Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of Xtra-vision?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I go to Xtra Vision, take down the names of movies that look good into my phone and then go home and download them.

I'm a bad person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I go to Xtra Vision, take down the names of movies that look good into my phone and then go home and download them.

I'm a bad person.

Instead of just looking at their charts online? :D

I like to see old movies too that I've never seen though, in the 4 for €22 selection. But I don't want to pay the €22 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

ya gotta get some form of exercise....

I do the same... also ive also found xtravision to be decent with trade ins..

Last week I called game and asked the cash trade in value of 4 games:

Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, Killzone 2, and Assasins Creed 2. They offered 22.50

I then went to xtravision, (Stillorgan) and was offered 20 for Black Ops alone...

Although I have to say the guy working there is a bit of a dick, Every game shop ever gives the trade in values etc if you call in without the game or phone them. The lad there wouldn't do so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They didn't give me a job years ago, but gave it to some girl who was giving enthusiastic bull**** about always wanting to rent dvds :pac: die in a fire xtra vision!

• Advertisement

They didn't give me a job years ago, but gave it to some girl who was giving enthusiastic bull**** about always wanting to rent dvds :pac: die in a fire xtra vision!

Bet if they had given you the job, the business wouldn't be in trouble today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

free flirting with all new releases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Are video rental shops a thing of the past? I haven't rented a DVD/BR in years, Either watch it in the cinema or rent it from iTunes

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/xtravision-says-1300-jobs-still-safe-as-examiner-steps-in-at-firm-2634022.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I used to work for Xtra-Vision until 9 months ago and did notice that most purchases were retail related rather than rental.

However in saying that, there was a shít load of rental, especially the weekends. Things will quieten now with the summer.

I'd say rental shops will die out though and could see Xtra-Vision becoming a retail based electronics store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

DVD's and the like are really a thing of the past. If you have the internet you can rent/buy movies online. Apple TV is amazing and really easy to use. Browse the movies and Rent in seconds. Why would anyone bother going to a DVD rental shop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Honestly haven't rented a thing in years, that said I always have good luck with games in xtra vision.

I used to buy games brand new until I realised I never finished them or took ages to do so

Ive gotten (preowned) red dead redemption for €20, assassins creed for €5, GTA 4 for €20, rockband for €10 and loads of other great bargains so yeah Ill miss them for that

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BoDiddly

awful customer service skills !
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Does no one else find watching movies online to be quite sh*t? The quality is always terrible and grainy or it takes about six hours to buffer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ah Xtravision, I remember when they threatened a fine if you didn't rewind the tape. :D

But realy, not everywhere in Ireland has broadband.
    Many areas in Ireland don't

So Xtravision still has a market

Anywhere that doesn't have broadband won't have an xtravision. They're only located in larger towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

Does no one else find watching movies online to be quite sh*t? The quality is always terrible and grainy or it takes about six hours to buffer :(
    your doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

You have to remember as well that for many moons xtravision was the only source of electronics, movies and video games for many small towns(and a few large !) and suburbs around the country.

They really aren't up to date on prices at all, I remember once I actually managed to make a profit on a trade in there (like brought it for 10 quid, traded it in for like 20 quid, they retailed it for 50 quid, good luck with that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I've taken to getting all my films from Xtra-Vision now when I want to buy em. Two months after the DVD comes out, and its in a 4 for €22 deal they always seem to have. Get some pretty good deals on pre-owned games too.

I mainly go there for the manager they got a while back in Waterford City, you'd go up to get say Band of Brothers for the week and he'd spend a good 10 minutes chatting away about the Pacific and Saving Private Ryan. Always lets me know about new boxsets and keeps a hold of stuff I'm looking for.

Great service....when he was on that is....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

when gta4 came out for the x box i couldnt afford to buy it so i went to xtra vision and rented it for '24' hours and never gave it back. like how could you play a game for a day and give it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

when gta4 came out for the x box i couldnt afford to buy it so i went to xtra vision and rented it for '24' hours and never gave it back. like how could you play a game for a day and give it back?

You are cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

How clever, if only I'd thought of that.

Yes, from now on I will be lying to sound 'cool' on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We were told yesterday before it was released to the media that they were appointing an examiner and we were insured that are jobs were safe. After hearing what one shop pays a year in rent for their premises there's no wonder so many companies are having to shut up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

THIS IS YOUR FAULT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I don't think Online/Illegal downloads is solely to blame. Online retailers are cheaper than Xtravision 99% of the time, so if I ever did want to purchase a DVD it would be the first place I would look. Saying that, I don't think I've used my DVD Player in the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Will we be bailing out Xtravision like we did with Quinn insurance??

Each employ over 1,000 people around the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Thats over 2000 days late, at €4.75 a night is roughly ten grand. Expensive game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I think it is your internet connection that's **** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I lived in Japan for two years and I would often visit a rental store named Tsutaya. They're the biggest in Japan and I have noticed they are hugely popular. They rent out CDs as well as DVDs but they don't do games. (I haven't see anywhere that rent out games in Japan.) Their DVD range is massive. They have movies from all around the world, extensive TV show DVDs, Anime and even adult movie sections.

They also have a loyalty card system called a "T-Point" card which you can get points from almost anywhere. If you buy some milk at a convenience store or get some petrol or go to a burger joint will get points on your card to go towards a rental.

Now the thing is, the prices are high and late fees are higher. They have an option for same-day-return rentals but if you fail to return on time it they charge on top of that the price of a 1 night rental. Their CD rental prices are also a bit steep, but I never rented a CD anyway.

There are about 1,500 stores in Japan and 40 Million T-point members.
    I think it goes to show that if the service is good, people don't mind paying a bit xtra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

alex73 wrote: »
    DVD's and the like are really a thing of the past.

No they are not.

Can you not get it into your head that different formats can happily exist together.

Blu Ray
    vs
    DVD
    vs
    Watching online

etc

or

vinyl
    vs
    CD
    vs
    MP3s

There's a place for everything. Just because a new format appears it doesn't automatically make the previous one obselete.

I can see limited appeal in renting DVDs but sales should continue for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sorry to hear about this, particularly for those who feel that their jobs may be in risk.

Remember for those who may be 'toasting' this, XtraVision employ a hell of a lot of people in this country.

Advertisement