Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Autumn 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Doesnt look like a biggy from the picture.

NOt happy at all wit the lack of thunderstorms this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Doesnt look like a biggy from the picture

I'm sorry I disappointed you all... didn't think size was an issue on this forum... :pac::pac:

According to the met.ie forecast it looks like Saturday could see temperatures up to 20'C.... Will this mean more chances of sparks over the weekend? *fingers crossed*....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Just trying to understand these charts (please excuse any clunky/ignorant terms)....

The following chart shows one possible outcome for 96 hours time... i.e. next Monday-ish. Does this mean we will effectivly have a high pressure system over us with a 'gentle' Northwesterly (or SE) airflow? Will that mean that we possibly have some good stable weather for a while to come?

For me personally, that mean good soil temperatures and continued grass growth.

gens-0-1-96.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nice dry SE breeze there in that chart, coming off the continent. Clear skys largely and temps in the high teens by day, cool at night tho. May be fog/drizzle along SE coasts, but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bellabidul

Love this thread!
    When i was a kid, used to be terrified of the storms!
    I was brought up in the centre of Portugal and North of Spain, and the summer storms were really scary!
    So noisy and unpredictable! And they could last for a hole day!
    The nuns in the convent used to say that it was God moving the furniture around!
    I used to go checking upstairs once the thunders subsided to see if the furniture had been moved...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

dYZW5tAT0OaN1

Impressive little bugger tearing up the water.

It should stay away but wouldn't it be great for the unthinkable to happen and go against all the models.:D

Yeah im dreaming

I saw that when i was driving - thought i was imagining things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Bellabidul wrote: »
    I saw that when i was driving - thought i was imagining things...

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's the storm system off to our west and i see there's a thread for it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ESTOFEX have a Level 2 warning out for severe winds and tornadoes to our southwest tomorrow.

http://www.estofex.org

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

GOD DAM BLOCKING HIGHS! :mad:

....i know i shouldnt be saying that , considering if that storm did make landfall here it could well do some damage let alone cause harm to people so ye morally i shouldnt .

BUt on this forum......
    * SHAKES FIST AT BLOCKING HIGH*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Iancar29 wrote: »
    GOD DAM BLOCKING HIGHS! :mad:

....i know i shouldnt be saying that , considering if that storm did make landfall here it could well do some damage let alone cause harm to people ruin our last weekend of good weather so ye morally i shouldnt .

Fixed that for you. There will be plenty of stormy weather in a month or so....

DougL wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. There will be plenty of stormy weather in a month or so....

Thanks Dougl!

A lot of sferics just off the Kerry/Cork coast at the moment. Extreme southwestern areas could get some action in the next hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

_49482272_caters_lightning_new_york_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Beat me to it Nacho. :pac: Just posted this in the weather pictures thread. I didn't check here first!
    Great photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tuesday has the potential to bring some heavy showers following on from a fairly sharp cold front that is forecast to swing over Ireland towards the evening.

132277.jpg

uppers forecast to cool rapidly after the front passes later in the evening:

132278.jpg

which would help in beefing up showers or showery troughs later in the night: Western and Northwestern headlands especially could be at risk of a few strikes as a result. Probably will not happen like that but might be worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

I agree!

Some action in the west this morning from a showery trough off the Mayo coast. Further west, the FAX has cold frontogenesis, which is giving some strikes to its south at the moment, and should develop further as it approaches throughout the day.

sf_na_1d.gif?

06_UKMet_Boden+00.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Sky News showed quite a bit of lightening over connaught in its forecast for this afternoon as a fairly organised band of rains pushes east. some places will see more rain than others.

Some intense showers making their way into SW Clare and Kerry at the moment.

• Advertisement

nexstorm.png

A few strikes picked up from here over the last few hours. With the land heating up now, we might get a bit of increased activity as these boys push over the Shannon valley later on today.

getting very dark to my SW.

132565.jpg

Four strikes from two separate showers there in the last minute... could these boys be lively?

Just had a flash of lightening. Now hail mixed in with heavy rain

edit: Power cut for 30 secs

Think I picked up that strike here... are you near the Burren?

Hope we get some action here in west dublin later. I could do with a good storm, releash some pent-up stress :)

Danno wrote: »
    Think I picked up that strike here... are you near the Burren?
    about 12 miles to the South, Danno

there were three in west clare too
    http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_0=3&subpage_3=3

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    getting very dark to my SW.

132565.jpg

Your pictures are always stunning. You really live in a beautiful part of the world. Id love to wake up to that view every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Dark as hell here with heavy but short lived spurts of rain/hail. Scud racing NE'wards.

Edit: Spurts becoming very intense, almost thunderstorm intensity but no thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

is this the band of heavy/thundery showers mentioned in forecast for late afternoon or is there another band to follow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement