Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dinner in Carlow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

courthouse hotel, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

the OP is asking for European food..

I think Dinn Ri has a new early bird menu(i went there last thursday but havent been there to eat for a long time already so to me that menu was new:D) I was very reasonable for a main course. I had a steak sandwich, very nice.
    Brooks beside it is good too.

Latrecs use to be good. I use to go there quite often but they must change chefs all the time because their food quality is soooo unstable. Sometimes good sometimes really bad.. and recently i think just bad stuff. My fajita wasnt even cooked properly it was hard on the edges.

The place use to Italien Connection now is call Quo Vitas or something. Their lunch menu(goes to 7pm?) is very good value, around a tenner a main course. Very nice food. they also do some specials 2 course meal but i dont know the details.

Mimosa only good for small bit of food and drink. No point going there for food food. It would be too expensive to get full.(5 euro per tapas and they are tiny..only potato bravas is bigger)

Pompelli- Didnt have good experience with them. Very limited menu,not very good service. I would give them a second chance..but its abit far out so i prefer the Quo Vitas place. maybe the summer i'll try them.

Lennons- went there for lunch. its ok.Too healthy for me:p. never been there for dinner.

Wouldnt go to pubs for dinner. So guess thats it!! Hmm...not that many european restaurants in carlow.... Not counting fast food place of course

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

On mothers day we went to have a late lunch in Pompei and it was a nice experience, the food was superb, the staff gave us an excellent service even though the place was very busy and one thing that made the difference is the Mario the owner came to our table, sat down and had a chat with us and to top it all he even gave my mrs a complementary glass of Prosecco.

I definitely will be going back and in fact we decided to book a table for a group of 9 to celebrate the confirmation of my son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AWD4

I almost feel guilty in posting this, since some people are suspicious about positive posts regarding Pompei, but we went back last Saturday, and it was once again very good, we went for Veal Mario and another veal dish and they were both excellent. Service was fleet and friendly, and we also got the comp. Prosecco from the owner Mario :)
    PS: For the record, I am neither Italian nor related in any way to Pompei, just happened to like it

Another restaurant worth checking out, for very special occasion, is the Kilgraney House between Borris and Bagenalstown, I know it is away from town but the gardens, building and surrounding are really superb. The food is minute-prepared and incredibly sophisticated for such as small operation. We were bluffed when we went there for the first time last year and I just learnt that they have just reopenned for the season.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

AWD4 wrote: »
    The tapas near the cathedral, on the other hand I find that the dishes are re-heated, factory-made frozen stuff, I really have no time for these kind of places, nothing beats a real kitchen delivering real food, prepared on-site... and their wines are so commercial.

I've been in there a few times. The food is certainly not "factory made frozen stuff" with the exception of possibly the samosas and its certainly not "reheated". As for the wines, the standrd wines are , well, standard. the better wines are excellent and not supermarket types.

Whenever I'm there its busy - even on wednesday evenings. You don't have a busy restaurant these days unless your food stands up to scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Spangles

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Teach Dolmen - lovely restaurant at back of pub (open fronted kitchen at rear or restaurant). Myself and my partner have never been let down on food/price and friendly service :) with a la carte menu. (The duck tempura starter is especially scrummy)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 carrie1234

I agree Maxer 68, I dunno where awd4 is from or what affiliation they have or not with Pompeii but its crazy to suggest there is no-where decent to eat in Carlow , I like Lautrecs & Mimosa & lennons for lunch other than that I have eaten in pompeii a couple of times and have always been dissapointed. To suggest without inside knowledge of a place that they serve "factory Re heated stuff " is very dodgy ground as every time I have been there the food has been so different & so tasty & the best steak I have eaten in Ireland has been in Lautrecs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

+1 for mimosa.

Well, I don't know where I've said "there is no-where decent to eat in Carlow"... I mentionned Weeping and lennon's myself... And I can quite safely add Sha-Roe, Lord Bagenal and Kilgraney house to the list as well.
    I said Carlow, as in Carlow Town, is quite poor for decent restaurants and Kilkenny fairs quite better, sorry but this is my opinion, and I think one have to be from Mars not to see that...

