Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rereading one of my favourite poets. (Not clear if she was atheist or agnostic though.)
    I talk to God but the sky is empty.
    Miracles occur.
    If you care to call those spasmodic
    Tricks of radiance
    Miracles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

"As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice."

- Adolf Hitler

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m0ez71dVRe1r1flimo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

196362.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BraveInca

We atheists lead happy lives, never concerned with the-dying-and-burn forever-in-hell nonsense. We know better. We enjoy happiness with our friends and neighbors and ignore all the greed and rituals that pay the parasite priests.

Let them wallow in their medieval superstition while we enjoy all the wonders of our God-free universe.

- Harry Harrison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BraveInca

Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.

- Christopher Hitchens

tumblr_m0x22mItn01qjw4gko1_500.jpg

^^^ Richard Hofstadters' "The paranoid style in American politics" is worth a read:

http://www.harpers.org/archive/1964/11/0014706

tumblr_m0xum5gDXj1r71s6t

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ That's a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Alan Clark from the Guardian:

"In my 60 years, I've watched organised religion scream in protest against almost every measure that has made our world more humane, compassionate and civilised."

I like that, it's going in the sig.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

“Faith in God means believing absolutely in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing absolutely in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. We are the true believers.”
    ― Joss Whedon.

Video here:

The Avengers had better be good!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Jernal wrote: »
    The Avengers had better be good!:mad:

Have faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

"Oh for fuck sake... It's all just fairy stories, isn't it?" - Spoken by XXXXX YYYYYYYY, AKA - My eldest sister, as we were sitting together recently with her newborn daughter in her arms and a priest was on the telly reading from the Bible.

Previously the last Christian of all four Strobe family children.

4 for 4.

Hell is going to be awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

"The most beautiful emotional experience is the mystical.It is the power of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger,who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead.To know what is impenetrable to us really exists,manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primative forms- this knowledge , this feeling , is at the centre of true religiousness. In this sense , and in this sense only i belong to the rank of devoutly religious men."

Albert Einstein.

" You ' ve gotta love livin' baby, ' cause it sure beats the hell out of dyin'."

Frank Sinatra.

Have faith.

With respect, that means if it's rubbish I'm going to have to engage in literal and metaphorical interpretations looking for a deeper meaning to the film so that I can still argue to others and convince myself deep down that it is good.

From the Sandman and Joseph Campbell- in search of the modern myth. I have no idea of his religious views, just thought it was an interesting text with regards to taking ethics from previous civilisations/ religions etc.
    The models have to be appropriate to the time in which you are living, and our time has changed so fast that what was proper fifty years ago is not proper today. The virtues of the past are the vices of today. And many of what were thought to be the vices of the past are the necessities of today...The old-time religion belongs to another age, another people, another set of human values, another universe. By going back you throw yourself out of sync with history.

Adam Savage gives it plenty of welly at the Rally For Reason:

Peripherally, it's a bit sad that a society should need to hold a rally in favor of being reasonable...

tumblr_m1nt1ttngr1qlh1nvo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

tumblr_m1y280DsKi1rqx4rvo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

^ That reminds me of a line from Yeats' The Second Coming:

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

Pity Yeats wasn't an atheist. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He was a whiny bell-end though.

I'm sure I'm the last person to learn this, but the planet's favourite badass meme is none other than Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about Isaac Newton.

199667.jpg

1:35 in the following video:

In before...

199668.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Uh Oh, Theres a Meme there!

Every Frame of this is going to be turned into a new Meme.

From the "Religion and Me - Photo Essay" above (color changed to avoid eyeburn):

200182.jpg

tumblr_m2cmo2MH4l1qmzm7bo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

tumblr_m2e49fS6dt1qll6hyo1_500.jpg

Advertisement