Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How effective is spinning for trout?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Only comment is that's precisely what happens.
    Another effect:
    the bottom feeding trout eat coarse fish and grow faster, so their average size increases.
    But their numbers drop due to competition from the numerous coarse fish fry for micro food items, this makes the mortality rate for baby trout rise.
    Because of this fewer larger trout can be a sign that a trout fishery is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

That's an impressive float tube set-up coolwings!

Would you use that on the big loughs? Would it be safe?

aidanf wrote: »
    Sorry, I missed that:). Probably because I read an article about trolling (the fishing kind) last night and I had trolling on my mind.

The article was interesting though. It was about the effect of increasing perch and roach populations on trout populations on lakes. The basic gist of it was that as a lake gets more and more perch and roach in it, they end up eating more of the insect life in the lake, which leaves less insect life for trout to eat. But in turn the trout will start feeding on perch/roach fry and small fish of which there are plenty. The result is that trout spends less time feeding on the surface and more time feeding on the bottom and fly fishing for trout becomes less effective. So in lakes with a large stock of coarse fish fly fishing for trout becomes less effective and trolling becomes more effective. Anyone any thoughts on this?

In spinning terms, I find that perch can be a pain, they can become a pest and are too easy to catch when you're not targeting them.

snow ghost wrote: »
    That's an impressive float tube set-up coolwings!

Would you use that on the big loughs? Would it be safe?

I use it the biggest loughs. But my small boat safety standard and dicipline is very tight. Newcomers have no place on big waters in small craft. A lake 1 mile x 1/2 mile is what is considered to be typical float tube territory.
    snow ghost wrote: »
    In spinning terms, I find that perch can be a pain, they can become a pest and are too easy to catch when you're not targeting them.
    Like if we catch 50 perch and no trout? It happens! I sympathise ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    To argue that a "fly" lure is good, and a spinner is bad, is verging on the ridiculous.

who said that???? my god what a statement............

• Advertisement

I use largish size lures so maybe should elaborate: in my fly wallet a fly "lure" = some marabou hairy creature 2-3" long with goodly amounts of flash!
    And they are not all fish imitations - I tie a lovely crayfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

I tie a lovely crayfish!
    I love barbecued crayfish. Could you tie me some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

But for ferox .... trolling is the business.

How fast do you need to paddle your feet when trolling with the float tube?*

(Checks spelling, clicks Submit)

*some or all of this post contains humour.

Octopus wrote: »
    How fast do you need to paddle your feet when trolling with the float tube?*

(Checks spelling, clicks Submit)

*some or all of this post contains humour.

LOL

Could be something of a stalemate if you hooked a large ferox!

garancafan wrote: »
    LOL

Could be something of a stalemate if you hooked a large ferox!

Or a checkmate if a large pike got its teeth into your gonads!

• Advertisement

:eek:

The tube provides some "surprises" and you would not want to be easily scared.
    For instance when paddling along in deep water and a branch or rock sticks up (which would smash a boat) the tube or your leg just bumps into it and bounces off. Sounds simple, doesn't it? But when you are out in the middle of nowhere and something unexpectedly touches you/the tube you wake up and pay attention really fast!

Trolling fast is not a viable option. But float tube trolling ultra slowly is deadly when the fish want it at that speed. Otherwise you get fit after a while and them legs become like a regular propeller down under!!!! Truth? The fins are so efficient we kick in slow motion, so it's very like walking the bank and taking a cast each step.

Thanks coolwings. Sounds like a pike grabbing my gonads would be preferable to a kick from propeller-legs!

The tube provides some "surprises" and you would not want to be easily scared.
    For instance when paddling along in deep water and a branch or rock sticks up (which would smash a boat) the tube or your leg just bumps into it and bounces off. Sounds simple, doesn't it? But when you are out in the middle of nowhere and something unexpectedly touches you/the tube you wake up and pay attention really fast!

Trolling fast is not a viable option. But float tube trolling ultra slowly is deadly when the fish want it at that speed. Otherwise you get fit after a while and them legs become like a regular propeller down under!!!! Truth? The fins are so efficient we kick in slow motion, so it's very like walking the bank and taking a cast each step.

Just wondering do wild trout come close to the float tube? not stocked fish, wild ones, are they spooked by it. Have you ever used it for salmon fishing? just wondering as i have never used one.

? But when you are out in the middle of nowhere and something unexpectedly touches you/the tube you wake up and pay attention really fast!

Does that happen often?

If you tube fish in and around the kind of snags that terrify boatbound anglers and break their hardshell boats - sure it does. Best practice in fishing a shallow submerged rockfield is avoiding a swell since your heel could hit a rock hard. In a wave we stand off and cast into the breaking waves.

One time, doodling along at 6am, flat calm, half asleep, and trolling at a snails pace for pike, a salmon of about 15lbs swam between my legs from behind me, about 6" under the surface and unexpectedly appeared between my knees. That made me sit up and pay attention, with the pulse rate of a hyperactive stoat for a minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

so after reading this entire thread I'm still none the wiser if spinning is appropriate for trout fishing or not...

my story is, I have a boyfriend who has hinted he would like to take up fishing again (he used to do spinning for brown trout in louth in his teens, so about 8 years ago) and hint hint on the christmas present front.

so we had a look for reels with a spinner (forgive me if my terminology isn't correct, i am not an angler) on Ebay. We came up with two in my price range

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380273813719&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380279760310&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

now after coming across this thread i'm wondering if spinning is the right way to go. he wants to get back to nature, have something relaxing to do to take his mind off this awful economy and lack of hope all over the place. i love to read so will happily sit out with a book for 5 hours. so back to the point of this thread...spinning or fly fishing. I think he could manage fly fishing (i know i've done it in the past, it's not THAT hard to do but probably hard to perfect) so before i fork out for a spinning reel and regret it, please let me know what you think...

also any tips for louth fishing would be greatly appreciated, we live in drogheda...

thank you in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

Personally I prefer fly fishing - I find it a 'purer' way to fish then spinning or bait fishing (just a personal opinion obviously). If you are going to purchase a rod and reel for either spinning or fly fishing and that you're not very familiar with the equipment I would recommend having a look at the thread at the top of this page regarding tackle shops and try visiting one and asking for advice - worst case scenario you get some good advice and then use it on the interwebs to purchase your tackle. Best case is that you purchase it from a local shop in your area for a reasonable (7-10%) mark up and establish a relationship with them regarding advice and recommendations for the future.

Hi Evac...thanks for the reply. I kinda did half of what you said and spoke to the ebay seller who is actually based in the same county as me (handy). he was also of the opinion that fly fishing is better but the problem with stocked lakes forbidding spinners isn't apparent in louth as there aren't any lakes! looks like the boyfriend will be doing river fishing and can use a spinner. maybe for his birthday i'll get him fly fishing stuff in case we head off on holidays to areas that forbid spinner fishing.

thanks again for the tips....

No problem - for what it's worth if you do decide to stick him onto the fly and that you can travel to Dublin sometime during the regular season I'd be happy to pass along what little knowledge I have of fly fishing some evening/weekend afternoon ;)

• Advertisement

aw thank you! that's very nice of you...we'll see how he fairs with the spinning and if he expresses an interest in the fly i will let him know that you're willing to pass on your knowledge

really kind of you :)

well i got him the spinning reel and he was over the moon.

told him that he has the offer of some tuition on the fly fishing and he was delighted. Going to get started on the spinning after the date and then see if we progress.

Just one question, is the shannon river fly only? we're going to be getting a boat out for a week in June with the folks and would like to do some fishing there too..

thanks for all the comments and advice, you're great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hey prettygurl,

the shannon woildnt be much of a trout fishery i dont think. It would be more well know for course fishing, i.e. bream, raoch, rudd, perch, pike etc which would be caught primarily using bait. Spinning on the shannon is more than likely going to catch a pike or perch than anything else, which, in a pikes case anyway, would need a bit of expertise to land and handle.

hello again,

so i was just thinking about the whole fishing thing again...you need a state licence to catch salmon and sea trout, so if you're only wanting to catch brown trout and anything other than salmon or sea trout (as le hamo has pointed out) then you just need to get a pass from the local angling club. so does this mean if you catch a salmon by accident its ok as long as you throw it back? if you're spinning will the salmon die anyway if thrown back? do salmon and brown trout often live in the same river? how likely is that to happen? and finally i quite like salmon to eat so i may have to persuade the bf that in fact he does want to catch salmon even if it will cost him €120 per year :D

