake because I was so scared and I was nodding off, having a scary dream and waking up terrified, it got to the stage where I was waking up around 20 times in an hour after 20 completely different nightmares.

There was one where I was in a car crash and there were all these hooded people outside the car making these scary noises and trying to get into the car but then I woke up and I could still see the shape of the car around me....I was trying to open the window of this imaginary car to get out, I was sitting up freaking out to my boyfriend but I could still see the car and was panicing.

The electricity had gone off that night aswell so we couldn't put a light on so my boyfriend was kind of waving a lighter in my face to try to get me to snap out of it.

It was just absolutely horrible and the nightmares/hallucinations lasted for weeks after I took the pills, never took ecstasy again after that!!

Edit:Sorry Horse box just saw your post now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

RichieC wrote: »
    and it feels like I'm slipping off my bed.

I didn't relate to any of your post except this part. That what i always feel during my bouts of it.

I enjoy them.

• Advertisement

Fago! wrote: »
    I didn't relate to any of your post except this part. That what i always feel during my bouts of it.

yea the only place I read others having the air in their ears is the new age muck sites, they call it the vibes.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Of the good few times it has happened to me I only recall about 2 or 3 of those times where I sensed something or saw "someone" in the room with me. When I do it is only for less than a few seconds.

The one that scared me the most was when I was just nodding off, and suddenly I became really dizzy, opened my eyes and there was this bright face right up to mine looking at me. Everything became extremely loud, thousands of sounds at once, it sounded like a a building collapsing or something. Anyway, I only saw remained like this for about 2 seconds when I threw the covers over my head and screamed "who's there?". Took me a few minutes to realize what had happened. Terrified me. I don't know too much about this subject but on that occasion I wasn't paralyzed, I could move almost immediately.

Another time was when I woke up after nodding off again, unable to move I was just lying there thinking for a second whats going on? I sensed something to the left foot of my bed and could barely make out a tall black skinny silhouette. I looked at it for a few seconds, felt no longer than 5 or 10 but it kind of just faded as my eyes adjusted. It didn't seem like just messed up vision, I could definitely sense something there. It didn't make me feel too scared that time for some reason.

When you guys get sleep paralysis when nodding off does it initially feel pretty painful, or head wrecking like you're extremely drunk or dizzy before you realize the situation?

To previous posts about screaming waking the whole house up, yeah I've done this a few times too and also at friends houses it is pretty embarrassing at first. I did it once when staying at a hotel in the same room as my parents and brother, when the phone alarm went off I started screaming my head off. My parents just made fun of me for a few weeks so it was pretty funny in the end ;)

I usually don't feel drunk; just groggy and kind of unaware. Then again, I've never been drunk before.

That thing you said about the thousand sounds, it's kind of similar to my episode when I heard the numbers.

Someone else mentioned blasting in your ears; I literally just got that a few nights ago, a few nights in a row. I have a feeling I've had it before, but I was probably just more aware of it recently.

I reckon the sleep paralysis will die down again about two weeks or so after my exams have finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ms.Odgeynist

I suffer from sleep paralysis on a regular basis and I can honestly say it never gets any easier.
    I am curious about those who say they scream the house down though, as I cannot move anything during such an episode, including vocal chords.

These are terrifying experiences. I have never hallucinated during paralysis, but the fear of not being able to move, or wake up is horrific. I can hear myself trying to scream, but all that comes out is a very low groan that I can hear only slightly, so I presume its inaudible to anyone else.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy

I suffer from sleep paralysis on a regular basis and I can honestly say it never gets any easier.
    I am curious about those who say they scream the house down though, as I cannot move anything during such an episode, including vocal chords.

These are terrifying experiences. I have never hallucinated during paralysis, but the fear of not being able to move, or wake up is horrific. I can hear myself trying to scream, but all that comes out is a very low groan that I can hear only slightly, so I presume its inaudible to anyone else.

How often do you get it, and how long does it last? Are you usually fully aware?

My girlfriend says she can sometimes hear muffled moans, as if I'm trying to scream but can't, but that's more than likely due to nightmares I'm just not remembering than due to SP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 babz

I also suffer from Sleep paralysis, it happened last night actually!!
    I would usually have one maybe once every week or two! They're scary as I feel like I am screaming but yet I'm not making any noise! The one I had last night made me feel as if I was being strangled and I was trying my hardest to put my hands up to my neck but I physically couldn't, I then dreamt (or what ever you'd call it) that I had got up to turn the light on an the light bulb smashed. After a few minutes when I could finally move I jumped up and realized that the light bulb was in one piece :confused:
    It generally happens to me in times of stress and it's never happened when I stay in other peoples houses. It's starting to worry me after seeing the film 'Insidious' although I know that is just fiction...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 suzy_2005ie

I experinced it a few days ago and I couldnt lift my head off the pillow for about 5 seconds. I knew what it was, its amazing how that happens. It was just after i knew that i was in a dream and i wanted to wake up but couldnt. I think that upset me and thats why i experinced not being able to move when i woke up.

Well, its happened to me 3 times in the past 7 days and its not very nice.

It happens just as Im about to sleep, when suddenly everything gets really disorientating. My body goes to sleep but Im still semi conscious. My body just locks up and I cant do anything, not even breathe and I have to fight as hard as I can to try just wiggle my head and snap out of it. Usually Im sort of dreaming while awake if that makes sense. I can hear things or sometimes see things like a dream but Im awake (its hard to explain). Like the other night every time it kept happening I would hear something, like lots of dogs barking or cars driving around as if I was on a street. The first time it happened this week there was like spinning shapes and lights on the roof while some lad talked about cinema and movie awards or something.

