Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes & More Quotes by Atheists (sig fodder inside)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

"The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." ~ Delos B. McKown

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Linoge wrote: »
    "I'm still an atheist, thank God."
    Luis Bunuel

Love this one. May add it to me sig. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

"All I say is that I think that it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hair-splitter to pretend that I don’t regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of rational evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist. The chance’s of theism’s truth being to my mind so microscopically small, I would be a pedant and a hypocrite to call myself anything else."
    H.P. Lovecraft

"My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy'"
    David Attenborough

(David Attenborough calls himself an agnostic rather than an atheist though, which doesn't surprise me considering he has received hate mail from creationists for not crediting god with creating the natural world in his documentaries)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am fond of the two in my signature, and here are a couple more. I have to say, I am partial to some of the quotes from religious people...
    The christian believer is a simple person: bishops should protect the faith of their little people against the power of intellectuals.

This used to be in my signature and is still one of my favourites:
    Epicurus wrote:
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
    Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing?
    Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing?
    Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God?

Another favourite:
    Voltaire wrote:
    Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool

And another...
    You can tell you have created God in your own image when it turns out that he or she hates all the same people you do.

I think that will do for now. I am going to watch the Mentalist.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Originally Posted by Bishop Ratzinger, 31 December 1979
    The christian believer is a simple person: bishops should protect the faith of their little people against the power of intellectuals.

Soooo like this. Especially in light of what my mum (Irish, Catholic) told me last night. Apparently a couple of days before she was to marry an English, Anglican in an Anglican church in England a priest came to see her. He then laid in to amongst other things about what she was doing to her family, she told him he had no right to speak for her parents (they were living in Ireland). As this priest was leaving he said she was a highly intelligent women - it was not meant as a complement.

Incidentally they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

"Out of ignorance came fear, out of fear came god"
    -Unknown

(Anybody have an idea where this one came from? Google fails me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

muppeteer wrote: »
    "Out of ignorance came fear, out of fear came god"
    -Unknown

(Anybody have an idea where this one came from? Google fails me)

I think you're quoting that from common sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭jayzusb.christ

He then laid in to amongst other things about what she was doing to her family, she told him he had no right to speak for her parents (they were living in Ireland). As this priest was leaving he said she was a highly intelligent women - it was not meant as a complement.

Incidentally they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary next year.

That brought a smile to my face in a way that a smiley can't properly express. Fair play to your mother - an extremely brave move for an Irish woman 50 years ago. A priest advising on matters of marriage - fuxake, you might as well ask a lifelong vegetarian about how to cook a good steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Always my favourite for it's honesty and forthrightness. Doesn't quite encapsulate my current philosophy on how to conduct myself in the world....but comes very very close.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Diderot

strobe wrote: »
    Always my favourite for it's honesty and forthrightness. Doesn't quite encapsulate my current philosophy on how to conduct myself in the world....but comes very very close.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Diderot
    I like that. A lot. Obviously I am not condoning the strangling of royalty with the entrails of the clergy, but I do like the quote.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

MrPudding wrote: »
    I am fond of the two in my signature, and here are a couple more. I have to say, I am partial to some of the quotes from religious people...
    Originally Posted by Anne Lamott
    You can tell you have created God in your own image when it turns out that he or she hates all the same people you do.

I think that will do for now. I am going to watch the Mentalist.

MrP

I simply love this one... it sums up everything I find wrong with people proclaiming faith... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

strobe wrote: »
    Great quote, that. I posted it on Facebook a few months back and freaked some people out. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

130597.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Volaire, on his death bed, asked for a priest so he could confess and make peace with God. Alas his friends rallied round and helped him stay the course.

"be careful what you wish for " would be the the quote worth remembering

Volaire, on his death bed, asked for a priest so he could confess and make peace with God. Alas his friends rallied round and helped him stay the course.

Yawn.

MrP

Yawn.

MrP

don't take my word for it

Voltaire, the famous skeptic,
    Voltaire died a terrible death. His nurse said: "For all the money in Europe I wouldn’t want to see another unbeliever die! All night long he cried for forgiveness."

icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"If that comes it'll be when I'm very ill; when I'm half-demented either by drugs or by pain and I won't have control over what I say. I mention this in case you ever hear a rumour later on, because these things happen and the faithful love to spread these rumours: 'On his deathbed, he finally...' Well, I can't say that the entity that by then wouldn't be me wouldn't do such a pathetic thing, but I can tell you that, not while I'm lucid, no. I could be quite sure of that."
    -Christopher Hitchens, responding to the question of whether he would ever consider a conversion, even to "hedge his bets."

is someone confusing Christopher Hutchins with Voltaire?

Hello..o

is someone confusing Christopher Hutchins with Voltaire?

Hello..o

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

From my point of view, the Hitchens quote is more about the fact that deathbed confessions are a tricky business. He's trying to convert because he's dying and he's afraid. It's being a completely different person than what you were. With fear being such a driving force behind human actions, it's not surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

A man decides to hedge his bets on his death bed. What's your point?

"What's that to do with the price of turnips?" is another quote I like to use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Voltaire died a terrible death. His nurse said: "For all the money in Europe I wouldn’t want to see another unbeliever die! All night long he cried for forgiveness."

icon14.gif
    Thumbs up?

Are you saying you're happy that a human being died in agony?

Improbable wrote: »
    From my point of view, the Hitchens quote is more about the fact that deathbed confessions are a tricky business. He's trying to convert because he's dying and he's afraid. It's being a completely different person than what you were. With fear being such a driving force behind human actions, it's not surprising.

Yup, that was my point, and its relevance to the post on "Volaire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Improbable wrote: »

Frankly you might as well convert. Pascal's theorem and all that.

Although I have wondered would fake conversions really fool the Almighty Creator of the Universe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

When my neighbor was dying she kept asking for her sister who had been dead for 30 years.

"pain and fear makes you say crazy shit" would be the quote worth remembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Death bed recantations only confirms my suspicion on why people believe in god - fear of death.

Yawn.

MrP

I just wish my username was Mr Pie.
    I'll go now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

'Sin only lies in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.' - Robert A. Heinlein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! . . . But He loves you!" —George Carlin

a great quote from a great man. :)

and here are some more

I wanna live. I don’t wanna die. That’s the whole meaning of life: Not dying! I figured that **** out by myself in the third grade.

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Advertisement