Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a possible end to how current online piracy works?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

strobe wrote: »
    But didn't tvshack pop back up about 36 hours later with a slightly different domain name and been running since with no problem? Watch-movies change their name slightly every 5 or 6 weeks and are never done for long. I really can;t see how this plan has any chance of working. If wikileaks goes down won't it just pop back up as wikileaks.cc or any other of a hundred different things a couple of hours later?

Aye, I hadn't realised it was back with a new domain! I'd say Wikileaks have planned for such eventualities in any case.. as someone else said, you'd still be able to connect through the IP address even if the domains were seized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Aye, I hadn't realised it was back with a new domain! I'd say Wikileaks have planned for such eventualities in any case.. as someone else said, you'd still be able to connect through the IP address even if the domains were seized.

Yeah I was just reading wikileaks wikipedia page and it says "the Chinese government currently attempts to censor every web site with "wikileaks" in the URL, including the primary .org site and the regional variations .cn and .uk. However, the site is still accessible from behind the Chinese firewall through one of the many alternative names used by the project, such as "secure.sunshinepress.org". The alternate sites change frequently, and WikiLeaks encourages users to search "wikileaks cover names" outside mainland China for the latest alternative names. Mainland search engines, including Baidu and Yahoo!, also censor references to "wikileaks".[68]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks#Chinese_censorship

So apparently they have been running rings around the great firewall of China for years as it is. Can't see the USA having any more luck.

Advertisement