As per Mimosa we went twice, and both times they served perfectly similary shaped (and bland) spring rolls, in my experience, these are bought frozen and reheated. Same went with at least 4 of the tapas, which were totally similar in taste and in shape on the first and the second visit. I can be wrong of course, but in my experience, it would take a good few skilled chefs in the kitchen to deliver that kind of regularity. If you want to taste real tapas, made in-situ, try The Grapevine in Kilkenny, the papatas, the lamb dish, the apsaragus wrap[ped in parma ham certainly don't look perfect, but they do taste home made.
    McDonalds is always busy when I drive passed it, it doesn't makes me want to stop either...
    and their wines are obvious, overly sweet and limit-charicatural full-on flavoured. They are produced to please the crowds, not enlivened the palate of people who appreciate real wines. Again this is my opinion, and of course I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

And once again so that it is clear, and it is quite annoying to have to justify myself all the time, I am not affiliated with Pompei.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I did wonder myself if some of Tapas dishes were just bought in and cooked but to be honest I don't care because I always find Mimosa exceptional for food, wine, service and atmosphere.

Some of the dishes are just amazing like the recent pork belly dish, probably one of the nicest things I have ever eaten and the cheeseboard is always excellent I'd eat there every night if I could.

• Advertisement

Must say I haven't returned since so I have never seen the pork belly at the time, and to be fair, maybe they have improved their kitchen, and yes I can see why people go there, it is a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, but it doesn't do it for me. Food and wine come first on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

AWD4 wrote: »
    Kilkenny fairs quite better

While the questions remain as to your motives, I actually agree with this. Kilkenny has a wide range of fantastic restaurants and a handful of exceptional restaurants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We had ten tapas in Mimosa last night for a table of 4, we drank 3 bottles of Hardys Shiraz at €20 a bottle.
    Cost between 4 came to €124 & every dish was fantastic.
    Love the way they stagger the dishes so you've some breathing room.
    It was my first time to try Tapas & I loved it, can't wait to go back.

I last went to Lautrecs just before it closed a while back.
    We got the kids down just after 8pm & said goodbye to the babysitter.
    We made it to the restaurant by 9pm where we were told to order straight away as the kitchen was closing at 9.30pm.
    They were lifting chairs onto tables before 10pm while sweeping around us.
    Mimosa stays open until 12pm, 1am at the weekend, no competition for my future business.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mmm88

Had a meal in lautrecs a few weeks ago with himself, went there for Sunday lunch, honestly could not fault the food, the steak and pepper sauce was amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

I'm picky on Italian food, because I've spent enough time in Italy away from the tourist zones to know how it should taste, and I have to say Quo Vadis never disappoints. Added to that is the fact that the waiter (the young guy) Mimmo is very friendly and always makes sure everything is spot on.

I know the op doesn't want non-European food but I thought I'd mention...

Going to the other side of the world, the Jasmine is fantastic for Chinese food.

The Shapna isn't bad at all for Indian.

Pompeii is awful, I'm sorry but to call it Italian food is an insult to la cucina italiana. If the place opened anywhere in Italy, except for somewhere only tourists go, it wouldn't be open a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Today, for the third time, I decided to go with my girlfriend to the Pompei restaurant, on the Barrow track.

For the third time they were closed! I checked their website and it wrongly said that they were open today (Monday) at the time we planned to go, and closed tomorrow (Tuesday) but it was closed when we went down!

We went to the Courthouse Hotel instead.

The food was great, except for an incident where the drinking glasses had heavy residue from dishwasher soap, which tainted the drinks, and my stomach, but that was easily fixed.

The food, staff and prices were great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Today, for the third time, I decided to go with my girlfriend to the Pompei restaurant, on the Barrow track.

For the third time they were closed! I checked their website and it wrongly said that they were open today (Monday) at the time we planned to go, and closed tomorrow (Tuesday) but it was closed when we went down!

We went to the Courthouse Hotel instead.

The food was great, except for an incident where the drinking glasses had heavy residue from dishwasher soap, which tainted the drinks, and my stomach, but that was easily fixed.

The food, staff and prices were great though.

Pompei closed = blessing in disguise :D.

Advertisement