Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9/11: What do you think happened? **Read mod note post #1**

Options
  • 26-09-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

I really think that it might be beneficial if we had a thread where regular posters could simply state what exactly they believe.

They dont have to give the reasons why they believe it or any evidence to support there claims but it would be nice if we knew exactly what people believe.

Yekahs: This thread is for putting forward what you believe happened on September 11th 2001.

It is not for; Discussion of those beliefs or questioning of someone else's beliefs. If you wish to do that, please use one of the exsisting discussion threads, or start a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I believe the majority of the official version. However, I do believe that mistakes made on that day by the American Government in responding to the attacks may have been covered up. I also believe that the American government may have used the situation for their own purposes (invasion of Iraq)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I believe they (US Intelligence) had prior knowledge of an attack, and that a conscious decision not to act on it in a timely fashion was made in the knowledge that such an attempted attack would gain them public support for the occupation of territories in the middle east.

edit- just to make it clearer, I don't necessarily think that on the morning of the attacks, that the US was aware it was about to happen.. rather that they failed to act on the intel they had prior to 9/11. They knew something was going to happen, but perhaps not what did eventually happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

^^^
    What Paddy said.

Also though, I do not think it beyond the realms of believability that intelligence agencies had prior knowledge that it would occur, and ignored it either through malice or negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I believe the majority of the official version. However, I do believe that mistakes made on that day by the American Government in responding to the attacks may have been covered up. I also believe that the American government may have used the situation for their own purposes (invasion of Iraq)

Yup this it for me too. They could easily have covered up stupidity or ineptitude but I've seen nothing that shows they were involved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

edit- just to make it clearer, I don't necessarily think that on the morning of the attacks, that the US was aware it was about to happen.. rather that they failed to act on the intel they had prior to 9/11. They knew something was going to happen, but perhaps not what did eventually happen

This is exactly my view. What country sits back after such threats been made by a extreame terrorist group? Could have done something to try and stop it atleast.
    Wouldnt have been such a suprised if they had prepared which imo is a disgrace from a heavily armed country like America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i believe the official story. to think otherwise is ludicrous, mostly because you just couldn't keep secrets that are that big for so long. everything comes into the light eventually and when you're talking about a massive terrorist attack, the cover-up can't survive nine years. too many people would put the pieces together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

i believe the official story. to think otherwise is ludicrous, mostly because you just couldn't keep secrets that are that big for so long. everything comes into the light eventually and when you're talking about a massive terrorist attack, the cover-up can't survive nine years. too many people would put the pieces together.

Agreed. Plus the glaring absense of any credible alternative theory should say it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boltofourfaith

The 9/11 conspiracy theorists are lunatics.

The evidence is overwhelming that 19 hijackers took control of the four planes which crashed into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and at Shanksville.

The only way it could be possible that there was a conspiracy is if the civilian air traffic controllers went along with the plot, the pilots, crews and passengers of the planes agreed to be killed in the crashes, their families were part of it, tens of thousands of people who lived through the attacks, who were in the towers must have had inside knowledge about explosives and wires rigged to structure and set to blow, the firemen and police who were killed in the attacks agreed to die rather than try dismantle the miles of cables and the thousands of squibs inside the buildings, that the thousands and thousands of rescue workers who were involved in the clean up were co-conspirators and that the entire US and world news media had inside knowledge.

The 9/11 Truth Movement is a collection of mentally ill paranoids, kooks, weirdos and losers.

The 9/11 Truth Movement is a collection of mentally ill paranoids, kooks, weirdos and losers.
    shill%282%29.jpg

To be fair as much as I've had some good debates on the topic in here there are many out there in cyberspace who believe things that would seem far fetched in a novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

The 9/11 conspiracy theorists are lunatics.

The evidence is overwhelming that 19 hijackers took control of the four planes which crashed into the Twin Towers.

Some of the hijackers are saying they weren't on any planes that day, the fbi say they were, I don't know who to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

nullzero wrote: »
    Oh get off the fence will you?
    meglome wrote: »
    To be fair as much as I've had some good debates on the topic in here there are many out there in cyberspace who believe things that would seem far fetched in a novel.
    uprising2 wrote: »
    Some of the hijackers are saying they weren't on any planes that day, the fbi say they were, I don't know who to believe.

He wont be able to reply to you lads, 2 posts on his account and he is calling people Mentally ill and losers, I somehow sense he didn't come here to discuss anything so he is banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

America profited greatly for their part in ww2! like pearl harbour the attacks in New York gave them massive support to launch their war of terror! :p Just by chance they now have bases in prime locations and vast resources at their disposal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

seannash wrote: »
    I really think that it might be beneficial if we had a thread where regular posters could simply state what exactly they believe.

They dont have to give the reasons why they believe it or any evidence to support there claims but it would be nice if we knew exactly what people believe.

So what do you believe?, it would be nice if we knew exactly what you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

9/11 was done by muslims because they cannot stand seeing people having a democratic society and freedom.

Most muslim nations are based on fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

uprising2 wrote: »
    So what do you believe?, it would be nice if we knew exactly what you believe.
    I believe that terrorists hijacked planes,crashed them into the WTC and the Pentagon.
    This caused the towers to collapse.
    I believe the report on WTC7,that it was also brought down by fire.

Basically i believe the report,the only niggling doubt is whether or not the goverment knew about it specifically(and by that i mean,its gonna happen on that day and not just that there was attacks planned on some day.and also if it was going to involve planes specifically)

Im sure they knew that there was going to be an attack somewhere down the line but im questioning whether they know specifics

Now Uprising id appreciate if you replied like i did so we can find out wha you believe.

Gotta admit i thought a few more CT subscribers would have chimed in with there beliefs on this one at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

I believe that terrorists hijacked planes,crashed them into the WTC and the Pentagon.
    This caused the towers to collapse.
    I believe the report on WTC7,that it was also brought down by fire.