(you'd think i'd know this stuff with a science degree but no :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

hello again,

so i was just thinking about the whole fishing thing again...you need a state licence to catch salmon and sea trout, so if you're only wanting to catch brown trout and anything other than salmon or sea trout (as le hamo has pointed out) then you just need to get a pass from the local angling club. so does this mean if you catch a salmon by accident its ok as long as you throw it back? if you're spinning will the salmon die anyway if thrown back? do salmon and brown trout often live in the same river? how likely is that to happen? and finally i quite like salmon to eat so i may have to persuade the bf that in fact he does want to catch salmon even if it will cost him €120 per year :D

(you'd think i'd know this stuff with a science degree but no :( )

Yes, if you accidentally catch a salmon or sea trout you are obliged to return it if you don't have a state licence for salmon or sea trout. When you get a state licence you are issued a logbook and a number of tags for the year. When you catch a salmon/sea trout you are supposed to log it and tag it immediately. Being found in possession of a dead salmon or sea-trout that doesn't have a tag is an offence regardless of whether you caught it accidentally or even if you do have a licence but failed to tag the fish. Also several rivers are completely closed to salmon and sea trout angling so you can't fish for them there even if you have a state licence.

Incidentally, I don't fish for salmon but from what I've heard they are difficult to catch. Also rivers that get a good run of salmon are often expensive to get permits for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

you need a state licence to catch salmon and sea trout, so if you're only wanting to catch brown trout and anything other than salmon or sea trout (as le hamo has pointed out) then you just need to get a pass from the local angling club.

Basically yes. A state salmon licence is required for salmon and sea trout. Many waters are controlled by clubs too (its in the best interests of the fish really that a club looks after the river). Usually they are open to new members but many are moving toward fly only. Many waters are free too. I'd say get him this book. He'll refer to it again and again if he starts fishing again. All the rivers listed, what you catch in them and if a permit is needed where to get it.

so does this mean if you catch a salmon by accident its ok as long as you throw it back?
    Legally yes. The odd salmon has been knocked on the head by a young angler who never caught on before. A few years back I saw a young lad with a 4/5lb salmon running home with his tiny trout rod in the other hand. He'll never forget that battle I'd say. But if he want to fish for salmon all the time then salmon licence is a must. He could find himself fined or in court otherwise.
    If you're spinning will the salmon die anyway if thrown back?
    It depends on a number of factors. If it is caught by an experienced angler then probably not.
    do salmon and brown trout often live in the same river?
    Yeah, all the time. Nearly every stream and river in the country has brown trout in it. Once there is a path to the sea, salmon will run the river too once they havent been fished out.
    and finally i quite like salmon to eat so i may have to persuade the bf that in fact he does want to catch salmon even if it will cost him €120 per year :D

There's alway birthday presents from yourself like ;)

thank you for both of those really comprehensive replies! so you basically affirmed what I was thinking. Hopefully the rivers will still let spinning in Louth and afar (we plan on doing some day trips etc.) so that book will come in handy. And yes I could get him a licence for his bday if I hadn't already got him a present :D I dont think we'll need it, as aidan said, salmon are notoriously hard to catch!

gotta love the ppl on boards.ie for help on subjects that i have no clue on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

salmon are notoriously hard to catch!
    You just need to be a bit careful where you fish as it is illegal to fish for salmon using some methods, that is fish for, not to mention even catching one. certain times of the year at certain places its not that difficult to catch one, in fact its very easy!
    Be sure you talk to your local angling club and be familiar with local regulations, it can be very confusing with the reams of regulations out there.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

If you must spin for trout on our rivers I would kindly ask you to use single barbless hooks. I refer to spinners as trout skewers, glad to see they are finally banned on my local river.

• Advertisement

A fly caught fish is in the mouth on a single hook.
    A worm caught fish is often (young trout) deep hooked in the upper gut, or rear mouth (gills area) on a single.
    A spinner caught fish is mouth hooked with up to three hooks, or up to six hooks in the case of Rapala type lures.

All true and on lakes where 'trotting' isn't possible I would agree that it's completely down to luck whether the fish is return-able after being caught using these methods.

If the lake isn't catch and return only though and that the intent is to keep the fish for the table does it make any difference? With many lakes being stocked with only fish > 3/4 lbs the overwhelming majority of the stock are in excess of the keep size. I ask that to find out perspectives, not as a challenge to anyone's views.

Advertisement