Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Xtra-vision?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Haven't rented a movie in about 6 years. Don't see the point when I can buy same online and watch it forever for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No they are not.

Can you not get it into your head that different formats can happily exist together.

Blu Ray
    vs
    DVD
    vs
    Watching online

etc

or

vinyl
    vs
    CD
    vs
    MP3s

There's a place for everything. Just because a new format appears it doesn't automatically make the previous one obselete.

I can see limited appeal in renting DVDs but sales should continue for many years.

Ever hear of VHS, does that have a place any more. Or floppy disks. No.
    The DVD replaced VHS outright as Blu Rays will with DVDs.

There is not a place for everything, if something is obsolete it's replaced, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just reading through it a bit there, learned a few interesting things i never knew about xtra vision. A bit hard to follow though so can anyone tell me whats exactly happening?

so blockbuster own xtra vision?
    are they closing down?

as far as the dvd vs blu ray vs streaming, id rent a dvd or blue ray over streaming any day.

the broadband is not good enough for everyone for streaming to really catch on and until its sorted properly il stick to renting and the odd stream.

its fairly annoying watchin films on your laptop though, i know you can hook it up to your tv but its just hassle and the picture quality isnt as good and rewinding and fast foward can be hassle sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

just reading through it a bit there, learned a few interesting things i never knew about xtra vision. A bit hard to follow though so can anyone tell me whats exactly happening?

so blockbuster own xtra vision?
    are they closing down?

as far as the dvd vs blu ray vs streaming, id rent a dvd or blue ray over streaming any day.

the broadband is not good enough for everyone for streaming to really catch on and until its sorted properly il stick to renting and the odd stream.

its fairly annoying watchin films on your laptop though, i know you can hook it up to your tv but its just hassle and the picture quality isnt as good and rewinding and fast foward can be hassle sometimes too.
    Blockbuster once owned them, but they are now owned by some Irish Investment firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

There is not a place for everything, if something is obsolete it's replaced, simple as.

I said "doesn't automatically make the previous one obselete"

DVD replaced VHS outright because the latter was a mediocre format. That's why I didn't mention it.

Blu Ray will co-exist with DVD for quite a while. Plenty films / television shows look as good as they ever will with DVD. The majority of new release DVDs [archive television] that I buy do not have a simultaneous Blu Ray release nor will they in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Pkano

Hello :) does any one know where i can get dead space 1 in galway pre owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

thebman wrote: »
    Will we be bailing out Xtravision like we did with Quinn insurance??

Each employ over 1,000 people around the country...

Tens of thousands of people unable to rent films vs tens of thousands of people suddenly with no car/health/life insurance should tell you why insurance companies are bailed out and video rental companies won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I disagree. The quality and functionality gap between VHS and DVD was vast. That same gap between DVD and Blu Ray is not big enough to cause a massive swing to Blu Ray that would kill off DVD. In time yes, but it will be a lot slower than the transition from VHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

There are a huge number of older movies still available on VHS that have yet to get a DVD release. If you only use the recent technologies then you're missing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

I think that Blu Ray is gonna get passed over by alot of people thanks to digital distribution and external media players replacing the physical disk players.

People get over needing the tangible copy of their media very quickly, even when they don't think they're going to. It's kinda sad actually.

• Advertisement

I like Xtravision :) Quite often I'd wander in there (twice a month perhaps), two films, two cans and a popcorn for a tenner, hardly bad value. All this buy online cheaper is fine but how often do you want to watch films over and over again. Aside from the classics....... like Lethal Weapon, Die Hard etc :pac:

I'm too busy stirring sh1t on forums to be downloading movies :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The big difference between Xtravision, and watching (legally) via online stores is you need the money in your pocket going to Xtravision - imagine the bill you could chalk up with something like Apple TV.......

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I have a mate who works for xtra vision. Says they're going into liquidation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

So Extra-vision won't be getting any more new releases that will be coming out in the near future. Who would give them credit if they are in this state?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Nolanger wrote: »
    There are a huge number of older movies still available on VHS that have yet to get a DVD release. If you only use the recent technologies then you're missing out!

But many of these have been ripped to download formats if you know where to look :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

This is hardy a non bias medium to be discussing this on, but I'll continue

I do believe xtravision is still relevant, in my opinion it's not the lack of people renting/buying in xtravision it is the massive overheads. As another poster mentioned they where truly shocked by how much the rent alone for the shop cost, as was I. The shop I worked in which was meant to be one of the flagship stores was only braking even. Our location was reasonable but we could never really show that we where profitable enough to move to another location that would have had soooo much more passing trade.

I do download movies, I have quite a fast connection, but I HATE streaming movies, quality is usually quite terrible, you very rarely get the HD that is promised. The area I see, that will most likely continue to do well is Blu ray rental. For example a new release on Blu ray is generally well over €20, renting the same price as a normal DVD. Another merit of this is blu rays are quite difficult to scratch which lowers overheads on replacing DVDs. A "Blu ray quality rip" can go from 5gigs up to 50gigs depending on plenty. Personally that is a lot of space taken up on my HDD for something I will most likely only watch once or twice.

I'm a former employee, I was there just over a year, good job to get if you're busy every weekday, allows for evening work. I would have been in serious money trouble if I hadn't had that job

When I left rental was still excellent on the weekends and electronics and sales kept us busy during the weeks. Renting a new release is also a lot cheaper than buying it. The fresh popcorn was also a good earner as the profit margins on popcorn have to be through the roof, but it was still WAY cheaper than the cinema.

It's not perfect by any means but very few companies are. Places where they could improve is quality of service, my branch was quite good but I have seen personally how people just act belittling or just rude, they have to get over themselves, they work in a video shop. This was mainly caused by managers who had these qualities or the fact that there are no managers/supervisors on in the evenings. Pricing could be improved in some places, the prices are quite good in a lot of areas but terrible in others, which gives starts the "xtravision is a ripoff"

A lot of the prices quoted by naysayers here are laughable.

Just to clarify I've no vested interest in the company but they do employ a lot of people and despite the bad times I had there I'd still be sad to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 amoXx

Dave! wrote: »
    Good. I hope it burns down.

/disgruntled former employee

Haha. I 2nd that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

9 shops closing down supposedly, mine being one of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

9 shops closing down supposedly, mine being one of them. :(

Another 9 closing down this Sunday.

That's 18 within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hopefully Cex will take this as an opportunity to expand beyond their single Liffey Street store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I very rarely use Xtra Vision, but I would not like to see it close down as sometimes they can have good sales on their games. Pity the staff in my local Xtra Vision are a bunch of grumpy idiots.

Advertisement