Basically i believe the report,the only niggling doubt is whether or not the goverment knew about it specifically(and by that i mean,its gonna happen on that day and not just that there was attacks planned on some day.and also if it was going to involve planes specifically)

Im sure they knew that there was going to be an attack somewhere down the line but im questioning whether they know specifics

Now Uprising id appreciate if you replied like i did so we can find out wha you believe.

Gotta admit i thought a few more CT subscribers would have chimed in with there beliefs on this one at this stage

+1 to this on my belief. From my building experience in engineering I am very interested in the design of WTC and I am astounded how many people think that they were built like all office buildings. This couldnt be further from the truth and costs of construction in the 70's was the reason for this.

pict55.jpg

Those trusses with the bolt connection were the only thing stopping the outer coulumn and inner core columns from buckling. There is no other example to compare this collapse to as most buildings have a concrete core. This is my belief.

Those trusses with the bolt connection were the only thing stopping the outer coulumn and inner core columns from buckling. There is no other example to compare this collapse to as most buildings have a concrete core. This is my belief.

It's one of the things that makes me believe the NIST report. That those (7 inch in size, as far I remember) truss seats could easily weaken with the heat enough to fail. No need for molten steel or 1300 degree temps as many CT's would suggest.

easynote wrote: »
    Does anyone actually believe that the plane crashes actually brought the towers down? That the heat of the explosions caused by the crashes all of a sudden just crumbled all that steal that the towers where made of, or what? I don't get it.
    read the thread,plenty believe it.in fact i would be what the majority of people believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think the 9/11 muslim group based iattacks were carried out by Al queda an extremist afganistan mainly because of the American presence in Saudi Arabia hence the use of mainly Saudi passport holders.

I think that it was an attempt to destabilize the saudi government so that Osama bin Laden could become ruler of SA thereby controlling access to mecca which every muslim must visit at least once in their life.

If little else it would cause the US to attack a muslim Country like Afganstan and this would be a rallying point for other extremist muslims. also pakistan would be a great place to recruit cheap mercenaries for the cause.

Also its got to be pretty boring living in a cave if you are a billionare. Everyone knows the name Osama bin Laden so I think there was a egotistical element to it too.

So basically it happened as reported but with a couple of omissions to to prevent the us airforce and security apparatus looking too incompetent.

Sorry, I am not a veteran on this forum. If you are so tired about this discussion why dont you discuss something else, or/and bring something new into it yourself.
    i started the thread because it was becoming very unclear as to what people believe happened.some weeks people say it was controlled explosions,then they come on and cliam there was no planes.some say no plane hit the pentagon or that it was a missile.

because so many theories are thrown about its hard to pin down people on there beliefs so i started this thread so people could openly express what they believe without having to defend it(although that hasnt happened)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭easynote

meglome wrote: »
    Maybe we can start with what you think happened? It's what the thread is about after all.

I believe there was a special paint being painted on the walls which had a certain type of explosives in it that go off at a certain temperature. It was painted on the walls about a week before 9/11 through out the whole length of the twintowers and also building 7. That's what I believe.

I believe there was a special paint being painted on the walls which had a certain type of explosives in it that go off at a certain temperature. It was painted on the walls about a week before 9/11 through out the whole length of the twintowers and also building 7. That's what I believe.
    is this really what you believe.i wont ask any follow up questions i just want to clarify

OP, only because you started this thread and had a clear idea about how it would look it doesn't mean that it will turn out that way, unless you state it very clearly from the start. You should have said no newbies are welcome etc.

It does not matter to me, but someone else may take offense if they post something and the OP than says that they are really not bringing anything to this "discussion", which was never meant to be a discussion.

It would have been nicer if you replied that your intention with the thread was to just find out what people believed and not giving any reasons for what they believe.

I have stated what I believe now and will not go into any discussion about it. Since that is not allowed or not what you wanted with this thread?

It's a really simple concept, I thought so at least. It would just be nice for everyone to say what they think happened. Because as seannash already said some people agree with the CT of the week on 911 even though it directly contradicts the one from last week. I dunno but it also seems really fair to everyone that we all say what we think happened. Just go to one of the other 911 threads for the general discussion, not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

have you watched any of the debunking ones or is it just the conspiracy theories one.

anyway i was hoping not to tuen this into a discussion.there are plenty of threads about this where most of not all the evidence CT'ers come up with has an explaination so id say tell us what you think happened and then take the discussion to those threads

which one would you recommend?

Right, I'm not sure where the problems started here, but I presume most people would prefer if this thread contained no discussion. That way it would be easier to see at a glance what people believe.

If thats what people prefer I can go back and delete/move the discussions on specific areas of the theories, and just leave the ones where people chose to outline their beliefs

I can also put a mod note preventing discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

I believe the official reports, only thing I question is how much information the intelligence agencies had that an attack was imminent

Ok, anything that is not an expression of what someone believes about 9/11 has been deleted. From this point on, this thread is only for what people believe about 9/11.

No discussion

Questioning someone's beliefs is also not permitted

Ok, lets see how this goes from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

This is essentially my opinion of it.

Before coming to this forum this is what I believed too, but only because I never really had my beliefs challenged on it before. However, since coming to this forum, I still have the same beliefs, only more strongly than before. I do not think that most/any of the counter senarios to the offical statement of the events are viable alternative hypotheses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm with Paddy on that.
    Pretty much what I believe as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I believe there was a major cock up on 9/11. I believe that more went on at the Pentagon than we are lead to believe. I believe that the White House was under attack. I believe Bush knew something major was going down that day - hence the cameras at the children's book reading - catching his reaction. However, I don't think he got the news he was expecting.

Advertisement