Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dinner in Carlow

Options
  • 24-09-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I would like to take my friend for a dinner, so could somebody suggest a good restaurant in Carlow? Some decent place, not a McDonald. And I am mostly interested in European food, sub 15 euro range.
    There is a list of restaurants at http://www.findarestaurant.ie/Restaurants_In_Carlow.htm but only few of them are rated, so I am counting more on your experience :) Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Not many places where you'll get dinner for less than €15 unless you go for a pub/carvery type affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

I meant €15 just for one meal (excluding drinks), not the whole dinner for two (if that is what you meant).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

lautrecs usually gets good reviews. I haven't been myself but there's lots of good feedback on boards about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pompeii, down by the rowing club is quite nice.. i think the prices around around that range too

you wouldnt want to go there for quiet conversation though, there are about five thosuand council workers with tanks and laser guided missiles digging the road up right beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I went out for dinner recently with my friends and we had the choice of either a starter and main course or a main course and desert for €15.95 in Dinn Ri - You cant go wrong for that price, plus you have a great selection of choices to choose from.

Toughers on the Dublin road do a 4 course dinner for €17.95 - I think they do that from Sun-Thursday though.

Reddys do nice evening meals too, not sure about how much their set meals costs as there was a group of 15 of us that ate out that night, and we divided the bill, including the wine.... which I dont drink, I normally have a mineral with my food, but still always to pay for (that is my pet hate when I go out for meals with his family!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i keep forgetting about reddys, they usually have lovely food and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i keep forgetting about reddys, they usually have lovely food and very reasonably priced.

I'd Sunday dinner in Reddy' last week, was good but not up to it's usual standards
    saw the have an offer on at the moment though dinner for 2 (3 courses I think) and a bottle of wine 49.95

• Registered Users Posts: 23 carrie1234

Well I was in Mimosa Wine Bar near the Cathedral recently and you really can't do better than that , all the Tapas are €5 , and you can order as many as you like ,VERY tasty, as well as that they have a great atmosphere , other than Mimosa I'd say Lautrecs is your best bet. Good luck

Thank you guys for all your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you're going for dinner there's very little on the menu in Lautrecs at around €15 for a single main course unless you're ordering pasta or baked aubergine.
    Their lunch or the early bird menu would be more suited to that price range.

http://www.lautrecs.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Any1 know if you'd have to book a table for 2 at pompeii sat night around 8? i.e are they even doin that well?

Also has any1 been to little venice? it looks like a front room of a house. . well in fact it is. . how many does it seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

foundry wrote: »
    Any1 know if you'd have to book a table for 2 at pompeii sat night around 8? i.e are they even doin that well?

Also has any1 been to little venice? it looks like a front room of a house. . well in fact it is. . how many does it seat?

Pretty sure little venice has been closed for around 6 months or so (unless they've just re-opened.

Got a green flyer though door bout 2 weeks ago with opening hours of little venice and saying you can bring your own bottle (wine) with free corkage so i'm led to believe it's re opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Brooks in Dinn Ri do great evening food.......

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

Foundry, i'd advise booking a table in Pompeii just to be on the safe side as every weekend varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluestreak

hi guys,
    couldn't recommend Joe's Chinese enough, there food and service is brilliant,and reasonably priced.
    On the other hand i would touch pompeii with a barge pole, poor service and badly prepared food, as in reheated just before service...
    Mimosa Wine Bar is lovely, good atmosphere, good food, good wine.
    Lautrecs is also quite good, quite reasonably priced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 heather55

Hi Coroner 29,

Mimosa Wine bar has to be one of the best locations in Carlow, Joe's Chinese is lovely too great service and price. However if you don't want to have too close a link to a coroner I'd advise against Pompeii!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Lennons in the visual arts centre is good, though I haven't been there in the evenings, only lunchtime.

I know you said European, but lemongrass does a great Nasi goreng.

Thanks to all of you

Went to Pompeii Sat night, mixed opinions here.

It was OK.. I wouldn't go again though!!

Tapas best place in town by far

Yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

foggy_lad wrote: »

Great food in Reddys, best in town I think. Lived in Carlow for 22 years and only had dinner in it 3 or 4 months ago. 5 years out of the place, went in there with family and was shocked at how good it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Lautrec's Bistro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

was at pompei friday night, had to send back my main course, was so over cooked, the menu is not that great and is expensive also, wont be going back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AWD4

Funny, I have been many times in Pompei and it is always quite good, unpretentious and simple cuisine with a very warm service. The pizzas are really nice and tasty, the veal is good and the pastas are fine,

The tapas near the cathedral, on the other hand I find that the dishes are re-heated, factory-made frozen stuff, I really have no time for these kind of places, nothing beats a real kitchen delivering real food, prepared on-site... and their wines are so commercial.
    other decent choices, Lennon and Weeping Tiger,

but overall, Carlow is unfortunately quite poor for really good restaurants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

hmmmmm...first post all to praise a place...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

He/she didn't give a resounding appraisal, more like it's good but not so great everyone must rush in and try it. Seems to me that "pastas are fine" isn't great praise at all for any self respecting Italian.

Not sure what I was expected to post, dear
    Moderator?
    In a thread called 'dinner in carlow' I felt I could give my contribution, since we dine out quite a lot ( mind you we go more to kilkenny)
    Pompei is good IMHO, so are Lennon and the weeping tiger, while the tapas is a joke, still in my opinion of course...
    Maybe when I'll have 100 posts I will be taken more seriously?..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There have been a no. of posts praising this place from new posters, so I take your point of view with a grain of salt "dear".Exactly the same way that I do with tripadvisor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi AWD4 and welcome to the forum.
    As byhookorbycrook said there was some posts that are suspected of shilling on behalf of this restaurant so some people are skeptical of 1st posts praising a place.

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi AWD4 and welcome to the forum....

That's more like it :) only kidding, thanks tommycahir

Ok I suppose it makes sense, but I don't think I was raving that much about the place either, I find it good and welcoming, but it doesn't have a huge WOW factor, not like Campagne in Kilkenny for example.
    But hey, it is not the same price either.

Advertisement