Anyway, its pretty scary and usually Im wrecked when it happens so every time I fall into it and snap out of it I take a short 1 minute breather and try fall back to sleep, but it happens all over and I repeat this process for a long time because I just want to go to sleep! I have now discovered it will only go away when I get up, turn on the light and splash water on my face.

I keep panicking too, and my body goes into these spaz attacks like Im having a seizure, flopping all over the bed like an idiot but I just cant help it. Im pretty sure I fell out of my bed too while paralyzed having one of these "seizure" incidents and tried really hard to overcome it and climb back in. But its hazy, for all I know that could of been part of the dream I was experiencing.

A few times I thought of just letting it continue while I lay there and hope I really fall asleep, but it sort of builds up inside and makes me afraid to do that so I have to try snap myself out of it.

I don't know why it has happened so much in the past week :(

That seems pretty nasty, cocoshovel. I've never had it nearly that bad. Do you find it gets worse during times of stress?

Hmmmm, well I don't think I'm particularly over stressed recently. Just the same as always, if anything I'm feeling better and less stressed over the past few months.

I find it does become worse when I am very sick and unwell (have had a very extreme incident of terrors in hospital as a young teen once and at home while sick)
    I have discovered that if I am to apply Nose spray (for allergies) or ear drops before I go to bed it brings it upon me. I don't know why they bring it on but I'm never using them again before bed lol.

Not sure if this is related but back between November 2010 and May 2011 I suffered from heavy night sweats every single night. Doctors couldn't find the cause of it but they just kind of went away recently. My body is very strange in the way it treats me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Happens to me a lot. I've gotten used to it, but was very scared the first time it happened. Usually I am unable to move, and I can hear voices in the room, whispering. I can't make out what they're saying most of the time. I've also had feelings of people being in the room with me, and have seen shadows. It's scary if you don't know what's going on, but I've become OK with it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Fago! wrote: »
    For some reason the scene in Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkiban, where Harry's on t'train and the dementors are givin' him a good oul demetor baitin' is kinda like my Sleep Paralysis! I can't move but I'm awake, hear that echo-ey woman screaming sometimes (rare though), it feels like i'm being pulled away by a sort of demonic presence (like the scene in Harry Potter where they're sucking the life out of him) and I feel kinda sad like I'll never be Jolly again (again like HP).

Finally! (after 5 pages) - this is the same as what I get.

I've never seen any Harry Potter Film or read any of the books (I know,I know) but this is exactly what happens me.

I feel like their is an evil presence in the room and then i feel my body getting dragged out of the bed and dragged up the bedroom walls, usually towards one of the top corners or the window. Although once or twice I felt like my body was just been dragged along the ground too. As I said, never seen the films but this sounds like what you explained.

I never see anything like other people here have mentioned seeing figures and faces,I just feel like there is a hand around my throat.

I usually get a cold chill just before it happens and can feel coldness against my back and neck.

I've never been dragged out of the room in the dream, its like my body cannot be dragged through the top corner of the room but I feel like I'm been yanked repeatedly (like if you tried to pull something large out through a small hole, you'd give it a tug a few times to see if you could force it through).

Sometimes in the dreams I'm 'in' my body and I can feel my back against the bedroom walls and my head hitting the ceiling etc (the whole dream in in frst person view) and other times i'm standing in the room doorway watching my body getting dragged up the walls by this invisible presence.

babz wrote: »
    I also suffer from Sleep paralysis, it happened last night actually!!
    I would usually have one maybe once every week or two! They're scary as I feel like I am screaming but yet I'm not making any noise! The one I had last night made me feel as if I was being strangled and I was trying my hardest to put my hands up to my neck but I physically couldn't, I then dreamt (or what ever you'd call it) that I had got up to turn the light on an the light bulb smashed. After a few minutes when I could finally move I jumped up and realized that the light bulb was in one piece :confused:
    It generally happens to me in times of stress and it's never happened when I stay in other peoples houses. It's starting to worry me after seeing the film 'Insidious' although I know that is just fiction...

I also experience this, in an effort to wake myself from the experience I try to scream and shout which to me is loud and clear but to my wife in the bed beside me it is inaudible, although in the more recent episodes she could hear me moaning/groaning etc.

I also experience the crazy night sweats that a few people mentioned.

All of the above first starting happening to me as a teenager and I've had the same dream experience 1000's of times since.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

So glad I found this thread. I've suffered for years and NO ONE I know has ever experienced anything similar.

I've had it all. "People" in my room, coming in the windows, standing watching me, strangers, people I know, snakes; I even once had a ninja type character pin me to the bed which was particularly scary.

I've been able to scream, not been able to scream, I've spoken to them (never got a response though!), woken people up, floated over the bed, sank into the bed, the whole gamut really.

I'm just used to it now, but it was terrifying in the beginning. It started when I was about 15 or 16 and is still going on now and I'm 37!

I had an episode last night of a figure beside my bed reaching for me with black gloved hands, but I just told myself it wasn't real and went back to sleep. It does still scare me sometimes but only rarely.

Anyway, glad it's not only me, although I am sorry thay others are going through it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

had another one of these dream about two weeks ago, for the first time the other "person" want to harm me in the dream.

Thing is though when I woke it wasnt as scary as before, thanks mainly to this thread.

thanks to all posters

Advertisement