Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is the Worst Place to Live in Europe Study shows!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The study only included 10 'leading' economies' I see.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Remembers to breath*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Those average household incomes look hugely inflated. If they excluded the top 1% it would probably reflect reality better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

during the boom I used to have to laugh at everyone boasting that Ireland was like some sort of heaven on earth, which was confirmed by the "fact" that if people were emigrating to Ireland in their droves then because of the brilliantness of the quality of life on offer in Ireland.
    (indeed, the polish were leaving their sunny summers, and crisp winters because they have a hidden lust for almost constant drizzle??)

It wasnt. It was because you could earn fity grand plus doung f*ck all for it. And pay f*ck all tax cos Bertie was the most generous man on the planet with his giveaway budgets.

Yet........
    Only Ireland fares worse than Britain in an updated quality of life index for Europe compiled by uSwitch.com, as the republic has fewer hours of sunshine, a higher retirement age and lower public spending on essential services.

During the boom, the cash in your pocket was all that separated Ireland of the 2000s with the 80s. Parks amenities and the likes were not invested in and with the cash now frazzled away, Ireland sole unique selling point truely is its propensity for drizzle (and slanty rain).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

during the boom I used to have to laugh at everyone boasting that Ireland was like some sort of heaven on earth, which was confirmed by the "fact" that if people were emigrating to Ireland in their droves then because of the brilliantness of the quality of life on offer in Ireland.
    (indeed, the polish were leaving their sunny summers, and crisp winters because they have a hidden lust for almost constant drizzle??)

It wasnt. It was because you could earn fity grand plus doung f*ck all for it. And pay f*ck all tax cos Bertie was the most generous man on the planet with his giveaway budgets.

Yet........

During the boom, the cash in your pocket was all that separated Ireland of the 2000s with the 80s. Parks amenities and the likes were not invested in and with the cash now frazzled away, Ireland sole unique selling point truely is its propensity for drizzle (and slanty rain).

Moan, moan, moan, distort some facts, moan, moan, look down at people, moan, moan, be smug some more, moan, moan, moan.

I translated that for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

if you have a full time job ireland is the best place in the e.u to live. And if you dont have a job, ireland is still the best place in th e.u to live. well apart from luxembourg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That is funny, because the survey that you have quoted has Ireland as the highest net household income, as 44, 955 pound compared with

Is what the figure was when people actually had jobs here?

getting on towards half a million unemployed tends to make any comparison look a little sick.

Its true,it really is the worst place to live in Europe.
    Thing is, only those who have travelled and seen how other countries are so well run will realise this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thing is, only those who have travelled and seen how other countries are so well run will realise this.

Man how times have changed
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/nov/18/population.ireland

I guess the old adage of Money = Happiness rings true.

OMG i am after looking at the survey and the have,
    POLAND ahead of japan
    and LATVIA ahead of ireland
    it a comedy skit i reckon

this was the international living survey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

This report is such a load of bollox. It uses specific statistics so it can sway the report to say "Britain is the worst" etc. as "Britain ranks average" isnt news.

Where is the infant mortality rate, crime rate, prison population, inches of rain, political stability, public strikes (would really hurt France!) gender equality, employment and all that other crap.

Also, notice how Ireland is almost double the wages of Italy and Spain yet we are ranked in the same way when it comes to food prices. A monkey would know to use actual purchasing power and prices alone dont mean sht.

And had to laugh that "A British smoker can expect to pay around £6.30 for a packet of cigarettes, while somebody in Poland will pay just £1.70 per pack". Since when are cheap cigarettes an indicator of quality of life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

No, but by pandering to some tired Anglophile stereotype you are essentially British.

+ 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Can we look at other surveys from 2010? How about this one from Mercer which looks at cities:

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2010#City_Ranking_Tables

Dublin is 26 out of 50 in the world

How about this survey from International Living magazine which looks at countries:

http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2010/

We ain't the best by any means, but the moaning and exaggeration of how bad Ireland is in this thread is comparable to those spoilt brats on my super sweet 16 moaning about how bad their lives are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've spent the last year and a half moving between Ireland and Spain while on the same income, and I can definitely say that for a single person with no kids and who likes to go out, the cost of living and quality of life are MUCH better in Spain. You pay less rent for more space (and it will be cheaper to furnish that space), the weather is better, the food is cheaper and MUCH better (both at the grocery store and in restaurants/bars), there is good public transportation in the large cities, health services are good, and it is very cheap and easy to get around the country. Maybe I'd think differently if I had kids in school or something, but I think overall in Ireland (and the UK) you don't really get value for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Surely this study is only referring to cost of living? I'd imagine, overall, life in Ireland is a good bit sweeter than that in, for instance, Albania.

Can we look at other surveys from 2010? How about this one from Mercer which looks at cities:

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2010#City_Ranking_Tables

Dublin is 26 out of 50 in the world

How about this survey from International Living magazine which looks at countries:

http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2010/

We ain't the best by any means, but the moaning and exaggeration of how bad Ireland is in this thread is comparable to those spoilt brats on my super sweet 16 moaning about how bad their lives are.
    the international living survey does not take into account wage earning's.
    i worked in italy and anybody who try's to tell me that living standarts are better in italy than ireland is talking out there arse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The Daily Tory-graph says "Ireland is bad!" shocker!

And how predictable that the Daily Torygraph refers to Ireland as a "British" isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I've spent the last year and a half moving between Ireland and Spain while on the same income, and I can definitely say that for a single person with no kids and who likes to go out, the cost of living and quality of life are MUCH better in Spain. You pay less rent for more space (and it will be cheaper to furnish that space), the weather is better, the food is cheaper and MUCH better (both at the grocery store and in restaurants/bars), there is good public transportation in the large cities, health services are good, and it is very cheap and easy to get around the country. Maybe I'd think differently if I had kids in school or something, but I think overall in Ireland (and the UK) you don't really get value for your money.

Q. Are you on irish or Spanish wages?

Again, only specific criteria is being used for your assessment - I'm sure the Ukraine is better run than Ireland, that doesn't make it a better place to live than Ireland.

the international living survey does not take into account wage earning's.
    i worked in italy and anybody who try's to tell me that living standarts are better in italy than ireland is talking out there arse
    Yeah, I know a good few Italians - they are shocked by what is generally considered a bad wage here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Linoge wrote: »
    Q. Are you on irish or Spanish wages?

I live on dollars, and the amount fluctuates depending on my situation (and the exchange rate). Without going into details, I'll just say that I know from personal experience that being young and single on 1,000/month (which is half the average wage in Spain) is a waaaay better in Madrid than it is in Dublin. And even when my income increased to the point where I could afford my own place in Ireland, the quality of life was still far better in Spain than anywhere I've lived in Ireland or the UK. It's not that I dislike Ireland - I love the theater/literary scene, and I like Irish people - but going out in Ireland is an absolute rip-off, and I don't understand why dinner is 30 euro pp (or why kitchens close so early).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The article is from the Daily Mail, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Who cares about a stupid survey.
    I have the solution to make I reland better - STOP MOANING about every little thing /;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

That is funny, because the survey that you have quoted has Ireland as the highest net household income, as 44, 955 pound compared with

UK - 37,172
    Netherlands - 41,130
    Denmark - 39,997

and comparing that with France and Spain who come out best in the survey:

France - 32,766
    Spain - 24,228

http://www.uswitch.com/press-room/press-releases/uk-and-ireland-trailing-the-rest-of-europe-for-quality-of-life-1769.pdf

During the boom that was never the average income. Today in ireland the average one parent family lives on well less than 20K.

if you have a full time job ireland is the best place in the e.u to live. And if you dont have a job, ireland is still the best place in th e.u to live. well apart from luxembourg

Crock of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

UK - 37,172
    Netherlands - 41,130
    Denmark - 39,997

and comparing that with France and Spain who come out best in the survey:

France - 32,766
    Spain - 24,228

http://www.uswitch.com/press-room/press-releases/uk-and-ireland-trailing-the-rest-of-europe-for-quality-of-life-1769.pdf

During the boom that was never the average income. Today in ireland the average one parent family lives on well less than 20K.
    2 years later? Wow
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I dont care I'm looking forward to the World Cup in South Africa

Dazza wrote: »
    2 years later? Wow
    :P

How many people do you know earning 45K??

I dont care I'm looking forward to the World Cup in South Africa
    Yeah what's all this vuvuzela talk? Sounds a bit rude. Gerry Ryan was talking about it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Ireland is actually ranked 10th in the WORLD for the safest , cleanest and all round nice spot to live , and not just in this ( http://www.prosperity.com/country.aspx?id=IE ) ranking

now have a look at where so of our supposed " betters " are ranked

eat our dirt UK France and Germany

ITS NOT ALL ABOUT THE ECONOMY STUPID :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread is old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement